MJG50

What happens to the paper V5 when registering a new keeper online?

Apologies for asking such a basic question, but in the past I've always sent off the V5 when selling a car in the post and given the buyer the green slip as the receipt.

I really should get into the 21st century and register the change of keeper when selling a car online. I imagine this is pretty simple as long as I have the full V5. I just wondered though, what happens then with the paper V5 of the car you've just sold? Do you keep it in your file? Naturally I wouldn't give it to the buyer as they could fill out something different and send it off to the DVLA, potentially generating 2 keeper changes instead of one. Am I right in thinking that if you sell a car and register the new keeper change online, the dealer gives the buyer the green slip and keeps the V5 himself?

I seem to remember one of the guys on here (Nick I think?) mentioned how he doesn't actually register the change of ownership for a few days just in case the buyer wants to return the car. That way, if they do return it, there won't be an extra keeper. That's something else I could consider.

Also, it's been a very long time since I've taken a part ex - the sort of cars I sold didn't usually generate a PX. So what is the best way to handle the paperwork when taking a PX? Do you register the car in trade online, give the yellow slip to the customer who's traded the car in and keep the rest the of the V5 yourself?

Sorry again for such a basic question but I'm hoping to get back into the trade and just wanted to clear up the V5 sale and PX V5 process online as my heyday was before the internet!

These basic questions are answered on the v5c itself especially p/ex, my advice, do it online, you will get email confirmation, wait a few days, let punter get settled into car ;)

Staple the log book to sales invoice ( your copy), and store.

Thanks for the reply - am I correct in assuming the owner of the PX automatically gets a road tax return when the dealer buying the car puts the car in trade online?

maybe if you need answers to such basic questions you might want to reappraise your entry to the wonderful world of selling used conveyances

just sayin

don't all jump on me at once yer barstuwerds:D

Guess he's just old school .. 

16 minutes ago, It's me said:

maybe if you need answers to such basic questions you might want to reappraise your entry to the wonderful world of selling used conveyances

just sayin

1 hour ago, It's me said:

just sayin

This, DVLA website has some good advice 

We register new keepers online, once done print completed online application and attach first page of v5 to the printout.  Give customer V5c greenslip. 

Yes, customer will get refund if road tax once they have processed the yellow slip either by post or online. 

give the yellow slip to the customer to send. Their responsibility, only themselves to blame if something goes wrong. And tell tehm to post it. it will also show taxed on the dvla website still for a few days, which may be helpful to you if youre tight on storage space!