Sign in to follow this  
MrC

There could be trouble ahead

Sold a 2010 308 1.4 82k miles the other week. She has just been on the phone saying the timing chain has gone and its going to cost £700!! I probed further and it transpires that it was making a noise so she took it to a local garage who have striped it and told her the TC needs replacing.  

Car was up for £2350, it had been freshly serviced by my local garage. Sold it her for £1900 just to see the back of it. Car was faultless when she left

Obviously the car is now it bits 100+ miles away. Told her to contact warrantywise... But we all know whats they are going to say.!

I hate 308's, not that it helps you at all.

Fairly good sellers but terrible cars.

Im not a fan myself, this one did hang around a while though. 

Yeah last one I had was here c. 8 months. Never ran right, fans wouldn't switch off, central locking didn't work, horrible knocking.

Made a substantial loss after moving it on way behind book price in the end.

seeing as its been to a third party and stripped without your say so you could walk away of course and tell them to see you in court

It's really annoying when people do this. If I bought a car and less than a month later there was something wrong with it the first person I'd call is the one who sold it to me to see where I stood. If you buy a laptop out of John Lewis and the screen falls off you don't take it to get repaired and bill them you return it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

It's really annoying when people do this. If I bought a car and less than a month later there was something wrong with it the first person I'd call is the one who sold it to me to see where I stood. If you buy a laptop out of John Lewis and the screen falls off you don't take it to get repaired and bill them you return it.

So very true, particularly on a 5/10 year old second hand 'laptop' that has had many many hours of use :blink:

Customer has completely gone about things the wrong way, I would be evidencing as much as possible for my own records and communicating via email/letter at this point.

You speak to the supplying dealer when you have an issue, it really is that simple. That is what normal people do to get normal problems sorted.

You could instruct an engineer of your own accord and if they agree in the interests of being reasonable with the customer offer to make a goodwill contribution despite customer going about things incorrectly.

Hope I'm not tempting fate but I have not heard off her since Monday. Makes me wonder if she was trying it on

She has just sent me this........

Re: Your Ref: 3130907 / KM60VWC

I regret to inform you that on this occasion your repair has been declined. Your repairer wishes to replace the following part(s) on your vehicle: 1) TIMING CHAIN KIT ASSEMBLY We have received the independent engineers report and these are his findings. The rocker cover had been removed to expose the timing chain. The upper timing chain guide between the camshaft sprockets was visibly broken and sitting in the cylinder head.

The repairer had informed the engineer that they had tempted to time up the engine. The crankshaft locater pin was insitu however the camshafts were visibly out of alignment by approximately half a tooth and the alignment tool could not be fitted

Car is 90+ miles away in Wolverhampton. 

Is that everything you've been sent? Seems a bit disjointed.

I'd ask her outright what her point is and what she expects you to do about it considering you don't have a 90 mile long 10mm ratchet connection...

Sorry I should have said, Thats what she was sent from Warrantywise, she forwarded it to me.

Course they are going to get out of it. Not even sure why they sent an engineer as they never cough up within 30 days or 1000 miles. 

How ever it sounds like the timing has slipped. Im going to guess it now runs like a dog.  If thats the case then this event happened after I sold the car otherwise. A: She would not have bought it and B: it wouldn't have gotten her home.

On 15/05/2017 at 1:48 PM, MrC said:

Sold a 2010 308 1.4 82k miles the other week. She has just been on the phone saying the timing chain has gone and its going to cost £700!! I probed further and it transpires that it was making a noise so she took it to a local garage who have striped it and told her the TC needs replacing.  

Car was up for £2350, it had been freshly serviced by my local garage. Sold it her for £1900 just to see the back of it. Car was faultless when she left

Obviously the car is now it bits 100+ miles away. Told her to contact warrantywise... But we all know whats they are going to say.!

Telling her from the off to contact warranty company was a mistake.Although she had only had the car for a short time,you appear to have given the impression that she was on her own,it was not your problem.Next time this happens,tell the customer to get the garage to  put it back together,then get it collected and either fix it or give a full refund.The fact you reduced the price does not matter.If she takes advice and it goes to a small claims court she can claim far more than the sales price and win.The bottom line is,we are not popular people,when there is a problem,we are always viewed as being in the wrong.In my experience,It is always cheaper to "nip things in the bud".If you have a pitch,these things things happen several times per year !

• Like 1

I rang the garage and he is doing the job for £350. 

Time to wipe my mouth and move on.