Wheelerdealer1

How are the DVLA update times for car tax ?

In addition, before Oct 1 this was common practice for all of the Trade and no issues have ever been had with those cars that were 'in trade' so I see no reason why that should change.

The vehicle is being driven by a Bona Fide motor dealer, is taxed and insured. Where's the beef?

Don't shoot the messenger! :D  The old defence of "its ok, I'm trade" doesn't stand up any more. Just as a general 'heads up', if you are driving a car thats showing no current keeper, for whatever reason, you'll get a tug. ;)

Don't shoot the messenger! :D  The old defence of "its ok, I'm trade" doesn't stand up any more. Just as a general 'heads up', if you are driving a car thats showing no current keeper, for whatever reason, you'll get a tug. ;)

Why would you ..every car I've driven for years would come up as no current keeper, as long as it's taxed and you've registeted with the MID no problem.... If you did get a tug for a traffic offence and the copper said its not registered to you ,.. Your a trader ..what's the problem

The car I taxed to use was £300 per year, I followed What GG did but opted for direct debt, once sold I will cancel the direct debt

So lets see what happens in Jan 2015 when I sell it, but from what GG did seems Easy enough to go back and retax for the new keeper

That's what i'm saying. I can't work out how and why it would be different from before.

A couple of questions have come to mind though:

If a car is taxed using the V5C/2, is there a time limit before the full V5 has to be sent on? There never seemed to be previously, as we all know. Even now, I'll hold back a V5 for a few days after handover, just in case it all goes tits up and needs unwinding.

I guess there must be some kind of flag against the vehicle record to prevent a refund of the new tax going back to the previous keeper when the keeper change is finally notified.

Or is there? Can you imagine the chaos if that wasn't the case?

What about the many, many thousands of vehicles on Contract Hire? As all the paperwork is kept and dealt with by the C/H companies, how do all those drivers know if their cars have been re-taxed every year? At least a tax disc came through the post previously, so you knew it was done, but I know of some where that didn't happen automatically and had to be chased.

But if you use the v5c and do direct debt you don't need to worry about a refund, just drive it for a month or two then cancel the direct debt before you sell to the next keeper

Well that's my plan !

Why would you ..every car I've driven for years would come up as no current keeper, as long as it's taxed and you've registeted with the MID no problem.... If you did get a tug for a traffic offence and the copper said its not registered to you ,.. Your a trader ..what's the problem

They're just tightening up on things. Some unscrupulous people dont bother registering cars to escape fines etc, coppers are getting wise to it, trade or not. But there's no actual legal "exclusion" for trade to drive cars with no registered keeper, just that historically police werent bothered. But with the whole system being based on their ability to track offenders details through ANPR technology its hardly surprising they get the 'ump. I remember in the old days they used to turn a blind eye to traders driving untaxed cars, look how that turned out :D

Oh dear, we are still none the wiser!.......  Come on, someone on here must know the definite answer to this one? :huh:

Thing is, James, what we're really trying to do is find a loophole to enable us to run a few cars for the benefit of the business, without reducing their value by adding keepers to the V5s. So we're chucking around a few theories and ideas about how that might happen.

What we don't want is some bod from the DVLA clocking on and slamming a door that might be a tiny bit open.

;)

• Like 2

Thing is, James, what we're really trying to do is find a loophole to enable us to run a few cars for the benefit of the business, without reducing their value by adding keepers to the V5s. So we're chucking around a few theories and ideas about how that might happen.

What we don't want is some bod from the DVLA clocking on and slamming a door that might be a tiny bit open.

;)

Seriously, bearing in mind how many years its been going on, do you 'really' think DVLA havent noticed what we're up to?

Hi long time lurker thought i would give some input here

MY motor trade insurance specifies that any car i use must be registered to me so taxing a car on  a standing order but not sending the log book off would mean i would be uninsured,this was in my updated terms this year (2014) for the first time

• Like 1

hmmm.

Time for a new insurance company, methinks.

If you have to be the registered keeper to be insured, then it isn't a Trade policy.

Ok my policy says I can't insure a car registered to another householder, like my wife or parents who live with me

I pay extra for social and domestic cover aswell, now I'm confused

Yeah, that's Fronting, which is illegal. But you can have anyone as a named driver, as long as they are not the Primary User.

However, a Trade Policy that states the trader has to be the keeper as well as the owner of any vehicle is a strange thing indeed. I'm hoping it's an exception rather than the beginning of a trend.

It will also make having loan cars on Contract Hire a bit difficult too.

If you think about it and the choices we now have its pretty straight forward

Car in trade cant be taxed realisatically so you run it on trade plates so as to trade within the law

Car you run as a daily user is in your name and an agreed value with insurer which can be more than the standard trade payout only  (i use this specifically for my car transporter)

Trade plates are on the mid so cover you in anything you are driving but in my case it doesnt cover left hand drive super cars or kit cars to get a better rate

I found out many years ago i cant drive the wives car on a motor trade policy as its insured in her name so cant go on my trade policy too as then it would be insured twice so im a named driver on her personel policy,

The only time this  could change was is if i  wasnr a named driver on her policy but wanted take it off her to do trade work like repair  or say taking it for an mot

Cars in trade and smoked around was always a grey area and used and abused by many, so although it was a nice perk to take something home with lots of petrol or a bit different i must now be getting to an age where it honestly doesn't bother me that its not feasable any more

comments observations most welcome   sb