Sign in to follow this  
SC Derby

Private Reg Transfer

Sold a Mercedes C Class yesterday and took a Renault espace against it.

he also needs/wants his private plate putting on the merc, I've not done one since the tax changes, I read it's now quicker but how does it work with tax, does he have to tax the merc first (ie now?)

thanks in advance

Craig

Hi Craig

Really simple, Road tax the Merc first either at the PO or online, but do not send away the V5 , instead, send the orginal receipt for road taxing along with the completed V317 and V5c's to DVLA, that way both cars are taxed! DVLA will then recognise that it is the new keeper that has road taxed the car and transfer this road tax to the private plate on the MERC, SIMPLES :-)

• Like 1

Also don't put the P/X in trade. The DVLA need to think your customer owns both cars. Explain that the customer will receive 2 V5's in the post (show them what the V5 is to be sure) and they need to send the one for the Renault back to yourself. Once you receive this you can put the Renault into trade. 

• Like 1

Hi Craig

Really simple, Road tax the Merc first either at the PO or online, but do not send away the V5 , instead, send the orginal receipt for road taxing along with the completed V317 and V5c's to DVLA, that way both cars are taxed! DVLA will then recognise that it is the new keeper that has road taxed the car and transfer this road tax to the private plate on the MERC, SIMPLES :-)

quick question, the normal v5 we send off, shall I just retain this then, will they send a 2 new v5s (one for each vehicle) straight away using the method above?

thanks

Craig

Sorry didn't see your next question.

Make sure the customer signs the V5 of the car he owns and as Gavin says don't send away the yellow slip at this point,this V5c should be complete, the V317 form should show the customer buying the car as owner of both cars at the same time , with the car he is buying, complete his details in here and make sure he signs the new keeper part, if you need any more help just give me a shout and I can you through it on the phone tomorrow, 01467634000.

Jim

Thanks Jim, all sorted and sent off this morning. Thanks for the offer of your number as well for advice, that's much appreciated.

Craig.

Another Q - sorry to be a pain :)

All docs were sent off yesterday, when realistically can we expect them back ? Customer is pushing to get his new car you see.

Thanks again.

They are pretty good these days ..last couple I've done recently back within a week ! :) hope they do your as quickly ! 

• Like 2

thank you, that would be a very acceptable turnaround.

Yip, sent away recorded delivery, normally through within 5 working days, on day 4 log on to https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax and check to see if the description has changed to the car that has the personal number, if it has changed, you print off the screen, call up your customer get them to update their insurance and ask them to collect! Job sorted all you have to do is ask your customer to pass in the V5 for the car you have taken back as part exchange when they receive it ( normally within 3 days after number has went through) get them to sign the yellow slip , fill it in post it away and they get back their road tax remaining and it's transferred to trade, as Tommy Cooper would say " just like that"

• Like 1

Slightly ot but I've just an online retention of a plate for a customer and this time it actually confirmed what the registration plate was going to be. New v5's take around 2-3 days to arrive at the minute when done online.

And you don't even have to send the yellow slip away either- that can be done online too. 

• Like 1

But then if you fill out the yellow slip online I'm guessing it updates the tax straight away. That means if it comes off the database straight away then you need to go everywhere with plates on.

• Like 1

Yeah, there is that, if you want to smoke around in the swapper. But for a quick end to a long Cherished Transfer process, the online 'Pass to Trade' thingy seems like the way to go.

And also to get cars into trade at month end so they don't keep hold of the next month's tax.

• Like 1

Seriously?
This is an online system; the Internet doesn't close.
I just bigged you up on here then you do this to me and bugger off for the night whilst I'm right in the middle of dealing with a PX in front of a customer.
Cheers for nowt.

Buying a vehicle into trade

BETA This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it

Service Closed

The supporting systems for this service are currently unavailable.

The normal hours of operation are Monday to Saturday - 08:00 to 18:00. Please complete your transaction during these hours.

Computers never sleep, perhaps the cleaners come in and they need to unplug the main frame so they can hoover