Jaime

Part-time Trader

Lucas should be admired for his tenacity and desire, you can’t help but be enthused by someone who has the balls to make it happen.

He came with no attitude, a language barrier and asked for help, he’s making it happen for himself with repeated big thanks to us for the help. 

To Quote Al Murray: (I’ve said it before) ‘Grow Up. It’s James or Jim. Not Jamie’

Absolutely AD. Lucas is thick skinned enough like the rest of us to make it. And to be fair, when and if I get called a c*** on here, I’ll take it on the chin (and like it probably). :0) 

That's what I was implying because we all know how Lucas is and he is doing his own thing and good luck to him, but this Jamie guy just doesn't understand that all his questions have been answered and lots of free advice given and some how everybody is being awkward:blink: 

Fail to see how my advise could be taken as negative, all I suggested was to attend auctions in person before attempting to buy on line, online buying is a skill set built on many visits to an auction.

13 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Fail to see how my advise could be taken as negative, all I suggested was to attend auctions in person before attempting to buy on line, online buying is a skill set built on many visits to an auction.

Justin, an ungrateful expectant attitude springs to mind. 

Wow, reminds me of me 6 months ago :o @Jaime even if you get called a cunt by these lot, you won't find better advice anywhere on the planet, take it lije a, man, get over yourself (just like I did) and you might learn something

4 minutes ago, MrV said:

Wow, reminds me of me 6 months ago :o @Jaime even if you get called a cunt by these lot, you won't find better advice anywhere on the planet, take it lije a, man, get over yourself (just like I did) and you might learn something

Now there’s a compliment to the experience here. 

Hi all... reading this forum for the last few weeks has been really interesting and has helped me a lot regarding getting my trade plates, insurance etc and buying my first car at auction. I have decided to self warrant via  Lawgistics. Though i'm a newbie at this, I ran a successful business for 26 years (although the last 8 years sucked big time) so i am under few illusions when it comes to how things can turn to Shinola, I am also very aware of the customers bloated sense of entitlement which has to be managed. I do not work any longer and am in no particular hurry so hopefully i'll have the time to build from part time lower volume into something bigger as i get past the cock-ups and mistakes i am bound to make in a new business. I just wanted to comment on the helpfulness of most of the dealers who reply to new members questions (even the stupid lazy ones)...i have been on a lot of forums searching for new business ideas and the vitriol that comes back to anyone asking for help is sometimes cringeworthy...so on that note... i am confused as to what i would have to do if i buy a car without a V5 or just a part of the V5? obviously i don't want to add my name to the list of owners. any help appreciated

22 hours ago, JCC said:

Hi all... reading this forum for the last few weeks has been really interesting and has helped me a lot regarding getting my trade plates, insurance etc and buying my first car at auction. I have decided to self warrant via  Lawgistics. Though i'm a newbie at this, I ran a successful business for 26 years (although the last 8 years sucked big time) so i am under few illusions when it comes to how things can turn to Shinola, I am also very aware of the customers bloated sense of entitlement which has to be managed. I do not work any longer and am in no particular hurry so hopefully i'll have the time to build from part time lower volume into something bigger as i get past the cock-ups and mistakes i am bound to make in a new business. I just wanted to comment on the helpfulness of most of the dealers who reply to new members questions (even the stupid lazy ones)...i have been on a lot of forums searching for new business ideas and the vitriol that comes back to anyone asking for help is sometimes cringeworthy...so on that note... i am confused as to what i would have to do if i buy a car without a V5 or just a part of the V5? obviously i don't want to add my name to the list of owners. any help appreciated

There may be a quicker or better way than what I am about to suggest but if it were me, i’d download a v62 form and keep it with the docs for the car. When the car is sold, fill in the v62 in the new owners details and take them to the post office to tax the vehicle and also submit the v62, the post office will send it off to the dvla. The new owner will have a taxed car and a new v5 in the post when the dvla action it. 

You could offer to pay 6 months tax at the PO when you take the customer there, to grease the wheels. It’s what I have done in the past. 

9 hours ago, EPV said:

There may be a quicker or better way than what I am about to suggest but if it were me, i’d download a v62 form and keep it with the docs for the car. When the car is sold, fill in the v62 in the new owners details and take them to the post office to tax the vehicle and also submit the v62, the post office will send it off to the dvla. The new owner will have a taxed car and a new v5 in the post when the dvla action it. 

You could offer to pay 6 months tax at the PO when you take the customer there, to grease the wheels. It’s what I have done in the past. 

I think you will find you can only do this if the car is "in trade" otherwise it will get rejected at the post office.

14 minutes ago, Row said:

I think you will find you can only do this if the car is "in trade" otherwise it will get rejected at the post office.

Probably but i’m assuming the OP is talking about buying a car from an auction, probably a bold assumption! 

31 minutes ago, EPV said:

Probably but i’m assuming the OP is talking about buying a car from an auction, probably a bold assumption! 

Even cars from auction with out a V5 can be "not in trade" for various reasons

Furry muff. So what’s the answer to the OPs problem do you think? 

6 minutes ago, EPV said:

wait for eternity

Edited by Rory RSC

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

Do an online m.o.t status check, it will tell you at the bottom of the page, it will say something like "this vehicle may be able to be taxed at the post office with out a V5"

4 minutes ago, Row said:

Do an online m.o.t status check, it will tell you at the bottom of the page, it will say something like "this vehicle may be able to be taxed at the post office with out a V5"

Cool, what if it can't?

8 minutes ago, EPV said:

Cool, what if it can't?

Then I don't buy without a V5 because it means you will have to do the V62 in the new owner name and wait till it comes back before taxing it, I know you probably already know this James.

10 minutes ago, Row said:

Then I don't buy without a V5 because it means you will have to do the V62 in the new owner name and wait till it comes back before taxing it, I know you probably already know this James.

No I didn't mate, thats why I was asking. If the car is in the trade it's simple enough, if it's not then I suppose its quite complicated. I guess before bidding, you check if the car is taxed, if it's not, chances are, it's in the trade. No guarantee but a good chance.

On 03/05/2019 at 6:40 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

And, this should have be done right from the start. It's a secondary income and should be declared, not only that, the people who do it are undercutting us, robbing us of our income and giving us all a bad name... 

I started out 2 years ago. Before i bought my first car i got, 1 trade insurance,2 dealer plates and 3 declared myself as a trader to inland revenue. Before you start to deal you should have at least this sorted. My first cars were a high mileage corsa and a toyota aygo. The seats in the corsa were so filthy i took the covers off them and washed them in the sink! did come up as new though. The aygo needed a replacement front bumper which i sourced from northern ireland and swapped myself. You will do a lot more than you think you will need to starting car dealing and will learn to buy smarter and be less gullible/trusting in this game. Dont underestimate the help from this forum though. I was a lurker just learning for a while. Just one paragraph from the more experienced on here can change your mindset or give you a quality tip/aha moment. All this advice is given freely so respect that and the people who give it. Oh and good luck! 

You can just phone dvla and they will tell you over the phone if the cars in trade. They will also tell you if the car can be taxed at a post office with a V62.

I have done this many times, just make sure the customer has paid in full for the car before taxing and registering to them at the post office. We always download and partially fill in a v62, which we keep together with the history etc in the car folder for a customer to view.

The only time this does not work is with ex-crown cars, with or without v5's. 

Hi one and all and thank you for your responses...to be clear i have trade plates and motor trade insurance and my accountant is aware of my new folly :) so i purchased the car only when all was in place to be able to get the car home without problems...maybe i did not make it clear that the only things in the car were the MOT certs, 2nd Key, Service book, and part of the V5 document with part 10 and 11remaining.  I assumed (incorrectly i guess)  that the Auction house would have informed the DVLA of the new owner via the details they ask for at point of purchase...thats wrong, Right?....should i just send part 10 to the DVLA, swallow the extra owner but explain to the customer any advice welcome.

I will call the DVLA as advised by tony F see if they can help

54 minutes ago, JCC said:

Hi one and all and thank you for your responses...to be clear i have trade plates and motor trade insurance and my accountant is aware of my new folly :) so i purchased the car only when all was in place to be able to get the car home without problems...maybe i did not make it clear that the only things in the car were the MOT certs, 2nd Key, Service book, and part of the V5 document with part 10 and 11remaining.  I assumed (incorrectly i guess)  that the Auction house would have informed the DVLA of the new owner via the details they ask for at point of purchase...thats wrong, Right?....should i just send part 10 to the DVLA, swallow the extra owner but explain to the customer any advice welcome.

I will call the DVLA as advised by tony F see if they can help

what was the question again?