Sign in to follow this  
trade vet

£400m for charging stations

If there could  be government grants available for charging stations,it may be worth looking at.There will be a huge demand in the future from those people with EVs who do not have off street parking.In some areas it will probably be quite lucrative to operate a charging station.

• Like 1

So people leave them with you overnight? What do you charge, though? Nearly everyone who buys EVs does so as a cost centric purchase so the idea of an additional cost is a bit against the concept, but in the future where everyone has one, housing is more compact etc etc it might work....? Presumably someone comes in when their car is nearing 'empty' and leaves it with you, if Elon's new invention is anything to go by as a baseline that will be every 600 miles; so once a month for alot of people. I suppose at £30 a charge it's alot cheaper than fuel...

30 spaces x £30 a charge = £900 a day = £328,000 a year... might be a better use for my forecourt when these things become the most popular?

Give it 15-20 years I reckon.

56 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

30 spaces x £30 a charge = £900 a day = £328,000 a year... might be a better use for my forecourt when these things become the most popular?

yah

for that kinda money i would sit in my ma baker chair all night with mar shotgun looking for critters lookin far trouble:lol:

I may be wrong but I think Motorway services charge 17p per kwh and a £3 connection fee, I pulled onto M6 services today and out of 10 charging points 10 were not being used,,, reminds me of video 2000 and betamax..... 

1 hour ago, Mojo121 said:

Presumably someone comes in when their car is nearing 'empty' and leaves it with you

So when they leave it at the charge station how do they get home and then back again to pick it up in the morning? Taxi, bus or walk? 

I like the idea of all this stuff but how long until Musk goes bust and this whole EV thing takes a big confidence knock?

42 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

So when they leave it at the charge station how do they get home and then back again to pick it up in the morning? Taxi, bus or walk? 

I like the idea of all this stuff but how long until Musk goes bust and this whole EV thing takes a big confidence knock?

We may be 12 years away from this,but by then recharges may be down to 1 or 2 hours.I agree about Tesla,the Tesla 3 is killing them.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

If there could  be government grants available for charging stations,it may be worth looking at.There will be a huge demand in the future from those people with EVs who do not have off street parking.In some areas it will probably be quite lucrative to operate a charging station.

You're right, but you can bet that when there's a 'huge demand' there's a huge price increase in electricity

2 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

What do you charge, though?

the car hopefully :D

budget= 

4.15 Ultra-low emission vehicles – To support the transition to zero emission vehicles, the government will regulate to support the wider roll-out of charging infrastructure; invest £200 million, to be matched by private investment into a new £400 million Charging Investment Infrastructure Fund; and commit to electrify 25% of cars in central government department feets by 2022. The government will also provide £100 million to guarantee continuation of the Plug-In Car Grant to 2020 to help consumers with the cost of purchasing a new battery electric vehicle. (26)

So, if every household is charging a car, where is all this increased demand for electricity going to be coming from?

Every household won't be charging a car tomorrow, in 30 years time when the whole fleet is electric and autonomous i can see the power will be drawn predominantly from renewable.

On 22/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, whitestone679231 said:

I may be wrong but I think Motorway services charge 17p per kwh and a £3 connection fee, I pulled onto M6 services today and out of 10 charging points 10 were not being used,,, reminds me of video 2000 and betamax..... 

Imagine going from Scotland to London in an EV at the moment - it’d take all bloody week!

As for EVs being the saviour of our cities, anyone who visits central London will realise that 99% of homes don’t have off road parking (what the hell do you guys expect for a £1M flat in Kensington? :lol:).

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Imagine going from Scotland to London in an EV at the moment - it’d take all bloody week!

As for EVs being the saviour of our cities, anyone who visits central London will realise that 99% of homes don’t have off road parking (what the hell do you guys expect for a £1M flat in Kensington? :lol:).

Your right,I think if you started from Glasgow in a Mackem Leaf,with the heater,wipers,lights and music full on,it is doubtful you would make it to Carlisle.Nissan advertise that they can do upto 150 miles on a recharge, but in California the punters found that with the A/C on full, it was about 65 miles.Nissan were fined millions.

On 23/11/2017 at 9:52 AM, MSP Motors said:

Every household won't be charging a car tomorrow, in 30 years time when the whole fleet is electric and autonomous i can see the power will be drawn predominantly from renewable.

The energy companies will be out to make as much money from consumers as possible. Especially and bearing in mind they will be having to invest a fortune upgrading the system. Thirty years is really not a lot of time.

7 hours ago, trade vet said:

Your right,I think if you started from Glasgow in a Mackem Leaf,with the heater,wipers,lights and music full on,it is doubtful you would make it to Carlisle.Nissan advertise that they can do upto 150 miles on a recharge, but in California the punters found that with the A/C on full, it was about 65 miles.Nissan were fined millions.

That's today, in 3 years time the variety and the range of these cars will be different. What % of people drive the distance of London to Glasgow? Most people drive a couple hundred miles per week. The landscape will change extremely fast and how cars are viewed, driven and sold will change completely. This job will change dramatically within the next decade.

On a positive note...........

• Like 1

If we go electric at least we won’t have any diesel injectors gumming up, sticky turbos, blocked EGRs and full DPFs to deal with. Mind you, God help us if the equivalent of the EML illuminates! :unsure:

11 hours ago, MSP Motors said:

That's today, in 3 years time the variety and the range of these cars will be different. What % of people drive the distance of London to Glasgow? Most people drive a couple hundred miles per week. The landscape will change extremely fast and how cars are viewed, driven and sold will change completely. This job will change dramatically within the next decade.

On a positive note...........

Spot on. For me it was a case of realising the fact that I really didn't want it to happen makes no difference at all to the reality that is happening.