DMcC

Buy Now/Bid Now at BCA/Manheim

Hi , has anyone any experience using the bid/buy now listings that are advertised on BCA/Manheim?

I am looking to know are fees on these listings the same/similar to what the fees would be if the car was to go through the ring?

Thanks in advance

Depends what card you've got. The Manheim website explains the procedure and has the fees.

Mannheim website, its been a while since I attempted to go on there, is it still a shambles?

9 hours ago, Reggaj said:

Mannheim website, its been a while since I attempted to go on there, is it still a shambles?

Like all websites. Designed by giuys that don't understand why people use them?:D

• Like 1

I actually prefer the layout of the Manheim website to BCA's... Although both could be improved immensely!

Anyway back to the OP's question... The only difference is the on-line fee in addition to the buyers premium and any Surecheck fees. They charge this whether it be a live on-line auction or buy-it-now. I've never understood this fee at all, as surely it's just a con/revenue generator!?

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I actually prefer the layout of the Manheim website to BCA's... Although both could be improved immensely!

Anyway back to the OP's question... The only difference is the on-line fee in addition to the buyers premium and any Surecheck fees. They charge this whether it be a live on-line auction or buy-it-now. I've never understood this fee at all, as surely it's just a con/revenue generator!?

A little birdie tells me that Manheim are really beefing up their online buying side. New photo/inspection bays being built at Colchester. Who will be the first of the big auction houses to go 'onlline only' I wonder?

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't bought anything from Manheim as of yet, are they really that bad? They seem to have more detailed condition reports for older cars

Be very aware of Manheim's grading when buying online, i've bought cars online that were graded as a 2 and in when collected they were closer to a grade 4! I've stopped buying online because of the inaccurate grading.

1 hour ago, DMcC said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't bought anything from Manheim as of yet, are they really that bad? They seem to have more detailed condition reports for older cars

Online auction purchasing won't work until auction houses can be trusted to honestly describe 'all faults'.

38 minutes ago, metcars said:

Online auction purchasing won't work until auction houses can be trusted to honestly describe 'all faults'.

to be fair it cant happen can it

so many people see selling cars as selling beans

as said in other threads its not

cars are unique in that theres a million things to look at once its not brand new and kevin and his clipboard hasnt got the experiance or training to fully appraise all cars

i got a car back from the mot today and found the heater motors not working so ive taken the dash out as you do,how would you find that by buying from your office laptop:lol:

36 minutes ago, s and b said:

cars are unique in that theres a million things to look at once its not brand new and kevin and his clipboard hasnt got the experiance or training to fully appraise all cars

i got a car back from the mot today and found the heater motors not working so ive taken the dash out as you do,how would you find that by buying from your office laptop:lol:

Yeah but by the same token you wouldn't have picked that up either if you'd been stood out in the cold as the car drives into the hall asking the driver ''How does it drive mate''?

You're always going to get discrepancies and that's accepted. It the blatant lies on condition that's unacceptable, and we've all been bitten at some point.

1 hour ago, s and b said:

That's all very well, but the auction houses clearly feel that online selling is the future (as they're investing a lot of money into it, and it makes life hugely easier for them) so we'll just have to get used to it!

Saves hanging around in the auction hall at one auction all day and only buying the stuff one place has to offer when you can be in 3 auctions online picking the stuff best suited to your business.

Works for me in the time poor world we live in. 

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Saves hanging around in the auction hall at one auction all day and only buying the stuff one place has to offer when you can be in 3 auctions online picking the stuff best suited to your business.

Works for me in the time poor world we live in. 

I agree completely, but It's a bit like online banking, fine until there's a problem.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yeah but by the same token you wouldn't have picked that up either if you'd been stood out in the cold as the car drives into the hall asking the driver ''How does it drive mate''?

You're always going to get discrepancies and that's accepted. It the blatant lies on condition that's unacceptable, and we've all been bitten at some point.

manheim washington, grade 1 320 BMW, needed all 4 wheels, the boot and the front bumper, the boot was visible from outer space

16 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

manheim washington, grade 1 320 BMW, needed all 4 wheels, the boot and the front bumper, the boot was visible from outer space

This is exactly why I've stopped buying from Manheim. I had to reject a vehicle as it required too much paint to make it viable, none of which were on the report. Sadly this wasn't an isolated incident, but by far the worst! I know it's not a perfect system, but Manheim do seem to be really bad! 

It's a shame CDM get a quote from BCA/Manheim about the future of car auctions and/or the direction they are heading?

I cant see a future for online only auctions for bca / man , it only takes one of the big players not to play ball and they have a unique marketing point. am sure they would love to have smaller sites and buildings in the middle of no where with cheap rates and low staff costs but reality it is not going to happen. it only takes a split in customers who want to attend and the online punters and you need to accommodate both or take a massive gamble.

11 hours ago, betginge said:

am sure they would love to have smaller sites and buildings in the middle of no where with cheap rates and low staff costs but reality it is not going to happen.

They are in the middle of nowhere lol... I can't count the amount of times I've said balls to it, and had a car delivered as the auction house in nowhere near the bloody train station, and the journey would have been like a john candy clip out of trains planes and automobiles just to get there! :lol:

21 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

Yeah that's bad Andy and hopefully you got some dollar back for that! They need to held accountable for mis-describing the condition...

What I meant was you wouldn't have detected the heater problem even if you'd been present, but by the sounds of it, you wouldn't have bid at all, or adjusted you bid accordingly given the new evidence.

On 05/04/2017 at 8:34 AM, Mikey said:

They are in the middle of nowhere lol... I can't count the amount of times I've said balls to it, and had a car delivered as the auction house in nowhere near the bloody train station, and the journey would have been like a john candy clip out of trains planes and automobiles just to get there! :lol:

Ha! Manheim Colchester. I have brisk walk to tube station (10mins), central line tube to London Stratford (30mins), Stratford to Colchester (1hr), Colchester main station to town shuttle (10mins), 76 Bus from Colchester town to Manheim, which runs every 70mins! (30mins), Oh and then 20mins to get from the key office to 'top field' where my cars always end up!

Even John Candy couldn't make that journey funny!:D

There is one branch of Manheim that I have a relationship with that enables me to have the cars checked over by one of their buyer services team who know their onions. Always nice to have a second opinion, especially on the mechanical side. Of the cars I've had looked over for me recently, three have come back with 'don't touch it with barge pole, it's knackered', and yet all 37 boxes on the silver report have been ticked. Also, two cars I've recently bought from Manheim (from different branches than above) sold all good on the sure check report I've had to put claims in for, and to be fair they have paid out. Speaking to one or two, there seems to be a pattern going on.

So what's going on? Who is checking these cars, what's the process if any or are they simply playing a numbers game with all these sure check fees?

I know Manheim have posted on here before, I'd love to know their take on this.

Never got the "buy it now" auction. I often have a look through them, Grade 5 - no mechanical report/or warning on "engine noise" that you can buy for Cap Clean money then your £500 fees on top :wacko: are people really that desperate for stock?

What also gets me is the grading on older cars, no condition report, but 5 dim lit photos of a black car from 6ft away is apparently "enough" information to make your own judgement on it.

• Like 1

Hi guys, first time poster been looking at this forum for over a year or so, decided to sign up and share my thoughts.

I find BCA alot more forgiving when it comes to problems under the mechanical report, have had various payouts and cars taken back no quibble when a major problem has been spotted. It does beg the question who is checking these cars as recently bought a car with clean bill of health only to have a severe vibration on the clutch plus flywheel rattling away. I've had too many problems with Manheim so just scares me when buying from them, the last time I bought an Audi A3 with a gold check, every box ticked yet pulled it out and it was in limp mode, EML light on. Went through SureCheck and they declined saying they only do a static check and the EML light was not on at time of inspection. I think it does depend on how well you know them, as I don't buy many from Manheim.