Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

Merc Autobox, heeeeeeelp

Merc c class coupe 2004, feels in limp mode but no lights, box is fine in tip tronic howver, god, what a week im having, any ideas?

3 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Merc c class coupe 2004, feels in limp mode but no lights, box is fine in tip tronic howver, god, what a week im having, any ideas?

Brake light switch, MAF sensor.....

Used to be quite a few problems with these with the gearbox ECU and cam position sensor.

1 minute ago, andymc1973 said:

see what computer says tomorrow

Probably, "turn it off and back on again":D

3 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

see what computer says tomorrow

These will not show on a generic code reader and rarely on Mercedes STAR system

All the best

Best system is Mercedes STAR, but it depends on the guy scanning it using common sense and some knowledge.

I'm assuming its a petrol ?

Forgot to mention, there is a sort of copy of STAR available as a hand held scanner called the i980 (Mercedes version) for £100

Had that on an E Class once turned out they were prone to a water leak in the box. I bought it back and blocked it. 

1 hour ago, SuperLease said:

Had that on an E Class once turned out they were prone to a water leak in the box. I bought it back and blocked it. 

I think they leak ATF over the loom connector too

Would put money on this being either the conductor plate on the valve body which commonly fail (less than a ton if you look around) and involve dropping oil pan and removing valve body (only around 12 bolts) Or the other issue could be the Transmission electrics have ATF contamination at either the wiring to the conductor plate in the gearbox itself due to failed O-ring or the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) electrical connection under the passenger side footwell.

Any reasonable scanner should be able to read the transmission codes and a multitude of various random codes usually means ATF contamination or if limited to speed sensor faults this usually reflects conductor plate failure.

20 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

It’s chucked back in Auction 

A wise decision IMO.

Got an S320 that is going the same way...standard Merc issue (ie it can be fixed but only for a kings ransom. Shitty German shit.

Did you get the fault codes read as a matter of interest? If there was a problem it should have thrown one up, as often as not there's an easy solution which doesn't cost too much, as a general rule as a mechanic when dealing with an auto box problem first read the fault codes, then check the oil level, then change the oil and filter, usually somewhere along that line you'll have sorted the problem if not then you may be looking at big bucks.

Your car will likely have a ZF box which is fitted to multiple vehicles not just German cars and not made by Mercedes and they're usually reliable units. 

"Shitty German shit Grant are you having a laugh, what's reliable then Vauxhall? French shit? American? Made in Birmingham British?

33 minutes ago, AVI_8 said:

"Shitty German shit Grant are you having a laugh, what's reliable then Vauxhall? French shit? American? Made in Birmingham British?

There all as bad as each other generally but German stuff is an absolute joke given its presumed reliability 'because it's German built'.

10 hours ago, AVI_8 said:

Did you get the fault codes read as a matter of interest? If there was a problem it should have thrown one up, as often as not there's an easy solution which doesn't cost too much, as a general rule as a mechanic when dealing with an auto box problem first read the fault codes, then check the oil level, then change the oil and filter, usually somewhere along that line you'll have sorted the problem if not then you may be looking at big bucks.

Your car will likely have a ZF box which is fitted to multiple vehicles not just German cars and not made by Mercedes and they're usually reliable units. 

I have never fixed a problematic auto box with an oil and filter change. Never once have I been so lucky.

6 hours ago, tradex said:
14 hours ago, AVI_8 said:

Couldn't agree more & I've been saying it for years.  (Really upsets some people who are still deluded they're any good, so I have to bit my tongue) .

(I'm agreeing to the "Shitty German Shit" bit I mean) Only things that ever cause grief. Especially gearboxes.  Hate them.