Hi all,

I though it could be interesting to hear where you get your stock from, the things you like about various options but more interestingly the things that annoy you, cost you time & money and you wish could be avoided.

I'm guessing many of you use auctions and trade-to-trade sites but what about other sources and what would you change about them if you could?

Chris.

Hi Andy,

That sounds very interesting I will look out for it.  I know it can be difficult to get the enough but more importantly the right information when working online.

It is one of the things we are working hard on at the moment, finding a way to get as much information entered on vehicles as quickly, accurately and easily as possible. We are also working to make sure the motivation is their for people to list their car accurately.  It's a tricky balance but we are confident dealers will like the results.

I look forward to hearing about the other challenges you have written about and to hearing the views of others on the forum.

Chris.

Although online buying is a great step forward to widen the net, it relies on the seller being honest particularly if you are relying on an agent to collect the car. I've had some great buys ( better than expected) and some rip off's, where the seller hides behind the "i don't mechanically check the car". A broken clutch is fairly obvious i'd say !

Sill can't beat 'kicking the tyres'

• Like 2

Agree with Andy, some cars are just off loaded problem cars, then the trade to trade is just a way for some to sell at close to cap clean, only to hide faults, although to be fair I have rejected a few cars with only a wasted petrol bill to pay

Yea unfortunately there is always going to be those who are not honest, it is one of those annoying facts of life.

Like you say though if you can do a final inspection and reject the vehicle if it not as described it does give you some protection.  You could even ask the public to bring the car to you rather than collect so you don't even have to risk the fuel bill.

If you could get this service for free with no monthly charge you could have very little to lose?

Chris

I tend to buy from BCA using BMW open and VWFS sales so most cars tend to be 'honest' cars and not there because of a host of faults. I use other online auctions, Sytner and DA and have had seem good buys but I dislike the way dealer try and hide behind the 'Don't mechaniclly check the car' line. I don't expect a full service but a 5 minute test drive and a look under the engine isn't that hard. 

I know ATM tried a process of public selling to the trade ran through autotrader but it seemed to have little success. It was their attempt to take on W.B.A.C.

The idea of a customer bringing the car to me is great, you make an offer etc etc where is falls down is when you don't get an instant answer, I'm the customer will be going around various dealers etc. One of the  reasons I refuse to underwrite is because i'm not prepare to sit on my money not knowing if a car is coming in or not. 

I dislike the way dealer try and hide behind the 'Don't mechaniclly check the car' line. I don't expect a full service but a 5 minute test drive and a look under the engine isn't that hard. 

Yep, been caught out on that a few times !

Yeah you have to be careful with the "not mechanically checked"

however, i sell on Dealer Auction, and some of the buyers are worse then retail customers when it comes checking the cars...

"theres 2 more stone chips on the bonnet you didnt mention" "the undertray is slightly damaged"  etc

With the cars we trade, theres no profit in them, after the fees you might make £100 - £200 if you have a few bidders, but its not enough to spend time mechanically checking. I don't know if a suspension bush is on its way out, or theres a bit of play in a wheel bearing... but unless you state its not been mechanically checked, buyers get arsey if you haven't mentioned it.

CJ....how hard is it to drive the cars and write down what you notice?

A few chips or lose undertray you can cover under the £100 extra for anything missed. A wheel bearing that deafens you or a loud knocking over the smallest bump are easy to notice. 

To say £100-£200 profit doesn't pay to check a vehicle smacks of arrogance, it take 5 mintues to drive the car and a few minutes to write it in a description. No one expects a full service just some honesty.  Most of us non-main dealer types are spending our own money not a big dealer groups

The idea of a customer bringing the car to me is great, you make an offer etc etc where is falls down is when you don't get an instant answer, I'm the customer will be going around various dealers etc. One of the  reasons I refuse to underwrite is because i'm not prepare to sit on my money not knowing if a car is coming in or not. 

Yea I guess you can't keep you bid open for ever as you need to manage your stock and cash flow. What if you could set a time limit on your offer so it expires after a set time period.  You won't get an instant answer but could means you know it is not open ended.

I guess the "not mechanically checked" could really throw a spanner in if there is an expensive fault with the car.  The public can be asked about mechanical questions but they are not going to have the experience a dealer would in diagnosing faults.  The final inspection means you can refuse the car is there is such an issue but it would mean you have held on to your money.  I'm not sure this can be fully mitigated but would be interested in people's ideas and thoughts.

Chris.

CJ....how hard is it to drive the cars and write down what you notice?

A few chips or lose undertray you can cover under the £100 extra for anything missed. A wheel bearing that deafens you or a loud knocking over the smallest bump are easy to notice. 

To say £100-£200 profit doesn't pay to check a vehicle smacks of arrogance, it take 5 mintues to drive the car and a few minutes to write it in a description. No one expects a full service just some honesty.  Most of us non-main dealer types are spending our own money not a big dealer groups

It's not arrogance at all.

Of course we take the vehicles for a spin down the road, on first appraisal before PX and before we upload them to auction site. Anything that is obvious, or not correct, lets say a knock, a rattle, funny noise when changing gear etc of course we will list, last thing any of us want is a hard time on collection

But there can be alot of issues that you cant see, hear, or tell from a run down the road, If we are not aware of an issue, we cant list it.

I don't think dealers (or most decent ones) are trying to hide behind the "not inspected" to sell a shed or a car with a serious issue. Its just a way of being able to cover our backs

I like the idea I must say, maybe with the practicalities worked out you could be on to a winning idea.

If it's made clear that the private buyer must take the car to the winning dealer himself for a final appraisal before payment is made, that will encourage them to be more honest in the description perhaps, WBAC very rarely pay the internet quoted buying price don't forget

I source everything from 'the block' both Manheim and BCA.

I trader friend of mine fom my local BCA branch has got the 2 minute inspection down to an art. When there are some private punters hanging around a car he is interested in he jumps in and 'tests' the clutch. Loudly revving the engine and not clearing the clutch so everyone hears grating gears. :D  

I like the idea I must say, maybe with the practicalities worked out you could be on to a winning idea.

If it's made clear that the private buyer must take the car to the winning dealer himself for a final appraisal before payment is made, that will encourage them to be more honest in the description perhaps, WBAC very rarely pay the internet quoted buying price don't forget

Glad to hear you like it.  The plan is to make it clear to sellers that they need to be honest in the description as there will be an inspection and if the omitted important information the dealer is within their rights to withdraw their offer.  The service is free to dealers, *edited to remove link as requested - Chris*.

I source everything from 'the block' both Manheim and BCA.

I trader friend of mine fom my local BCA branch has got the 2 minute inspection down to an art. When there are some private punters hanging around a car he is interested in he jumps in and 'tests' the clutch. Loudly revving the engine and not clearing the clutch so everyone hears grating gears. :D  

I like his style that is one way to try and get a car for a good price.  Next he will be taking stickers with him that look like scratches! :lol:

Not sure the auction house would be too impressed though.

What is your view on the costs of buying from auction.  They have always seemed quite high to me.

Chris.

Edited by Direct2Dealers

Glad to hear you like it.  The plan is to make it clear to sellers that they need to be honest in the description as there will be an inspection and if the omitted important information the dealer is within their rights to withdraw their offer.  The service is free to dealers, if you would like to sign up you can on our website http://www.direct2dealers.co.uk/registration/ where we also have more information.

I like his style that is one way to try and get a car for a good price.  Next he will be taking stickers with him that look like scratches! :lol:

Not sure the auction house would be too impressed though.

What is your view on the costs of buying from auction.  They have always seemed quite high to me.

Chris.

As far as auctions prices go, Its always been the same, if you buy popular stock then you will have to compete for it. Personally I dont tend to buy 'trendy' bits. I have mates that insist on buying 'privately', but I couldnt spend all day driving around the world looking at cars mis described by private punters!

I understand that Japanese auctions are run purely on computer, you sit in a room with a computer and selected stock, press buy and its delivered to your site. This is obviously where our UK large auction houses are intending to go. But, and its a big but, the Japanese style auctions are built on totally "honest" descriptions! Whereas in my experience, the big UK auctions house will always be up to their old tricks!

Honest and auction just doesn't go together, that's why I always bid online allowing room for those bits of left out costs

Been caught out recently online on a BMW 3 series, looks like it's been resprayed at some point, how they missed that I will never know

The only stuff i buy from the auctions is the nearly new, 2 year old stuff.

Having worked as an inspector at auction sites the reports are pretty bang on physically. And i find there is enough information on the reports to give a good guide.

The only issue is how the inspections work. In my day, the car was in the yard, paperwork, service books and keys etc were locking in an office somewhere. So come the time we inspected, we could only list 1 key, no history, no book pack (if its not there you can't list it) Its down to somebody in the office to change it on the final report if it does have those things. I find some cars i buy at auction listed with 1 key actually have 2, or it has got the history with it.

I do favour the simulcast tho Manheim run. With auction prices being the way they are at the moment, i haven't had a wasted trip around the country to be out bidded on the couple of cars i want. Tho i think charging an extra £40 to buy using it, on top of the fees is a bit steep

I've been a remote buyer (or lazy *******) for years and I have great faith in online auctions these days, they have come on leaps and bounds. Of course sometimes your grade 2 may turn out to be a grade 4 and vice versa but on the whole they are on the money. However, I do wish BCA and Manheim would grade the interior. Last week I bought a Peugeot SW from BCA which was lovely on the body but had sadly been lived in by a pack of Wolves. If I'd of know the interior was very doggy, then just like it being a smoker's car, I'd have left it there so I was a bit gutted. Thankfully though after a couple of days hard labour and a few quid it was a bobby dazzler and has now found a new owner so in the end al'ls well. I like the way Aston Barclay grade their cars both on interior and exterior and can't understand why Manheim and BCA don't do the same, at the very least they should have a comments section informing buyers of smells, pet hairs, etc.

As for the fees, well what lose there we gain by having lower fuel costs, not to mention the savings on auction fry ups and coffee!!

• Like 1

By lower fuel costs you mean the fuel cost of driving around buying cars privately?

I guessing there is a lot to be said for being able to get the car details on-line or in one place, not only savings from fuel but significant amount of time too.

Must be frustrating not know the interior condition, like you say not sure why they couldn't grade it.  We will be including interior details.

So far actions, private buying and trade-to-trade auction sites have been mentioned.  Does anyone get stock from elsewhere (excluding trade-ins of course).

Chris.

Woah woah woah Direct2Dealers. While I love your enthusiasm posting links to business pages is strictly against the forum rules.

Subtle promotion and help advice is fine. Direct links to sign up pages is not allowed.

Please play by the rules. Thanks :)

Woah woah woah Direct2Dealers. While I love your enthusiasm posting links to business pages is strictly against the forum rules.

Subtle promotion and help advice is fine. Direct links to sign up pages is not allowed.

Please play by the rules. Thanks :)

whoops. Sorry.

I will edit the post now.

Chris.

No worries Chris. We love your involvement and the conversations - just no direct promotion. If you need help with that that's what Car Dealer Magazine and our website can help with. I can put you in touch with the team should you need it.

When will BCA put how many owners on the online catalogue like manheim do?! I always prefer to see (and hear) what I'm buying in person although I have used live online a couple of times.