Sign in to follow this  
It's me

one tyre kicker all day

ok so its mid august and even the local rats have packed their meesers and gone off on a plaque hunt but one customer to kick the tyres all day and 10 coffees later i wents home

Up at 8, wash an evoque, BMW 330d collected at 9, evoque collected at 9.30, the px for the evoque was a Mitsubishi asx, we had a viewing on that at 12 and it was gone by 1, test drive on the r8 at 1 but no go because of the gearbox (the r troic is crap) photograph a couple of pictures and some adverts and off at 3.

• Like 1

1 sale, 1 viewing but said " Ill think about it" he was comparing my CRV Diesel to a Xtrail elsewhere and couldnt decide, know what I'd rather have!

Dent man came in and tidied some cars up. 

Two new deals for me and two collections 

Took a 2002 Corolla 99k T Spirit in part ex. Had my first enquiry from RAC CARS, he's travelling from South Wales at 10am on a £3290 bright yellow Fabia.

had a guy turn up on the Civic I sold first thing but managed to get him out in a Mazda 3 and he is 'bringing the wife back today' - so we will see!!

Bought an 88k 55 v70 d5 SE manual from Sytner which made me happy.

Edited by See Cars Derby

1 sold - Ford Focus 1.6 LX - 30 days in stock - 55reg minter with only 40k and FSH and not had a serious enquiry - on Friday I reduced it by £150 and could have sold it 3 times over today - just shows how price sensitive customers are at the minute.

1 guy in with £1500 - £2000 to spend on a Mondeo size diesel no older than 2007 and no more than 80k miles - I tried to educate him but he wasn't listening and told me he's worked the last 20 years as a produce buyer for Del Monte so knows a thing or two about negotiating - he'll end up buying some death trap just out of an auction and onto the forecourt

Couple in with a Punto Evo - looks a nice car but they have 2 great big hairy dogs that looks like they've being living in the back of it and the car stunk - they was looking at a new in stock BMW 320 so I told them politely that I didn't want there part exchange

Packed up at 2 - and went to watch the mighty Scunthorpe United tear Crewe apart!!

2 Appointments this morning and then off at 2 to play golf - it's quite but I don't let it get me down :-)

• Like 1

Love customers like the ones in your second paragraph haha. I just say to them, if you find one at £1,500 let me know where it was cos I'll go and get a few at that price, drive em here and sell them at £2,990

1 sold - Ford Focus 1.6 LX - 30 days in stock - 55reg minter with only 40k and FSH and not had a serious enquiry - on Friday I reduced it by £150 and could have sold it 3 times over today - just shows how price sensitive customers are at the minute.

1 guy in with £1500 - £2000 to spend on a Mondeo size diesel no older than 2007 and no more than 80k miles - I tried to educate him but he wasn't listening and told me he's worked the last 20 years as a produce buyer for Del Monte so knows a thing or two about negotiating - he'll end up buying some death trap just out of an auction and onto the forecourt

Couple in with a Punto Evo - looks a nice car but they have 2 great big hairy dogs that looks like they've being living in the back of it and the car stunk - they was looking at a new in stock BMW 320 so I told them politely that I didn't want there part exchange

Packed up at 2 - and went to watch the mighty Scunthorpe United tear Crewe apart!!

2 Appointments this morning and then off at 2 to play golf - it's quite but I don't let it get me down :-)

I also packed up at 2 as bugger all was happening.  Put a note on the door, transferred the phone and then put my foot to the floor to watch the mighty Wrexham (or was it Brazil they were that good) tear Aldershot apart!!

In this morning to do my VAT, don't expect to get the keys out. If given a pass, I'll be on the golf course later on. High five brother :)

• Like 1

Sold a Fabia this morning to chap from Wales (RAC Cars) but now totally dead, had another appointment but he's just text to say he can't make it.

Got Palace vs Arsenal on the iPad so can't be bad.

Quiet day yesterday, phoned a few of the Friday night email enquiries but surprise surprise no response.

Had one couple walk on asking about poor credit finance on a Mini late yesterday afternoon, took a prop not really expecting anything positive, got them on with MotoNovo so signed them up today. Apart from that a very quiet weekend...

So. Woman emailed overnight Thursday about one. Rang first thing in the morning and said would be coming over in the afternoon from 45 miles away. Wanted to pay cash and no px. Told her we closed at 6 and, if lucky, the journey would take her an hour.

She rang at 5.15 to say she was just leaving... I would like to see this car gone so I said I'd wait (error #1)

Pitched up at ten to seven and then asked all manner of daft questions about the car - why did someone sell it? Why are the brake callipers rusty? How much would a new windscreen cost? What happens if the plastic bumpers start to rust? Then wanted to test drive it. I agree (error #2).

40 minutes later return and then decides she wants to px her 04 plate Meriva. 135k mls, 20 minutes MOT, 2 different shades of silver, all wheels damaged and inside like Shrek's underpants. Offered £300 to get the deal done. 

Then she wants finance. And wants to take it straight away.

Go through the HP vs PCP presentation (error #3) and we get to an agreeable monthly payment. Produces driving licence for ID - expired last month and wrong address anyway. Nothing else available, so is it OK if finance is in her partner's name?

8pm gave her a finance prop form to take away to fill in.

Haven't seen or heard of her since. Didn't ring her either (correct decision #1).

• Like 1

Up at 8, wash an evoque, BMW 330d collected at 9, evoque collected at 9.30, the px for the evoque was a Mitsubishi asx, we had a viewing on that at 12 and it was gone by 1, test drive on the r8 at 1 but no go because of the gearbox (the r troic is crap) photograph a couple of pictures and some adverts and off at 3.

Did you get the R8 from auction out of interest?

Picked it up privately from mid Wales, had it 1 week with 1 test drive. It's like a big tt with a v8 behind you.

interesting, do you buy a lot of motors privately then ?

Picked it up privately from mid Wales, had it 1 week with 1 test drive. It's like a big tt with a v8 behind you.

One tyre kicker phone call all day at 10 o'clock last night, first question what's your best price, second question what are the tyres like. I politely reminded him what time it was and invited him to call back after 9 this morning. I've got a tenner on him being a no ring. 

My enthusiasm for the sale drops when their 1st question is what's your best price? I always answer along the lines of if you want the cheapest it's not the car for you, if you want one of the best then we can talk a little further. It either gets a response along the lines of calling me a dickhead or they ask what I mean and then I go onto explain my preparation process and the highlights of the car - 1 owner, fsh, etc

I had a similar call over the weekend on a 1 private owner, 60k, full beemer history, 320 ES and the car is all but immaculate. He went on to tell me how he could buy the same car £1000 cheaper 20 miles away. As the conversation went on he'd already been to look at the car and it was a little rough, 85k miles, 4 months MOT etc etc so not the same car. He made an appointment to come and view mine, never showed up and when I followed him up yesterday he'd only gone and bought the other car - I did remind him what he'd told me on the phone and he said he was going to tidy it up over time!!

It always sticks in the back of my mind when this happens that why do I bother MOT'ing and servicing every car, referbing the alloys, touching in the stone chips, doing the bumper scuffs etc etc but then when I go to visit another local dealer who just sells them as they come and the amount of customers that turn up, get out their cars, walk around for 2 minutes pointing at all the dinks and scuffs and then drive off that I win more than I lose doing the job right!!

I had a funny one the other day, Woman phones up early in morning about 8 oclock says very interested in 1 of my cars and will be coming over to view, lives around 1 hour away but said she would be there at 10.

It gets to about 11 and i think well i will ring back to see if there coming or not (im guessing not by now). Anyway she answers, sounds a bit flustered and says she is on the way and will be there shortly as traffic has been bad. Oh well at least shes on the way -

It gets to 1 pm and still no show and i am gonna pop out to get a sandwich so i thought i will ring to see if shes nearly here. She answers and says "How much can you knock off the price" I replied Well you havent even seen the car yet when you get here we can discuss the price - she says "I wont bother then if theres no discount" and hangs up.

I think these people all come from a strange far away planet and have been sent to earth to wind us up...