TangoVictor32

Claim cost of insurance increase from third party insurer?

Hi guys I have had insurance spike due to a non fault accident a few months ago.

I have heard it might be possible to claim the difference from third party insurer as the increase is due to their drivers fault.

Has anyone else ever done this? 

Edited by TangoVictor32

I have no idea, never tried it, I expect their insurers will not allow it, unless they have Uninsured Loss Cover, but I suppose you can persue them personally through Civil Action .................

Personally my experience of civil actions against a third party is that the only winners are the Lawyers ;) 

• Like 1

I will try it.

Ncb are nothing but a con. You're considered as a higher risk if you have had non fault accidents hence your price increases.

My new provider has now asked to speak to my former insurer to confirm that they will not renew due to the non fault accident as it sounds dodgy.

So i have to ask them to disclose my files now.

Insurance needs to be looked at as the current system is not fit for purpose. I cannot and neither can any one else control another driver from driving into you.

Yes you can drive defensively but that only works for vehicles infront and behind you (you can slow down/ move out the way etc). Vehicles parallel to you that just swing into you - you cannot do anything for.

Yes you know what i been doing all day today - ringing insurance companies!

It’s wrong but I originally heard this was the case over two decades ago - my guess is it’s always been the case. 

On a Trade Policy Bollingtons do a %age NCD, a fair few years ago I hit a Micra up the arse with my Discovery and a Power Boat on the back, totalled the Micra and the car in front, only slight damage to the Disco :D

Only lost a small percentage of my maximum NCD, now back up to Max

I am fairly certain they haven't changed that.

HTH,

Edited by Dave2302

I have a bike policy and trade policy, Bike insurance has 8 years NCB and trade is 6 years. You cant use a bike NCB to trade policy. However if I had a bike claim then my trade policy would be effected!! It only transfers when it suits them

insurance mmmmmmmmmm

last year lv charged me 25% more than the year before and no claims

this year they refused to quote and hid behind gdpr

im now with covea much better cover and same price as last year

if it means a lot your only recourse is small claims court,you would be looking to be put back in the position you were in prior to the claim but this would be difficult to assess as a value term in £ notes

unfortunately 

Not really. Lets say renewal is £3000 and due to the non fault accident the same level of cover is £4200 there is an increase of £1200 

My ncb not effected but the non fault accident does increase the cost

14 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

if you have "legal protection" ask them, you may have this with house insurance for example, its what you paid for :)

I thought legal protection was to cover costs of legal fees?

I do recall claiming the cost from one insurer provider for an increase for one reason or another years ago. This was on a private policy before i started trading. I have seen a document in my insurance folder on the pc. I will dig around more tomorrow and go back on my emails. 

It is "Uninsured Loss Cover" that is beneficial in this circumstance, clearly it is a provable loss of money, and some sort of indication of next years and the year afters extra costs would be claimable too ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

It is "Uninsured Loss Cover" that is beneficial in this circumstance, clearly it is a provable loss of money, and some sort of indication of next years and the year afters extra costs would be claimable too ;)

I make that 5 years in total then as that's how long it lasts for.. 

My experience with insurance companies is that they tend to want it all their own way and will try and wiggle on payout if possible  so make sure your paperwork is all tight, approx 10 yrs ago when I worked from premises I had 2 right offs in quick sussesion with named people on my policy who worked for me and they tried every trick in the book to wriggle on payout on the second one( I thought I was going to be 14k out of pocket for a while) and my premiums jumped 4K a year for a while, it did not matter that the 10 years previous to this incidents was claim free.

it tends to be a one way street

in fact some of the treatment I have had with insurance companies over the years is shocking

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lazz said:

in fact some of the treatment I have had with insurance companies over the years is shocking

I'll second that ...................

Now I don't know if this still exists but I had to invoke it once with Nat West Home Insurance .................

Had my Pontiac Firebird hit by a falling house roof ridge tile on a stormy night :(

Trade Ins only covered the yank for TPFT, so would not cover the cost of the Rear Window, which was over £1400, plus some scraped paint on roof and tailgate .............

It was my Dads house, not mine, Trade Insurer said claim off house insurance, (3rd party liability), we did and some little pillock got all snotty and said it should be claimed from Car Ins, I explained what they had said, and Snotty said it would only be covered if my dad was on the roof physically throwing tiles at my Car ..........................

Bam .......... Fireworks .......... Teddy out of cot !!

Bollingtons rep told me on the QT that if they refused a payout my Dad was entitled to write and tell them that as he was refused a genuine claim, he had effectively had no cover for all the many years he had been with them, and so he was now demanding a full refund of all premiums paid since the inception of the policy way back when,................... which of course in readys far exceeded the claim for the Car enormously :D

Nat West returned all premiums paid to Dad, who then paid me for the Car damage at cost, and pocketed the rest ................

He re insured his Home with someone else !!

This was around 14 years ago, but ..................

AFAIK that still stands today.

Edited by Dave2302

Funny you should mention that, also had it once 6 months through a 12 months combined policy with a new company they contacted  me to say i needed to provide them with electrical certificates etc for the premises i was in and i told them as i was n't paying for that as they should of stated that as a requirement when i took it out.

We had a mexican stand of on that and they cancelled my insurance there and then (had to take out temporary insurance to get home) but eventually i managed to get all my premiums back with a bit of shoving.

Also had a accident just under 5 years ago, old bloke ran into the back of us, admitted liability, his insurance company paid out etc, we did not loose any NCB or anything (it was n't protected or anything) as it was n't our fault yet that incident has put our premiums up a bit and has lived with for nearly 5 years.

You can't win with them?

one way street

2 hours ago, Lazz said:

You can't win with them?

one way street

Yep +1