David Horgan

Disinfecting PX cars before getting in them

Whats everyones opinion on getting in PX cars from complete strangers before they have been disinfected . 

I can see them as a holding all sorts of virus traps , they are disgusting at best of times from 98% of the public , used as tips and never cleaned out in their ownership . Just imagine the snuffles , sneezes , touching and spreading they get get upto in their filthy environments , I think I've only opened the door on a hand full of PX cars in the last few years that surprised me by being clean  .

Stay safe out there guys and girls when hopping in px cars before you have killed the bugs that might be present . 

31 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Whats everyones opinion on getting in PX cars from complete strangers before they have been disinfected . 

I can see them as a holding all sorts of virus traps , they are disgusting at best of times from 98% of the public , used as tips and never cleaned out in their ownership . Just imagine the snuffles , sneezes , touching and spreading they get get upto in their filthy environments , I think I've only opened the door on a hand full of PX cars in the last few years that surprised me by being clean  .

Stay safe out there guys and girls when hopping in px cars before you have killed the bugs that might be present . 

I am currently not selling cars but have plans to purchase if I see any I'm interested in so just yesterday I did a risk assessment 

Basically all cars I will transport in and be mindfull to only touch the minimum in the car to load and unload,I've got facilities in the truck to clean my hands 

Once unloaded I'm parking them up for 7 days in my compound and writing on the screen when they came in and will keep away from them

I might only buy one but just like you cars are some of the dirtiest environs I've ever had to work with in my life

Theres no way I would use say public transport at this time and this morning going for my paper it was feet and elbows to open the shop door then home to scrub my hands

Call it zealous but I'm not getting any younger

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I am currently not selling cars but have plans to purchase if I see any I'm interested in so just yesterday I did a risk assessment 

Basically all cars I will transport in and be mindfull to only touch the minimum in the car to load and unload,I've got facilities in the truck to clean my hands 

Once unloaded I'm parking them up for 7 days in my compound and writing on the screen when they came in and will keep away from them

I might only buy one but just like you cars are some of the dirtiest environs I've ever had to work with in my life

Theres no way I would use say public transport at this time and this morning going for my paper it was feet and elbows to open the shop door then home to scrub my hands

Call it zealous but I'm not getting any younger

You could apply that to anything, post, food, petrol pumps or cash even?

• Like 1

Might be just coincidence but roundabout dinner time round my house everybody was cleaning the cars ! hoover was  out, spraying interiors etc, even the "very busy" women :rolleyes:.Maybe they have looked across to the passenger floor while in a queue for tescos car park, and realised, might we get some cleaner cars in future ? good idea on parking cars up for 7 days.

Research from New England Journal of Medicine published on 17th March gives a virus half-life of about 7 hours on plastic and steel surfaces. That means the virus should largely die out after about 72 hours (3 days). So not using the car for three days should render it safe.  Bear in mind the virus can be airborne and live in ventilation systems, so if moving a car turn off the blower and open the windows.

I think the  amount of real sheds that i have cleaned over the years has built up my natural immune system, I know  when cleaning cars the amount of spores i must have be breathing in just makes me shudder, In all seriousness good advice above

stay safe everyone

I noticed a few dealers posting YouTube videos of offering ‘deep cleaning’ prior to customer collection? Even the car hand wash is offering the same service. I guess there’s always money to be made? 

Id like to know what chemicals they are all using to clean CV? Although they are not actually saying they will kill CV specifically?

1 hour ago, metcars said:

I noticed a few dealers posting YouTube videos of offering ‘deep cleaning’ prior to customer collection? Even the car hand wash is offering the same service. I guess there’s always money to be made? 

Id like to know what chemicals they are all using to clean CV? Although they are not actually saying they will kill CV specifically?

I would like to see the risk assessment  of any boda fido company passing that once someone goes sick and sees a solicitor jockey with a claim

8 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I would like to see the risk assessment  of any boda fido company passing that once someone goes sick and sees a solicitor jockey with a claim

True, but they are merely offering to ‘deep clean’ not claiming specifically to be able to remove CV. But obviously they are hoping people read more into it than they should?

Because virii structures have a fatty outer envelope any kind of detergent-based cleaner (or alcohol) will destroy the virus. Its therefore not difficult to clean hard surfaces in the car. However note that the virus is airborne and could potentially remain inside ventilation systems for a couple of days. Just not using the car for 3 days would render it free of virus.

This very good video (by a guy who teaches doctors) explains all...