Sign in to follow this  
NOACROSS

Installation of EV Charging Points. Thoughts?

53 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Main Stealers need to pay for them pointy shoes. 

This 

They have to keep you coming back for something.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I recently sold a MINI to a local customer that works as master technician for Tesla UK in their HQ (in Uxbridge, very close to us). 

I did ask him about the routine maintenance: 

Routine service is a software update, battery balancing procedure (again via computer program), check brakes and tyres, replace brake fluid (every other service), replace cabin air filter (every other service), check A/C system and regas IF required with the newer type of gas. The A/C pump is electric, no belt drives. 

The brakes work very little in an EV. Every time you lift the accelerator the car's electric motor(s) are slowing it as if someone stepped on the  brake. When you get used to it you can drive it (carefully!!!) all day with one single pedal only including coming to a complete stop. So the brakes will last far longer than in my diesel Merc for example. 

Nick, that’s mistaking the minimum servicing schedule for actually maintaining a car. Anyone who believes that old tosh will think they’ll never replace another bush, spring, shock, drop link, suspension arm, ball joint, cv joint, gaitor, track rod end etc. etc. ....***feel free to list another 1000 items here***.

Maintaining an old car involves a damn sight more than the manufacturers’ service schedules.

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

How bad can a Tesla be when one of their own mechanics would rather have a Mini!!

Mini was £8K. The Tesla he wanted was £130K. WITH his staff discount. 

22 hours ago, J.T said:

a special carbon fibre pole for flicking off the mechanic when he gets electrocuted!! 

Carbon Fibre conducts electricity :wacko:

8 hours ago, trade vet said:

I heard the other day about an old school mechanic last week nearly getting electrocuted working on a hybrid !

He'll only get it wrong the once, I bet his insurance wouldn't cover him for working on them if he hasn't had the correct training. 

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Carbon Fibre conducts electricity :wacko:

I could be wrong about the carbon fibre part, it did just look like a broom handle painted black to me lol.

The first Auris hybrid that I sold had 3-4 inches of water in the spare wheel well from the usual leaking in from around the rear lights problem, I was trying to imagine what would have happened under heavy braking to all that water sloshing around right next to the battery pack under the back seat! I think they might have been able to claim under the consumer rights act if I fried them with 20,000 volts of electricity.