James Baggott

What about a Buy & Sell Trade Cars section?

Someone mentioned this in the office and I've been pondering it ever since. Would you guys like a section on here where you can post cars for trading on?

I'm thinking a section just for dealers. We'd ask for some details from you: VAT number, office address, phone number, company number etc to ensure only legitimate dealers get access to it and then create log ons for that section. It's something that might benefit you guys and I saw a post on here this week which seemed to do exactly that.

What are your thoughts? 

Might be useful could you not do it just by having a closed section of the forum where only a certain level/trusted poster/contributors can access? Maybe ones who have engaged, provided a website, vat number etc?  

I was thinking we'd want it only accessible to genuine dealers so VAT number would be important. I like the idea of certain levels of users too but surely you'd want as many dealers to see the posts as possible?

• Like 1

James I think I can help you with this, I'll give you a call on Monday with my idea. Or feel free to give me a call over the weekend I'll pm you my number

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Baggott said:

I was thinking we'd want it only accessible to genuine dealers so VAT number would be important. I like the idea of certain levels of users too but surely you'd want as many dealers to see the posts as possible?

Not to open the can of worms again, but did you not mention previously that ALL dealers are welcome on the Forum, part time, NON VAT registered, home traders etc, so excluding them from this would mean that they are only welcome when asking questions not actually dealing? 

So what's the consensus? Do you want to open these offers up to everyone or do you want them just to be for VAT registered dealers. I'm interested in what the collective here want. Happy to be guided by the forum members. 

I think trust worthy traders regardless of vat status, however I believe people should be vetted, it should be off limits to the casual observer and some form of feedback should be in place. Oddly enough we had a call from a trader today asking for feedback about a trader we had purchased a car from and that they were going to buy from.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve92 said:

I think trust worthy traders regardless of vat status, however I believe people should be vetted, it should be off limits to the casual observer and some form of feedback should be in place. Oddly enough we had a call from a trader today asking for feedback about a trader we had purchased a car from and that they were going to buy from.

NO WAY STEVE, that was me that phoned you!!!!!! About the chap selling the Golf GTI ? 

How small is the world????

thats crazy! Lol 

• Like 1

VAT Number and website maybe? 

It's a tough call as could turn it a lot of hassle of policing it if not kept simple. Maybe new members can only buy cars and not sell until 'approved'. 

It's a great idea James but I think you need to think how responsible you want to be for it as it's a good dead which could turn into a chore which wouldn't be fair on yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimreidvehicle said:

NO WAY STEVE, that was me that phoned you!!!!!! About the chap selling the Golf GTI ? 

How small is the world????

thats crazy! Lol 

Haha, you spoke to the other Steve first then he passed you over to me :)

I would of said it was up to the individual trader to decide who he wants to offer his trade to trade cars to. For example if i have a car that i want £2k for and no body other than a non VAT reg trader wants to buy it then am i going to refuse to sell it to him?

The one problem is the easier it is for non VAT reg traders to acquire stock the less likely they are to actually bother registering so in the long run it bites us in the arse as they can retail stuff cheaper. 

This argument could go on and on for ever but in my personal opinion a buy and sell forum for VAT reg only would be my preferred choice. It just keeps things more professional.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things this isn't a big forum and things run fairly smoothly. I imagine it would be the regular posters using it to start off with which doesn't seem a bad balance at the moment and would made have 10-20 cars on it to start with. Maybe start it with only regular members here first and them open it up to others providing they meet a criteria such as the one Jim proposes. 

• Like 1

If someone is operating from fixed premises and has a VAT number which matches that address then that should be enough. Usually when you register they send you out a letter to your registered address with your VAT number on it you could always ask for a copy of that as proof?

Copy of sales invoice? Most DMS systems generate invoices with VAT numbers on now and an invoice was something required when I've set up with a new finance company recently..

On 05/02/2016 at 11:40 PM, Steve92 said:

I agree. We need to establish that they are genuine traders.

Moror trade insurance?

Subscription confirmation from Glass's/CAP/HPI?

Photocopy of trade plate confirmation?

Account number with BCA or other recognised auction group?

The majority of traders on this forum seem a sensible group and if we are offering vehicles for sale on here we want as much chance as possible of selling them or it will not work.

Insisting on VAT registration status will limit the market and exclude traders who have recently started out and not hit the vat threshold and those that sell a couple of cars a month at a couple of grand a piece.

Its another avenue for us to buy and sell so it sounds like a good idea to me.

• Like 1

Interesting topic...

My 2ps worth as a legitimate, part time trader who is not VAT registered is that I would have thought it would be quite a useful avenue for some of you guys to trade on stuff you wouldn't normally entertain stocking to people like me.. For example, I have a specific requirement for a 02-04 330ci convertible at the moment which I've cash waiting for and given its age I'm not sure many of you would want it and would be happy to move it on hassle free.

Id be more than happy to provide trade insurance and copy of trade licence but that's all I have to show my legitimacy.. And the other thing is you only need to piss people off once on a forum and no one will sell to you again so it will self govern pretty well I'd have thought...

cheers all,

Pad

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I've decided to give it a go and have today set up the Buy & Sell Trade Cars Sub Forum. 

If you want access to the site you need to simply email james@blackballmedia.co.uk with a copy of your current motor trade insurance certificate.

This, I feel, is the easiest way to prove trade status. VAT numbers are impossible to check - Google it and you'll find that anyone can claim to have a number but there's no database online to check them against.

Also, some people mentioned, and rightly so, that not everyone will reach the VAT threshold. 

So I'm going to stick to the above for now. I'll be closely monitoring it and seeing how it goes, but there's no harm in giving it a go.

If you want access email me a copy of motor trade insurance certificate and I'll give you access. Let's see how we get on from there...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, brightonpad said:

Interesting topic...

My 2ps worth as a legitimate, part time trader who is not VAT registered is that I would have thought it would be quite a useful avenue for some of you guys to trade on stuff you wouldn't normally entertain stocking to people like me.. For example, I have a specific requirement for a 02-04 330ci convertible at the moment which I've cash waiting for and given its age I'm not sure many of you would want it and would be happy to move it on hassle free.

Id be more than happy to provide trade insurance and copy of trade licence but that's all I have to show my legitimacy.. And the other thing is you only need to piss people off once on a forum and no one will sell to you again so it will self govern pretty well I'd have thought...

cheers all,

Pad

We sold one of them yesterday, we are delivering it later this week. If it falls through I'll give you a shout but they old 330ci is an easy sell.

• Like 1