Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

Discouraging Offers and Low Ballers

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I go mad for V50 / V70's R Designs, they fly out the door and i will pay over book (very rare)......... I had a one owner 2008 V50 D5 R Des, with 220k on it last month and it flew out within a week... 

220k...you're brave!

I think a lot of it is location...a Volvo estate makes sense down you're neck of the woods but around central Brighton it's not got the same appeal. When they have a lump in them though it's hard to say no. It's just the punters I can't stand.

I find to price cars at your best and stick firm, my typical response to customers who ask "what will you knock off?" I reply "A wing mirror!". 

The best ones are callers from Cornwall or London and who ask for a deal, they normally get my "the reason you are calling me from 200 miles away is because car is the cheapest is it not?"

Or customers who ask "what negotiation is there?" I reply "We are always happy to negotiate upwards"

I think we're going about this entirely wrong.  We should all change our headers to

Advert Like:
£14,795
"Price? Try Me!"

Message From Buyer: Best Price Cash

Message From Us: £16,000

Message From Buyer: But advert says £14,795

Message From Us: But you started the barter?  This is how it works, I go high, you go low, we even out at £15,500

Now I've typed it, it's not that funny... Maybe I need this weekend off HaHa!!!!!

Think I slightly offended a customer yesterday, we have a landrover at £11995 customer test drives says will let me know...

rings up an hour later and the first line is..... well I have parkers guide infront of me and it says it should retail for 10k, not a problem mrs... have you rang parkers and asked them to supply you a car for that price ?

she didn't get the sarcasm and actually said no where is the their enquiry hotline I cant seem to fine it haha. after explaining you cant actually ring them as they don't buy or sell cars she kind of understood but said well why do they exist then !!!!

18 minutes ago, tradex said:

"why do they exist then"

available at the checkout, kids grab sweets, bigger kids grab a Parkers....works both ways though on some cars.

Yes suppose so.

I’ve often wondered that myself. I told a greedy punter last week (asking why they existed as I thought they’re Mickey Mouse) that it was to get a couple of quid from gullible punters at the supermarket. He didn’t seem impressed & although I’m still awaiting him phoning me the car he was attempting to barter on has gone. Perhaps Parker’s has supplied him with one!!!!!

Mr C, when purchasing a parachute would you be wanting the cheapest..................................

If all you want is cheap, buy a lesser vehicle from a lesser seller.

48 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Mr C, when purchasing a parachute would you be wanting the cheapest..................................

If all you want is cheap, buy a lesser vehicle from a lesser seller.

Very very true, I’ll use that the next time a punter is trying it on.

I’ve a couple of cars with recent cambelts, tyres & clutches etc. and after quizzing me about them a punter tried to chip me £500! I nearly choked!! So I offered to reinstall the old clutch & the worn out tyres. He then proceeded to pull out his phone to show me a Facebook advert - you couldn’t even see the registration no. of the car, never mind the lack of information regarding service history etc. “F***ing Facebook” I cried! “Go on, fill yer boots!!”.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Very very true, I’ll use that the next time a punter is trying it on.

I’ve a couple of cars with recent cambelts, tyres & clutches etc. and after quizzing me about them a punter tried to chip me £500! I nearly choked!! So I offered to reinstall the old clutch & the worn out tyres. He then proceeded to pull out his phone to show me a Facebook advert - you couldn’t even see the registration no. of the car, never mind the lack of information regarding service history etc. “F***ing Facebook” I cried! “Go on, fill yer boots!!”.

exactly, some of our cars will be £500+ more expensive than some 'private ads' but I wonder if the private ads have new mots, cambelt change, service and two tyres, what would that cost joe bloggs to get sorted? MOT £50, cambelt, £300, service £120, tyres £120? hmmm then there is the warranty and CRA on their side.

Hahaha these people are priceless.... Ebay Advert, Car up for £13,900.... "Will you take £10k mate?"...

"EDIT - Stands me in just shy of £12,400 and I'll service it when it sells, new MoT and add a warranty...  It amazes me people still think we have 2-5k in cars... Idiots"

Guys you've got to lighten up and see the funny side.  I used to get insulted and annoyed, now I just pity them and laugh, sounds bad but that's what they deserve... Muahahaha

Edited by Earunder

4 hours ago, Earunder said:

Hahaha these people are priceless.... Ebay Advert, Car up for £13,900.... "Will you take £10k mate?"...

"EDIT - Stands me in just shy of £12,400 and I'll service it when it sells, new MoT and add a warranty...  It amazes me people still think we have 2-5k in cars... Idiots"

Guys you've got to lighten up and see the funny side.  I used to get insulted and annoyed, now I just pity them and laugh, sounds bad but that's what they deserve... Muahahaha

I have no tolerance for cretins....... DELETE....... Muahahahahaha 

• Like 1

I had a classic yesterday;

60 plate Golf (I know, I know) 60k, good history, tidy but hard to get excited over. It's between £200 - £400 below market value depending on which guide you look at, so basically if you phone up on it you should be buying it.

Get the call, likes the look, needs a car and it's in budget. Post test drive and he loves the steering and power but can't proceed without talking to the garage he uses first because...

"I just find it a bit strange that the cambelt and water pump have been done so recently so I think it might have a few issues you're not disclosing"

I'm usually pretty polite but that did manage to tip me just over the edge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

I had a classic yesterday;

60 plate Golf (I know, I know) 60k, good history, tidy but hard to get excited over. It's between £200 - £400 below market value depending on which guide you look at, so basically if you phone up on it you should be buying it.

Get the call, likes the look, needs a car and it's in budget. Post test drive and he loves the steering and power but can't proceed without talking to the garage he uses first because...

"I just find it a bit strange that the cambelt and water pump have been done so recently so I think it might have a few issues you're not disclosing"

I'm usually pretty polite but that did manage to tip me just over the edge.

had the same today, customer was very concerned that our 47k mile hatchback had had its cambelt and water pump replaced................it's 13 years old.

• Like 1

Suspicious/dishonest people are the ones who are naturally suspicious of other people because they only sell when they are shafting over other people.

Yesterday phone punter on a car. I ‘had a go’ at him because despite knowing I’ve has the clutch replaced & have stamped the book he asked for the receipt!!! I asked “Do your sort not trust anyone? I’ve had it done, I’ve stamped the book so do you really want me to also write out a receipt to myself?” No answer.

Another phone punter one on a £1000 car. It turns out he’s ex-trade (aren’t they always!!!) and is phoning on behalf of a friend. He’s never even read the advert, him/his friend are obviously the greedy, suspicious type but when he tells me he’s 120 miles away but his friend is only 5 miles away I blow my top. I ask “why can’t your friend be bothered to phone me, why is he phoning you? You don’t have the bloody car & I’m going to tell him the same as I tell you”.

I’d never make a sale to this pair of arseholes so I confirm again that he claims he’s ex-trade & then give him it with both barrels. After about 2 minutes of me ranting about penniless messers f***ing us about etc. he says he’ll “report back to his friend & let him know”!!!! Some f***ing trader he is/was, not even got the backbone to tell me to f.o. :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tradex said:

:D...clutch feels funny? 

.... you mean it doesn't feel fucked after your knackered Bora one. 

How did s that happen....wrong thread....I blame my phone....the keys feel funny... 

On the right subject, yup the suspicious, horrible ones are the type that change batteries over on their px....seen it too many times. 

Batteries,and they would Keep jacks,w/braces,spare wheels and tax discs etc .....can anyone beat this one....back in the day,..I was collecting from a main dealer having underwrote a swapper,the punter had taken out the radio and carefully stuck a life size photograph of the exact radio in its place.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Batteries,and they would Keep jacks,w/braces,spare wheels and tax discs etc .....can anyone beat this one....back in the day,..I was collecting from a main dealer having underwrote a swapper,the punter had taken out the radio and carefully stuck a life size photograph of the exact radio in its place.....

Genius haha, few examples of customer taking the actual gear stick knob, Always seem to be on Citroen C1 where they just twist and come off. even caught a customer doing this and said why have you done that, answer well you must have lots of replacements you wont miss it, she wasn't even buying another c1 what was she going to do with it I wonder.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dan W said:

what was she going to do with it I wonder.

I bet i've bought loads of bloody handbooks, parcel shelves and gear knobs off her...what's her eBay id? :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Suspicious/dishonest people are the ones who are naturally suspicious of other people because they only sell when they are shafting over other people.

1 million percent spot on!

I  bought a cheap "runabout" for myself at auction. Just something cheaper to run round in and easier to find somewhere to park than the car transporter I was running about in.

A 1.6l petrol, 50k mile, one owner car with factory SATNAV in ok condition for what it is... A Fiat Stilo Dynamic. What a gem

Anyway long story short I found a better solution and I made the very difficult decision to part with my 1.6l petrol, 50k mile, one owner car with factory SATNAV gem in ok condition.

I advertised it for the bargain sum of £700, I noted in the description the fuel type and even included photographs of the car. Photos which the reg no. could be read.

1st enquiry, "can I have the reg no so I can get insurance quote?" The photos could not have been clearer

2nd enquiry, "is it Diesel?" Advert clearly states 1.6l Petrol

3rd enquiry, "how much r u after" Well I advertised it for £700, have a guess I thought. I said I would accept £600. He replied "thanks, its a nice car but a bit high for me". How much was he expecting off a car advertised for £700?

I know I may have run slightly off topic, but what is wrong with these people?

11 hours ago, EmmGp said:

I  bought a cheap "runabout" for myself at auction. Just something cheaper to run round in and easier to find somewhere to park than the car transporter I was running about in.

A 1.6l petrol, 50k mile, one owner car with factory SATNAV in ok condition for what it is... A Fiat Stilo Dynamic. What a gem

Anyway long story short I found a better solution and I made the very difficult decision to part with my 1.6l petrol, 50k mile, one owner car with factory SATNAV gem in ok condition.

I advertised it for the bargain sum of £700, I noted in the description the fuel type and even included photographs of the car. Photos which the reg no. could be read.

1st enquiry, "can I have the reg no so I can get insurance quote?" The photos could not have been clearer

2nd enquiry, "is it Diesel?" Advert clearly states 1.6l Petrol

3rd enquiry, "how much r u after" Well I advertised it for £700, have a guess I thought. I said I would accept £600. He replied "thanks, its a nice car but a bit high for me". How much was he expecting off a car advertised for £700?

I know I may have run slightly off topic, but what is wrong with these people?

Must’ve been drunk when initially reading the advert? Beggars belief.

we had one yesterday, said they’d buy our 4x4 and needed it ASAP due to snow and work, so we said no problem, dropped it down to them, drove it, loved it, then proceeded to offer us £3400 because the insurance company have valued it at £2200 and won’t change their valuation....

We’ve got it on at £4550.

I was literally speechless, got back in it and drove home.

Edited by justlooking

17 minutes ago, justlooking said:

we had one yesterday, said they’d buy our 4x4 and needed it ASAP due to snow and work, so we said no problem, dropped it down to them, drove it, loved it, then proceeded to offer us £3400 because the insurance company have valued it at £2200 and won’t change their valuation....

Your mistake was taking a car to their house. 

Nothing should leave the premises until FULL payment has been received.

37 minutes ago, justlooking said:

I would send them a ‘bad weather related’ call out bill for the demo.You won’t get paid but it might give them a headache.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Your mistake was taking a car to their house. 

Nothing should leave the premises until FULL payment has been received.

Agree, learn the hard way

42 minutes ago, justlooking said:

Agree, learn the hard way

When a punter says,I have the money,it is what I want,if you could bring it out please and I like it,I will buy it.....if it is not to far away,what do you do.If they sound reasonable,in my book,you surely can’t say,you must pay for it first,then I will come out.

48 minutes ago, trade vet said:

When a punter says,I have the money,it is what I want,if you could bring it out please and I like it,I will buy it.....if it is not to far away,what do you do.If they sound reasonable,in my book,you surely can’t say,you must pay for it first,then I will come out.

all buyers are liars