James Baggott

What really goes on inside a car buyer's head

Its all weird and we never know what they're thinking ...

but Saturday guy rang up about a SAAB Convertible I had, arrived just before closing time - looked at - body language - words didn't inspire me , then he says 'Can I take if for a drive' [ 3 Cars in front of it - in the showroom ] 

No Problem I said ..walked off to get the keys , he takes it for a drive ,again when he returns I wasn't sure .. so to break the ice I said " what do you think ? it is good , very good or fantastic ? " :) he said quite like it .... how much and will you take my old car off me ! Of course ... rest as they say is history ! Deposit paid - deal done ! Nice end to a quieter Saturday ! 

If i was a betting man - I'd have lost the lost .. ! 

BUT Yes there are so many others who simply like to 'kick tyres' as nothing better to do .... !! 

I had the same Saturday, bloke and his dad came to view a Civic I had sold that morning, took a shining to the Mazda 3 right at the back, asked for it out at 3.45pm.

Moved 5 cars, then it needed jumping cos they'd been sat in it with the radio and lights on for 20 minutes messing with all the dials. Anyway they drove it for 25 minutes, 'really liked it' but need to bring the wife back to see if she likes the colour (grey!?)

Can you have it out for us at 11am tomorrow?

So I did get it out for them and did they come back? Did they buggery!

I went to collect a part exchange from a main dealer today and I'm glad I wasn't a customer because their was a bit of a frosty atmosphere - when I'd finally got to chat to the general manager he'd done his nut because they'd blanked all weekend but had plenty off footfall - apparently they had completed an order with a customer but he went outside to get his wallet from his car to pay the deposit and wasn't seen again - now I've heard some excuses from customer but never had one do a disappearing act on me!!

James.

One glaring error.

You took the Corsa with you. 

"How much will you give me for my trade-in?"

"Where is it?"

"At home!"

"Would you buy my car without seeing it?"

"No!"

"But you expect me to buy yours without seeing it!"

• Like 1

Similar thing happened to me last year james,  customer came loved the van, test drove it agreed it drove well, agreed a price shook on it then he said I'll just go and get his wallet from his car to leave me a deposit. Off he went never to be seen again to this day.