Sign in to follow this  
justlooking

Manufacturer rejecting warranty claim

I'd be surpised any manufacturer would accept a warranty claim on a vehicle that doesn't have full main dealer history?

• Like 1

good point, one to open up to the floor as it is my understanding that due to block exemption rules introduced in 2002, as long as it's been serviced at the correct interval with the correct items replaced as per the service schedule then this will uphold the warranty.providing genuine parts are used/correct grade oil.

i.e their argument for using genuine parts could be if the engine blows up but you changed the oil at the correct interval - as per the first service at 12k/1year but if you used an inferior aftermarket oil filter and the oil filter fails then the manufacturer could claim that the engine blew up as a direct result of a poor quality filter.

other than that, they have to honour the warranty due to block exemption rules listed here: 

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/service-repair/right-to-repair-campaign

"Servicing a new car

Changes to the BER in 2002 included clauses intended to increase choice when it comes to servicing of a new car. You cannot be obliged e.g. as a condition of warranty, to have your car serviced by a franchised dealer.

Other changes at that time permitted multi-brand showrooms and no longer obliged dealers to combine sales and service/repair – though most have continued to do so.

The work can be carried out by an independent garage as long as that garage uses manufacturer approved parts and correctly follows the manufacturer's service schedule. Independent garages generally have much lower overheads than franchised dealers so their hourly labour rate is also cheaper.

Although you are free to have your car serviced at whichever garage you like - and benefit from the cost savings - you can't then expect much help and goodwill from the manufacturer if the car develops a major fault just after the warranty has expired. Manufacturers often cite lack of loyalty on the customer's part as the reason for their decision not assist with the cost of a repairs after the warranty has expired"

Sorry but I’d of thought the non-dealer stamp would render the manufacturer warranty invalid (even though the service had nowt to do with problem components). If it had been my vehicle that’d of been the first item I’d try to confirm.

As for trading standards commenting about expecting Isuzu to be more helpful I’m afraid that just shows the ignorance of local government employees with regards to the realities of running a commercial business (and having to EARN money). My guess is you’ll have to suck this one up, sorry.

• Like 1

I would ask the retired guy to write a letter, stating if he used genuine parts!?! if so, i think you could argue it,  i didn't think main dealers could hold people to ransom to service for up to 7 years exclusively with them, so long as main dealer parts are used, an avenue worth exploring, we had a Kia with a radio fault, never thought about the 7 year warranty, just rang up to enquire about the fault, the mechanic was very apologetic to tell us that it was just outside the warranty period by weeks!!! no issues of where, who or how the vehicle had been serviced, ok so the work wasn't done, but it does seem to me that Isuzu are wriggling...

On 11/28/2017 at 11:15 AM, Trident said:

I would ask the retired guy to write a letter, stating if he used genuine parts!?! if so, i think you could argue it,  i didn't think main dealers could hold people to ransom to service for up to 7 years exclusively with them, so long as main dealer parts are used, an avenue worth exploring, we had a Kia with a radio fault, never thought about the 7 year warranty, just rang up to enquire about the fault, the mechanic was very apologetic to tell us that it was just outside the warranty period by weeks!!! no issues of where, who or how the vehicle had been serviced, ok so the work wasn't done, but it does seem to me that Isuzu are wriggling...

Edited by apsleycars

I would get on Twitter and say Isuzu are not to be trusted as you have first hand proof that they are in breach of EU regulations by not honouring their manufacturers warranty on a 20k vehicle......I think it would not be long before someone from Isuzu would get in touch !

• Like 2

thanks Trade Vet, I plan on taking over from my customer in talking to ISUZU, seeing as I appear to be liable, and this will definitely something I'll be doing if I don't get anywhere

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

I would get on Twitter and say Isuzu are not to be trusted as you have first hand proof that they are in breach of EU regulations by not honouring their manufacturers warranty on a 20k vehicle......I think it would not be long before someone from Isuzu would get in touch !

If they’re anything like me they;

1) won’t look at Twitter.

2) even if they did they won’t give a toss.

Are we seriously suggesting a whinge on the internet will get the manufacturer to stump up? If that were the case the manufacturers would end up bankrupt.

49 minutes ago, BHM said:

Are we seriously suggesting a whinge on the internet will get the manufacturer to stump up? If that were the case the manufacturers would end up bankrupt.

I'd assume most manufacturers, and large companies, have 'social media experts' as part of their management tools? And yes these things are important now

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Hi BHM

You sound just like me.However,most big corporations are very social media awhere,like airlines,banks,utilities,insurance companies etc, I have had cases where I have been getting nowhere,then my daughter just posts some polite criticism on Twitter and in next to no time she gets a reply and things get sorted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BHM said:

I know! you'd be surprised, as an example I've previously managed to get AMG customer services to help out with an issue when I made daily consistent negative comments on every facebook post their AMG page made. It works

Edited by apsleycars

It surprises me - unlimited warranty claims for all! :D

I service all of our cars that have manufacturer warranty and just use gen parts and include the parts invoice and our no cost service invoice for the customer.

Poor show from Izuzu I would fight it a bit further or simply try another dealer from a different group.

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

I service all of our cars that have manufacturer warranty and just use gen parts and include the parts invoice and our no cost service invoice for the customer.

Poor show from Izuzu I would fight it a bit further or simply try another dealer from a different group.

In this instance their are no reliable records! Just a stamp in a book from someone who doesn't keep records!

I know some manufacturers insist that independent repairers are VAT registered.

I used to work for Isuzu and they will initially wriggle out of it, as will most manufacturers. But Isuzu sell on their reputation and in most cases will come to some sort of agreement.

All you need to do is bypass the dealer and ring Isuzu customer services direct or raise a case online at   https://www.isuzu.co.uk/customer-support

I hope this helps!

7 hours ago, GLW said:

I used to work for Isuzu and they will initially wriggle out of it, as will most manufacturers. But Isuzu sell on their reputation and in most cases will come to some sort of agreement.

All you need to do is bypass the dealer and ring Isuzu customer services direct or raise a case online at   https://www.isuzu.co.uk/customer-support

I hope this helps!

Rory/GLW - thanks, will take this one on and hopefully get something sorted via ISUZU, I'm going to be contacting the dealer to get all relevant info before raising a case via the link supplied.

• Like 1

Best of luck in my experience you stand more chance if you stand behind the current owner. Once the manufacturers get wind you may be liable they will stand their ground. If they think it’s the current owner going to be out of pocket that’s when they are more inclined to protect their brand reputation. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, apsleycars said:

Rory/GLW - thanks, will take this one on and hopefully get something sorted via ISUZU, I'm going to be contacting the dealer to get all relevant info before raising a case via the link supplied.

We had a right nightmare having a minor warranty job dealt with at our most local VW dealership. As we are trade they seem to think we are trying to stitch them up and instantly on the offensive.

Pop down the road to one 15 mins away, different group, and they could not have been more helpful.

Same story with BMW and Vauxhall. 

If at first you get the wrong answer go somewhere else until they tell you what you want to hear :D 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tradex said:

Od isn't it. They get paid for the warranty work afterall. I do know that VW/Audi goodwill is very scarce at the moment due to, erm issues with recalls...

If only it was that straight forward!

The EU mandatory warranty is okay for none main dealers to do (2 years or 3 years I think)  The remained of the 7 years is dependent upon a main dealer service schedule I believe as it does not fall within the EU legislation.