Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Looking for some advice from home traders please

Hello, I have recently set up trading from home and wondered what sort if of age/price/make/mileage cars you can sell easily when trading from home without the typical dealership facilities ? 

Do you have certain make/model that you stick to ?

Many thanks.

dammnnnnnnn

i got here a minute late:wacko:

those pesky kids:o

i woulda got away with it if it werent for them:lol:

Sorry Jon but there is good reason why fellow traders are not very forthcoming with help and advice to new traders starting out from home base. 

If you are unsure what you should be buying and selling your in for a tough ride and should be asking yourself are you doing the right thing. It amazes me how people think that being a car dealer is easy, It's not.  The only advice I can give to your question is be prepared to make mistakes and learn from them, from this you will find your answers. 

• Like 2

I can only agree with betginge, if you are asking that question instead of being prepared to suck it and see like the rest of us i am afraid that unless you have an endless pot of gold and balls made of steel you will struggle, selling them is the easy bit, my best advise is to read this forum first, see for yourself how hard this industry is already and have the foresight to see how much worse it will get, good luck in your new venture...

@Jon  What's your background? Why have you decided to get into selling cars? Do you have all your legal & financial obligations in place? Do you understand the CRA 2015? Do you know how much you need to make in this every week/month/year to make this venture viable?

Answer those questions and we may be able to help more

its like me rocking up at the stock exchange and saying what stocks will make me money

Thanks betginge for your response, We have bought some stock from manheim s  and advertised it on AT etc . I were really enquiring as to whether home traders find there is a ceiling on what price people are willing to spend without the comforts of a showroom. Do first time buyer type cars sell from home or do these customers rely on finance ? I were trying to get some advice as to which type of stock would sell more readily from a home environment.

Daylight to answer your questions, I run a number of businesses outside the motor industry but have always been interested in getting into the motor trade. My business partner has been in the motor trade for many years at different levels but has no experience from trading from home . We are fully aware of our legal/ financial obligations and do not want to make a quick buck but want to make a long term success of this business. We are looking for suitable premises at the moment but I am sure you understand it is difficult to find them in the right location at a reasonable rate.

16 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

its like me rocking up at the stock exchange and saying what stocks will make me money

Apparently Auto Trader is a sell.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

dog shit stock as gordon gecko would say

Gordon Gecko would have loved AT:D

so does he want to buy my mary quant mini or what:lol:

its collectable

only today i picked up the tailpipe and a wheel trim

On 21/05/2017 at 8:30 PM, Jon said:

Hello, I have recently set up trading from home and wondered what sort if of age/price/make/mileage cars you can sell easily when trading from home without the typical dealership facilities ? 

Do you have certain make/model that you stick to ?

Many thanks.

I would suggest anything a little out of the ordinary, something you would probably struggle to finance. Forget newish bread and butter stuff, everybody has a forecourt full of them for £20 and a cream bun per week. Anything under £3500 or anything classic or prestige type stock.

Think about your buyers, who would potentially buy that type of car? So a 12 month old corsa / adam would attract a young new driver - student - etc so 99% probably finance. A 1985 Capri would attract a 35 - 45 yr old who will have saved up a few grand for his 40th birthday present to himself so won't need finance. (Can you finance an old Capri???!!!). You just need to work out all the vehicles between my two extreme examples and like has been said before take a gamble like we all have to do! Prepare to get burnt, we all have. The good days are long gone, it's hard work now. It used to be fun, I cannot understand why anyone would want to start out in the trade now but I wish you the best of luck!

Cra2015, none of them know the meaning of it, the punters not the traders 

Crap at around the £1K mark, once you're much above £2-2.5K you'll struggle selling from the door. 

Forget the £5-700 shite, it's not worth the hassle & the punters are, 75% of the time, scum. 

indeed, a few years ago you used to meet some half decent people on the sub grand stuff, people who knew the car "is what it is", not anymore since the inception of the cra  2015 and their inability to undertstand, shit cars shit money=shit people

13 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

indeed, a few years ago you used to meet some half decent people on the sub grand stuff, people who knew the car "is what it is", not anymore since the inception of the cra  2015 and their inability to undertstand, shit cars shit money=shit people

It's nothing to do with the money, these sorts of buyers exist in 'all' price ranges. Especially if you sell anything under £2.5k you can expect to deal with them.

I understand a lot of guys on this forum only sell hand picked beautiful 5-8yr old German performance saloons, but your time will come;)

:D The last thing I want is 5-8yr German problems. Even after fixing them they're never good enough for the greedy credit-card-maxed-to-the-hilt punters they attract.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2017 at 2:36 PM, BHM said:

greedy credit-card-maxed-to-the-hilt punters.

Quote of the week!:D

You can sell any value from home, I sold a £15k VW camper and a £16k bike from home last year..... Both easier sales than the sub £1000 shitters I have recently sold

yup, nightmare the 500-1000 buyers as they have no money and expect the Earth