antokid1771

Prior to purchase vehicle Inspections

Hello, which of the many prior to purchase vehicle inspectors would you recommend, RAC/Click Mechanic/carexamer/AA ? 

thanks in advance 

You're a customer looking to buy a car?

If so, none. They will deem the car rubbish in my experience, and it will be a waste of the seller's time, and your money. Find a sensible mechanic and take him with you, if you must.

• Like 2

Probably best taking a mate who 'knows about cars' with you? 

Try to go in on a Saturday or Sunday as the salesman won't be busy thrn and can devote more time to showing you the car. 

When you first get there, be really short and business like with the salesman, you want him to respect you and not waste your time. Tell him that you are a cash buyer and use the phrase 'cash mate, no bits'. This will emphasise that you are ready to do a deal, salesmen hate faffing around doing finance quotes, cash is king.

Once looking at the car, A good thing to do is to start the engine up from cold and really give it a good rev for about 2 to 3 minutes. If you do this and get your mate to lie on the floor looking under the car from the drivers side, the dealer will realise that you both know your stuff mechanically and are serious people to deal with. 

Make sure you run your hands around each tyre too, you'll get them a bit dirty but it's a good way of checking that the tread depth is even all round the tyre. If it's not, the car might have been in an accident and not repaired properly. 

Check the paintwork, look closely as even a slight scratch on a panel might be hiding a major previous repair. 

If you like the car, ask for a test drive. Once out on the road, make a sudden zig zag left and right movement once you get to about 20mph to check the steering. You can also see if there are any speed bumps locally, try to hit these as fast as you can to make sure the suspension and shock absorbers are up to scratch. 

Check the clutch by revving the car up to 5000rpm before changing up and then down a gear again, this will let you see if it is slipping or not. 

Regardless of what you think about the clutch, tell the salesman that you think its worn and needs replacing. This will be a good bargaining tool later on if you decide to buy. 

Whilst you are doing all this, get your mate to check all the electrics work, move the windows up and down, go through the radio presets whilst turning the volume up and down. Also check the heater by turning the heat and fan up to full power with the windows closed to make sure that works as well. 

Once you've done all this and are happy with the car, you can then try and negotiate if you want yo buy it. 

I'm happy to post more advice later if you want a few pointers on getting the best deal?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

You're a customer looking to buy a car?

If so, none. They will deem the car rubbish in my experience, and it will be a waste of the seller's time, and your money. Find a sensible mechanic and take him with you, if you must.

Yes, issue is I'm in Northern Ireland and wanting to buy from the mainland. If they send me a report detailing faults if any I can still make a decision from that. 

7 minutes ago, Frankieola said:

Probably best taking a mate who 'knows about cars' with you? 

Try to go in on a Saturday or Sunday as the salesman won't be busy thrn and can devote more time to showing you the car. 

When you first get there, be really short and business like with the salesman, you want him to respect you and not waste your time. Tell him that you are a cash buyer and use the phrase 'cash mate, no bits'. This will emphasise that you are ready to do a deal, salesmen hate faffing around doing finance quotes, cash is king.

Once looking at the car, A good thing to do is to start the engine up from cold and really give it a good rev for about 2 to 3 minutes. If you do this and get your mate to lie on the floor looking under the car from the drivers side, the dealer will realise that you both know your stuff mechanically and are serious people to deal with. 

Make sure you run your hands around each tyre too, you'll get them a bit dirty but it's a good way of checking that the tread depth is even all round the tyre. If it's not, the car might have been in an accident and not repaired properly. 

Check the paintwork, look closely as even a slight scratch on a panel might be hiding a major previous repair. 

If you like the car, ask for a test drive. Once out on the road, make a sudden zig zag left and right movement once you get to about 20mph to check the steering. You can also see if there are any speed bumps locally, try to hit these as fast as you can to make sure the suspension and shock absorbers are up to scratch. 

Check the clutch by revving the car up to 5000rpm before changing up and then down a gear again, this will let you see if it is slipping or not. 

Regardless of what you think about the clutch, tell the salesman that you think its worn and needs replacing. This will be a good bargaining tool later on if you decide to buy. 

Whilst you are doing all this, get your mate to check all the electrics work, move the windows up and down, go through the radio presets whilst turning the volume up and down. Also check the heater by turning the heat and fan up to full power with the windows closed to make sure that works as well. 

Once you've done all this and are happy with the car, you can then try and negotiate if you want yo buy it. 

I'm happy to post more advice later if you want a few pointers on getting the best deal?

Thanks for that, I'm considering buying from a seller on eBay, carswithnoreservereading. For me to travel over and find out the car is no good is a fair expense, obviously getting a car check done is also a fair expense if comes back bad but will save me a lot of hassle. If comes back ok or with a few easy to fix issues I would then travel over and get it, then I would have the inspection report on file including any repairs I've done no show any buyer if I were to sell on. 

I see your problem being that you ate far away from carswithnoreservereading. 

Have you asked them if they have any other branches nearer to you that they could move the car to so that you could view it? 

What car is it anyway and how much is it? 

3 minutes ago, Frankieola said:

Have you asked them if they have any other branches nearer to you that they could move the car to so that you could view it? 

No they are only in reading, doesn't really matter where on the mainland I would have to either fly or get ferry anyway. No car in particular yet just been keeping an eye on their eBay page for a deal. Have you used a vehicle inspection service before? 

Not an inspection service as such, my friend worked in Kwik Fit for a while so he 'knows cars' 

The advice I posted earlier was what he done when a friend was looking at a car. 

Are carswithnoreservereading really that cheap compared to other places then? 

5 minutes ago, Frankieola said:

Not an inspection service as such, my friend worked in Kwik Fit for a while so he 'knows cars' 

The advice I posted earlier was what he done when a friend was looking at a car. 

Are carswithnoreservereading really that cheap compared to other places then? 

Yes  by the looks of bit but it's very much buyers beware, great reviews on eBay not no much everywhere else. Think they do very high volumes from auction, quick wash few photos and a check and list straight onto eBay no reserve. So would really need someone that knows what they are doing including fault code reading. 

44 minutes ago, antokid1771 said:

Yes  by the looks of bit but it's very much buyers beware, great reviews on eBay not no much everywhere else. Think they do very high volumes from auction, quick wash few photos and a check and list straight onto eBay no reserve. So would really need someone that knows what they are doing including fault code reading. 

That’s very wise fault code reading will tell you everything you need to know and more about the car, feel free to come back to us with the fault codes. 

Dont rush into anything show them you know what your on about try and drop subtle hints you won’t be walked over, I like to write things down so nothing gets forgotten about silly as it may sound but my Subaru pen gives an alert sales person a clue I know about cars just saves him making a fool of himself trying to waffle me. 

Good luck 

Some great advice here for a member of the general public.

Despite the clearly brilliant advice from the gents on here, why are you looking to buy from noreserve anyway?

Why give yourself hassle? Buy from a normal trader with the car prepped, inspected and you know it'll be sound.

Despite the clearly brilliant advice from the gents on here, why are you looking to buy from noreserve anyway?

Why give yourself hassle? Buy from a normal trader with the car prepped, inspected and you know it'll be sound.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, antokid1771 said:

Hello, which of the many prior to purchase vehicle inspectors would you recommend, RAC/Click Mechanic/carexamer/AA ? 

thanks in advance 

Don't waste your money pal , Every one I've ever seen are complete Shite .

They dare not tell you its a good car because if you find a fault you blame them . 

If they say its got issues , you believe them and you don't get the car , but they get your money . 

All they do is drink coffee write a report to their benefit and take your dosh . 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:14 AM, Frankieola said:

carswithnoreservereading buy high mileage and v cars  from bca, auction them off on ebay. Cars are not prepped and a lot of them are shite. 

Its been two years now Gina i would hazzard a guess he has found a car. 

9 hours ago, justina3 said:

Its been two years now Gina i would hazzard a guess he has found a car. 

The ways some of these fussy c***s conduct themselves there’s every chance he’s still looking :lol: