James Baggott

Finally! Official word the government says you can sell and deliver cars

Couple of updates here that people may find interesting:

Are dealers allowed to offer click-and-collect for cars during lockdown?

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-dealers-allowed-offer-click-collect-pick-cars-lockdown/191091

And for those who still want to do it after reading that...

Guide: What dealers need to consider if they're planning click and collect sales

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/dealers-need-consider-theyre-planning-click-collect-sales/191116

2 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

You would have to be sad or mad to buy one of them 

They were built in south Africa out of steel from the roofs of shanty towns 

They were rotten as pears at 5 years old truly nasty things,everything was naf even the wings didn't fit off cortinas.............dont ask:ph34r:

It was the sierra model it was mad money it was like £5500 you would would need to be sad or mad to pay that much for a future classic as they say In all the ads for overpriced junk on there the garage i mentioned early had a 3 of them as runabouts back then over the years  they paid like £800 each for them .and what he spend on them to keep them running would have bought a good transit at the time .

Oh and its had previous welding repairs 

Edited by Casper

14 hours ago, metcars said:

Yeah, I can imagine. But as they still avoid honestly and accurately describing stock what else can you do?

I can understand how click and collect could work for new and nearly new stuff but not a 10yr old diesel focus? 

And no, the answer is not for everyone to buy new cars instead?

In all fairness I’ve been quite lucky with BCA Bridgwater, ended up getting tucked up with the odd one but as a rule of thumb there ok. Unless your buying cars that are nearly new I don’t personally think there’s much difference between buying a 5 year old or 10 year old focus

1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

I don’t personally think there’s much difference between buying a 5 year old or 10 year old focus

True, although you know you’ll need to spend £70 on two front bottom arms on the 10yr old one! :D

14 hours ago, James Baggott said:

Are dealers allowed to offer click-and-collect for cars during lockdown?

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-dealers-allowed-offer-click-collect-pick-cars-lockdown/191091

I’d imagine a click-and-collect type operation for a franchise doesn’t appeal long term - surely it’s another step further towards cars being treated as white goods. Also my guess is Daksh Gupta’s reluctance to execute home deliveries isn’t just COVID19, he’ll be taking a view with regards to the DSRs.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BHM said:

True, although you know you’ll need to spend £70 on two front bottom arms on the 10yr old one! :D

I’d imagine a click-and-collect type operation for a franchise doesn’t appeal long term - surely it’s another step further towards cars being treated as white goods. Also my guess is Daksh Gupta’s reluctance to execute home deliveries isn’t just COVID19, he’ll be taking a view with regards to the DSRs.

Cant invest all that money into huge Gin palaces and then just start delivering cars demonstrating no need for gin palace and a big storage yard would do can you

7 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Cant invest all that money into huge Gin palaces and then just start delivering cars demonstrating no need for gin palace and a big storage yard would do can you

Always wondered why you’d do that, and why manufacturers want it, given that online was the direction of travel.

Next is probably one of the best run companies in the UK, despite people saying that people want to try clothes on in shops they’ve invested in online sales and returns mechanisms, and have max 5 yr leases on stores so they can exit them easily. Right now that’s looking like a brilliant strategy but to be fair Simon Wolfson is a shrewd guy and built the company for the long term as most people saw it.

11 hours ago, CCC said:

Always wondered why you’d do that, and why manufacturers want it, given that online was the direction of travel.

Next is probably one of the best run companies in the UK, despite people saying that people want to try clothes on in shops they’ve invested in online sales and returns mechanisms, and have max 5 yr leases on stores so they can exit them easily. Right now that’s looking like a brilliant strategy but to be fair Simon Wolfson is a shrewd guy and built the company for the long term as most people saw it.

The motor trade is behind the digital curve and doesn’t want it. 
It makes everything they have worked for redundant. 

That’s why cazoo will work. Before cazoo was even announced and the idea was thought up I was offering next day delivery and pushing towards enhancing our online business via click engage, remote sales etc. It is the future of every business and every industry. 

those of us set up to offer easy online buying will do very well out of this situation. 

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

The motor trade is behind the digital curve and doesn’t want it. 
It makes everything they have worked for redundant. 

That’s why cazoo will work. Before cazoo was even announced and the idea was thought up I was offering next day delivery and pushing towards enhancing our online business via click engage, remote sales etc. It is the future of every business and every industry. 

those of us set up to offer easy online buying will do very well out of this situation. 

It certainly is gaining traction, will be interesting to see at what pace and how much market share it has after a year from now,

rory - you mention you were geared up for it sometime ago, can i ask what age / profile cars you are / were selling this way, cheers.

Edited by awc1000

17 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

It certainly is gaining traction, will be interesting to see at what pace and how much market share it has after a year from now,

rory - you mention you were geared up for it sometime ago, can i ask what age / profile cars you are / were selling this way, cheers.

Pretty much anything and everything we stock.