EmmGp

Trade plates

Evening all,

I'm Craig

Found this forum a few weeks ago and have been flicking through some of the topics.

It's good to see I'm not alone when trying to find good stock at sensible prices, having phone calls at all hours desperate to see a car the following day then don't show up and the  "will you take £700" on a car advertised at £1295 types... yea course I will.

Anyway, enough of that. I've got a question about trade plates I'm hoping somebody might be able to advise on. I sent off to renew them and have heard nothing back from DVLA. I phoned DVLA today to check they received the form as I've not had anything back and obviously I need the trade plates. I was told it could take up to 8 weeks and that I shouldn't use them until I get confirmation/receipt. Surely that can't be right? 

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, CRAIG

I had a reminder for mine and sent back application registered post on the 18th of December and am still waiting...

Phoned DVLA and got the same answer, possibly 8 weeks...

Only just got mine thro last week. Previous expired dec. They said as long as u sent the forms off keep using the plates as they had a big backlog

They always seem to take ages to notify. I sent my cheque off as soon as I got the reminder and I only got the confirmation last week.

I'm surprised they have not put it online yet, surely it cant be hard?

I haven't received mine as yet, i called DVLA, quoting my plate number, they said as long as you have sent them in before the 31st December you should get them, they have a back log. I reckon its because of the extra insurance documents requested by DVLA. When you call them you have to keep asking them questions because they don't like to say a lot, eventually they will investigate for you and confirm if they have your application. I sent mine in on 30th December the DVLA said they have got my application and it is being processed and they will issue them, they said I can keep using them. My cheque for the trade plates has not been banked yet either.

Thanks for the replies,

Just keep using them then, got no choice really have we?

Why you cant do it online and pay by card is beyond me in this day and age. Trade plates are the only time ever use a cheque book.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

its just a joke, were not clear how we can display them legally yet safely, theres no site where you can check if theyre indate, they are abused by even the most experienced, and customers always think they are "insurance plates " ?:rolleyes:

I know a trader who uses them instead of buying tax for his Range Rover!! 

• Like 1

got my acknowledgement letter back off them this week. I sent my "cheque" (who uses cheques) off early December, funnily enough it still hasnt been cashed!!!!!

I must have been lucky as I got my confirmation back on 13/12/17.

they havent cashed my cheque yet but seeing as they cant even get my trading name right with the letter sent out last year then im not worried

they can do one boyo

Edited by s and b

Last years cheque wasn’t cashed until March.

Still no confirmation or anything yet this year.

On the note of trade plate, has anyone got full guidelines on the use of them? ie how far from base etc 

Oh dear I applied for trade plates 10 days ago for the first time. Sounds like I could be in for a long wait!