Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Paddock Wood

3 hours ago, twerp said:

They're already there if you  think about the E-Auctions using the vendors photos and they don't even posses the stock.

Really, BCA and Manheim are effectively 'there' now also, all the elements are in place. They obviously have been planning this for some time, investing photo booths, and building websites and online bidding that will enable them to 'expend' to online only easily. It's just for them to decide when they push the button (no pun intended). Of course the big selling point will be "no more parking hassle, bid at home".

Also, bear in mind if you asked the manager at BCA Paddock Wood about parking he would probably reply, "what's worse, no stock or no parking?"

52 minutes ago, met said:

Really, BCA and Manheim are effectively 'there' now also, all the elements are in place. They obviously have been planning this for some time, investing photo booths, and building websites and online bidding that will enable them to 'expend' to online only easily. It's just for them to decide when they push the button (no pun intended). Of course the big selling point will be "no more parking hassle, bid at home".

Also, bear in mind if you asked the manager at BCA Paddock Wood about parking he would probably reply, "what's worse, no stock or no parking?"

The thing is, how long until the vendors realise they are doing all the hard work, DIY it and cut out the middle men ?

Fleet companies already do direct sales.

BCA basically bend over backwards for the big vendors and practically charge them nothing to gain market share and buyers fees.

• Like 1

Personally, I wish all auctions were online only.  It is how I buy but I do understand, those who attend do have an advantage.  If nothing else, no Online fee.

In my opinion, there should be a charge to attend physically and free Online if they want to encourage more ebidding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

online seems to be a lottery on grades/reports

In my experience, I have dropped no more balls online vs. physical but that may just be a consequence of learning what to buy and what not to buy as I gather more experience.

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

In my experience, I have dropped no more balls online vs. physical but that may just be a consequence of learning what to buy and what not to buy as I gather more experience.

Absolutely concur. Occasionally you buy a lemon and make lemonade.  

3 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

online seems to be a lottery on grades/reports

Each auction seems to grade differently.We found this out long ago so at one sale we only buy Grade 5 because elsewhere it would be a 2 or 3.( note up to 5 year old stuff only).You get plenty of bonuses with on line buying.It is also beneficial to notice if there are strong hall bids when buying Grade 5’s online,that’s a bit of a giveaway.

On 10/05/2019 at 11:04 AM, met said:

Well they're not legally obliged to provide customer parking, its a privelege. And obviously they would prefer you to buy online from the comfort of your own home?

It was the same last week to be honest. I don't mind a walk, where's the nearest public car park there, at the station? 

i beleieve they do have to legally cater or provide facilities for their customers. 

Otherwise if customers parked elsewhere eg outside other businesses or residential areas they would cause hostility towards BCA. 

They cannot force people to buy online particularly as there is a charge than an incentive. If you bought 10 cars Thats £500

7 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

i beleieve they do have to legally cater or provide facilities for their customers. 

Otherwise if customers parked elsewhere eg outside other businesses or residential areas they would cause hostility towards BCA. 

They cannot force people to buy online particularly as there is a charge than an incentive. If you bought 10 cars Thats £500

That's sort of what they are doing at a few auction sites now though. Putting the squeeze on parking is the thin end if the wedge. They dont have to force you to buy online, they will just start to run down physical sales. 

"Don't shoot the messenger!" i like going to auctions, its handy giving things the once over in person, but i feel it's coming to an end. I think they've had the idea in mind for some time and the various elements have been brought in gradually piece by piece. They gave us a website to search stock, they gave us bidding on line, paying on line, the ability to buy 24/7. The last piece if the jigsaw is the cash buyer. The guy thats walks in off the street and waves his hand. Well he is having to register for a paddle number like any general auction. So the 64k dollar question is how long it is before some bright spark at head office wonders why they bother catering for live auctions. My guess is they will pick a site that has parking issues (genuine or engineered?) like bca PW and maybe go online only on wednesdays. Maybe discount buying fees as a sweetener?

But it's coming. Auction houses have so much to gain from it and less to lose. Just my opinion of course, and what is the internet without opinions! Lol

I quite liked having a breakfast at PW, until I made the mistake of looking up one day. God knows how much dust and other assorted shite drops down from there.

Edited by beenaroundtheblock

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Be a real shame if buyer present auctions go completely.

Contrary to what was posted earlier, I have found the vast majority of indie car dealers to be very friendly, very helpful and I've rarely come across dealers that hate each other. Many are close friends now. 

Auctions are great for catching up on car dealer gossip as in what to buy, what to avoid, common problems, customer issues, it's a well oiled sump of general help, that has helped me no end of times over the years. 

Being an indie dealer can be a bloody lonely business. A visit to the auction is like a self help group.

it gets to the stage that everyones telling you the same old stories and how busy they are though

when i used to go i just kept to a few dealers who i knew who  didnt over egg the cake

still easy to miss a car though as you slaarg off another dealer

Just out of interest I thought it was real quiet there today. Everyone must have took the day off and gone to Brighton? I arrived about 11am and there were even parking spaces! Shock horror.

Later model lease and manufacturer stock moving online at rapid rate. Dealer Px physical auctions will be around for a few years to come yet. I think the auctions would prefer it if it all stayed physical as that's where the higher fees come in 

10 hours ago, Auction Buyer said:

Later model lease and manufacturer stock moving online at rapid rate. Dealer Px physical auctions will be around for a few years to come yet. I think the auctions would prefer it if it all stayed physical as that's where the higher fees come in 

It will all go online eventually. No downside for the auctions.