Sign in to follow this  
Rosemotors

Friday rant (warranty related)

I shouldn't really complain as the claim was way over the claims limit and they paid up to that limit, but I was talking to the claims department about a head gasket (£1,500+VAT!!!!) and in passing she said they never pay for skimming heads as it's "desirable from an engineering point of view but unless it's warped it ain't covered".

Seriously?

I shouldn't really complain as the claim was way over the claims limit and they paid up to that limit, but I was talking to the claims department about a head gasket (£1,500+VAT!!!!) and in passing she said they never pay for skimming heads as it's "desirable from an engineering point of view but unless it's warped it ain't covered".

Seriously?

I remember years ago in my early days (when I was wet behind the ear but still paying VAT) trying to make a claim for a Renault Safrane (insert your own punchline) head gasket and part of the claim was a skim. They refused to pay out at all because I mentioned skim and that was wear and tear, if I had not have mentioned skim they reckon they would have paid out.

Up until recently, I never used a warranty company ever again.

• Like 2

The mind boggles with these warranty companies.

Had a customer who purchased a Skoda Octavia from us roughly 7-8 weeks ago. The dash suddenly stopped working which was causing a problem starting the vehicle. Intermittent problems were happening with the wipers all round on the car and airbag warning lights were coming on and off.

Anyway we send the dash out to a company who repaired it and had it back quickly, airbag light cleared and was just due to faulty connection and his front wipers were working fine. Rear wiper motor was clearly faulty and the customer had mentioned a bit of a noise in the front of the car. A wheel bearing was playing up.
Dash was not covered under warranty so we meet the cost on that no quibbles.

We send the claim in to warrantywise who decide to accept the claim for the rear wiper and the wheel bearing but as the claim has happened at the same time they have averaged the cost of parts and labour. I argued this point that these 2 parts are in no way connected but very much a case of computer says no. Although I should consider myself lucky because most claims we have sent recently have been approved. Yes, that really is pretty much why I have been spending 10k a quarter with you so you do cover the components listed if they do fail on used cars. 

Try arguing the toss but pretty much getting no where. The main thing is if I had said to customer I can fix your dash at my own cost, I can fix your wiper on warranty and if you come back in a week I can fix your wheel bearing then Warrantywise would approve it. Because the 2 unconnected parts have gone at same time they won't it is in the terms and conditions supposedly. 

Glad I have switched to having my own warranty fund and having policies administered elsewhere.

• Like 3

I've not used a warranty company for a fair few years now but it was always a case of how you 'word' the claim to them, a leaking water pump would become a water pump with a collapsed bearing etc etc. If an engineer was ever sent out you know the claim would be hard work and mean a car stuck on the ramp for 3 days only for it to be rejected under wear and tear. One lady on the claims line seemed to be an expert on rejecting claims, I'm sure they got commission or bonus for it. I raised it with the rep about her and his answer was to put the phone down once you heard her voice and call back a few minutes later and hope someone else answers!!

All in all the whole process was worth the hassle, it was just painful and not worth the free price hangers and floor mats. 

• Like 1

All in all the whole process was worth the hassle, it was just painful and not worth the free price hangers and floor mats. 

Their logos all over my autotrader are making it worthwhile. For now at least.

Been doing our own warranties for 10+ yrs now, happy to have their profit aswell as our profit on the car + no arguments on fixing!

if you sell low mileage proper cars, repairs are usually minimal!

• Like 1

After a year of deliberating I've just taken the decision to cover my own warranties after having quite a legitimate claim turned down on a Citroen C4 diesel. The turbo went and as requested by Warrantywise the customer took the car to Evans Halshall who didn't lift a spanner but quoted £1700+vat to fit a new turbo. This was rejected and I collected the car, put in a claim for £600 and this was rejected. Main reasons were Evans Halshall had said the turbo had come to the end of its natural life (?), 2009, 55k miles car, the service history was patchy (logged warranty purchase with part history) it's full history but 1st 3 years are Citroen, then next 2 are Indy's then 2 self serviced with all Euro car part invoices then service we carried out when sold and the turbo was oil contaminated and how they know this with it still attached to the car it anybodies guess. I argued the case, but itvwas a pointless task but I can't help thinking if it came to me 1st and not the main dealer who've tried to rinse the warranty for every penny it would have been authorised. 

• Like 1

We had our worst ever warranty claim on a c4 2.0 diesel so much so I won't touch them although I love the petrols, lots of car for the money (almost always sub 3k retail) and only ever done one head gasket out of maybe 20-25 sales?

incidentally that had only done 39k and was turbo related 

Edited by See Cars Derby

Seeing this from a different point of view as garage owner, We have dealt with warranty claim firms before and they get nervous on certain makes of vehicles and particular models (even though they will happily take dealers money for the warranty). One of them being the 1.6Turbo Diesel engine which is a Peugeot/ citroen unit but is found in the Focus and Volvo also. this unit suffers due to its position of the turbo (right on top of the engine) with bad oil feed. If they blow the manufacture recommends a complete new engine (basicly they are throw away units).

Now you can change the turbos but even turbo companies make you sign a disclaimer on that model stating they take no responsibility when fitted to them models as its a design issue. I have seen and also learned myself that if you just bolt on a new turbo they will go again very quickly. You can strip down the sump drop the oil and give it a good flushing and fit a new oil pump which can see out the car but even then Ive had mates in the trade with the fault returning.

How this engine never became a big issue or a scandal I am not sure.

See Cars Derby, the 2.0 Diesel engine is a old unit and to my experience is a reliable unit, but somtimes you just get a problem car that makes you swear never to buy again. Also agree that C4 petrols are a good unit.

Lee

• Like 1