the old novice

decent interior steam cleaner needed

I'm looking at doing my own valets/detailing.local valet guys dont seem to be able to give consistent results,so i'll do them myself.Any recommendations on a decent interior steam cleaner would be greatly appreciated

Don’t know many valeters who steam clean most just scrub with good upholstery cleaner and wet vac , it’s a ball ache though 

If you have beige seats you have to scrub every inch evenly or when it drys will be patchy will look a state 

Modern car interiors are not as ‘robust’ where steaming is concerned as they were 30yrs ago?

I’d say steaming there’s a chance you’d do more damage than what it’s worth, same with steam cleaning exteriors , I used to use hot through our pressure washers at my car wash, if you got hot water in a chip could bubble paintwork . I’d say most inportant in doing a good job is the chemicals you use and how strong you make them . 

I used to use auto smart brisk , bio brisk. 

You can also use g101 from auto smart which cleans better I’d say but doesn’t smell as good, you have to be careful with it cos can damage leather though 

• Like 1

I think that a lot of modern valet guys feel that steam can weaken upholstery materials/glue which may not bother a trader but would be a concern if the car was a keeper. Wet vacs and chemicals seem to be enough?

Ye if you make your chemicals strong I’d say will  be more effective than a steam cleaner , god knows what they do for your health though

Some good advice ,thank you. Having a look on the Karcher website at wet/dry vacs,do they perform better than a Henry?

I’d recommend hendry or George, you don’t really need the machine to put chemical on, get yourself a spray bottle and brush , mit do it yourself, you just need it to suck it out of seats . My advice would be to take to car wash cos they your really paying someone bout 3 pound an hour if you take into account time taken etc . But take it when it’s a rainy / dull day ,they’ll be empty and spend all day on it . 

Then go over any bits your not happy with yourself 

Just to add to this thread as to how i got on....................ended up visiting the local detailing store.Got a product from Chemical guys called foaming citrus.I wasn't expecting much as the car in question had been to a valeters but this stuff is amazing.It shifted  some heavy duty staining from fabric seats with little effort.Diluted it down as per instructions,blotted off any excess damp with a microfibre cloth  and  let car run with heater on.Really impressed !!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, the old novice said:

Just to add to this thread as to how i got on....................ended up visiting the local detailing store.Got a product from Chemical guys called foaming citrus.I wasn't expecting much as the car in question had been to a valeters but this stuff is amazing.It shifted  some heavy duty staining from fabric seats with little effort.Diluted it down as per instructions,blotted off any excess damp with a microfibre cloth  and  let car run with heater on.Really impressed !!

thanks recommendations are always good from fellow traders will try some myself have a good new year  .. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Casper said:

thanks recommendations are always good from fellow traders will try some myself have a good new year  .. 

Another option.Poundland are doing both Vanish stain remover and carpet cleaner for a quid which is good stuff and leaves a nice smell !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:Another option.Poundland are doing both Vanish stain remover and carpet cleaner for a quid which is good stuff and leaves a nice smell !

In all honesty trade vet i do actually use vanish stain remover and sprat airfreshner febreeze and the air freshners from home bargains at 0.35p a pop but as i said im always open to suggestions

all the best