Sign in to follow this  
Rmar

Autotrader Vehicle Checks

What do you all think to Autotrader Vehicle Checks?...I feel like they are giving the customer too much information. A few of my cars have shown up as still on finance even though they arent but that could put a prospective buyer off if that wrong information is easily accessible to them. 

Auto who? ;0)

There is another thread on this I think. 

If I was still with them, I'd be demanding compensation for lack of sales or at least no bills for the period until they sorted it out.  There would no-doubt be some 'reason' as to why what they are doing isn't their fault or an issue.

Unlimited vehicle check through autotrader/experian seems to be good VFM at around £15 month.

But heres a scenario that happened, that may affect anyone that is sloppy with mileage input or rounds down the miles on the dealer portal adverts. We normally put the precise miles on ads, and I was about to click the ad live when I decided to double check the miles on the car again as I wasn't 100% sure. The car mileage was 2000 more than my advert, so we ammended the ad. 

It then ocurred to me that if the ad had gone live before correcting it, it would have automatically had an Experian check through autotrader. This would then have flagged up a mileage discrepancy as the car had been previously hpi checked a week or so ago at the main agent and/or say BCA. What a dealbreaker to a potential buyer. Can you imagine the hassle trying to get experian to correct the data. Just worth remembering this, especially if you round down your mileages.

On 16/03/2019 at 10:34 AM, NOACROSS said:

Auto who? ;0)

There is another thread on this I think. 

They are renaming the product to AT Check MAX 8

Saves me from creating a new thread.. 

I'm having issues with this new AT check as in a couple of my cars (which are all ex lease company vehicles) showing mileage discrepancies. 

To give an example on one, the discrepancy is from 117, 953 to 117, 638 in space of a month. I spoke to Experian who were of no help, said they needed some sort of proof ON THE EXACT DAY of that mileage input to take it off, which I didn't have as the car had not been serviced or MOT'd at that particular time.

They promised to investigate it further but have now come back with the following and I quote

'I understand that this is flagging a discrepancy but the actual discrepancy showing is not big enough for us investigate and we would consider this as not a discrepancy' 

So basically they are saying it's not a discrepancy even though it is showing as a discrepancy but they cannot remove the discrepancy because it is not large enough to be classed as a discrepancy!! 

Meanwhile I now have a 9k car that is flagging up as MILEAGE DISCREPANCY, THIS COULD BE A SERIOUS ISSUE PLEASE CONTACT THE DEALER.

Shame because the AT check itself is a good idea but the guys at Experian are clueless.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

They are renaming the product to AT Check MAX 8

:o)

I called our rep yesterday and asked to have this taken off our account as a couple of our cars were showing a mileage discrepancy. He called in today and I asked him to show me how I can do normal paid for checks like we used to, he called the office for advice and was told it is no longer possible. They will remove all options to check a vehicle if you choose to opt out. Not a problem as we have an HPi account but surely a bit silly on their part. He was fuming and reckons they didn't think it through or trial it properly before launch. Now who'd have thought such a thing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Autolink100 said:

They will remove all options to check a vehicle if you choose to opt out. Not a problem as we have an HPi account but surely a bit silly on their part. He was fuming and reckons they didn't think it through or trial it properly before launch. Now who'd have thought such a thing.

SO true, I wonder how many of these so called improvements have been run by any indie trader with the knowledge on how this problem may occur... I remember years ago there was a term was BETA TESTING .. this is where new software was given to a few geeks who enjoyed testing for errors but also worked in a particular sector.... This aimed to iron out the bugs... 

However, it now seems many businesses just throw the "new" programme on the market for the market to iron out the bugs..  shabby.. lets them employ call centre staff reading scripted answers too.. and by the sound of it embarrass sales staff in front of clients!

Market leaders, innovation.. my ar*e....

16 hours ago, Autolink100 said:

I called our rep yesterday and asked to have this taken off our account as a couple of our cars were showing a mileage discrepancy. He called in today and I asked him to show me how I can do normal paid for checks like we used to, he called the office for advice and was told it is no longer possible. They will remove all options to check a vehicle if you choose to opt out. Not a problem as we have an HPi account but surely a bit silly on their part. He was fuming and reckons they didn't think it through or trial it properly before launch. Now who'd have thought such a thing.

I have never, ever physically seen a rep, in fact i couldn't even tell you who my account manager is....!

We have 2 cars showing "mileage discrepancy" but I cannot see a discrepancy in the mileage it's flagging up!

Also had this message today regarding a PX we took in last week and decided to retail, we cleared the finance on handover: 

"Is it still available? Is there any outstanding finance on this vehicle please? Autotrader suggests there may be. I would like to know this before l decide to travel from Hereford to look/test drive"

Although I'm happy with the cost saving I think this could potentially cost a deal or at least deter some of our leads so will have to think about keeping it in place.

• Like 1

Another innacurate mileage discrepancy. A p/ex we have, has been previously checked with mileage at 74000. 3 days later checked again at 70400. You can guess whats previously happened, with someone asking whats the mileage on that car and someone replying seventy-four!! This mileage discrepancy is now stays with the experian check and the real problem is that it will be right in the face of any customer looking at the car on a/trader. It is highly likely that this information will put the customer off even making an enquiry, thereby eliminating the opportunity to inform the customer that its a human input error and the cars s/history and vosa check can disprove the experian check etc.

I think we are very close to opting out of a/traders 'free' checks and reverting back to either hpi or paying the 20quid for 5 checks direct with experian. At least with our own hpi check printout, we will have control over explaining any genuine issues with the customer without losing the opportunity of a sale. Theres nothing wrong with transparency, but we all know that a little knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 1:32 PM, RJEauto said:

We have 2 cars showing "mileage discrepancy" but I cannot see a discrepancy in the mileage it's flagging up!

Also had this message today regarding a PX we took in last week and decided to retail, we cleared the finance on handover: 

"Is it still available? Is there any outstanding finance on this vehicle please? Autotrader suggests there may be. I would like to know this before l decide to travel from Hereford to look/test drive"

Although I'm happy with the cost saving I think this could potentially cost a deal or at least deter some of our leads so will have to think about keeping it in place.

Not fit for purpose as it is, I cant imagine a billy accepting any explanation over discrepancies if the report they have warns them on such a crucial topic... AT will only change things if people ditch the service.. I was appalled to read above the Experian "didnt consider the discrepancy to mean that much" resulting in them refusing to investigate..

Smacks of not fit for purpose at both ends.... but now introduced and being charged for.. all about protecting the consumer - my arse, all about another income stream..

Let the AT reps feed it back that users are walking.. 

If you don't know who your rep is make it your mission to get them out.

Find a good one. Ours is great and works with us. Even a self nominating know it all like me ;) learns from our conversations and takes something from it. 

When you pay them all that money get them working for you, use what they tell you combined with your own knowledge and usually a couple of subtle tweaks here and there can achieve good results. Remember they constantly make changes,if you don't know you can't adjust.

• Like 1

In update to my post above, I contacted my rep who agreed it was ridiculous and got in touch with Experian to get the discrepancies removed... Came back frustrated when he got the same response from them as I did :rolleyes:

I had no choice but to remove the AT check, he did say they are taking all feedback on board and a lot of dealers are having the same issues so it might get tweaked in the future.

The car that was showing a discrepancy was getting a lot of interest before they introduced the check, not a single enquiry since the car was flagging up as a discrepancy on the advert and since I've had the AT check removed, I've now taken a deposit on the car.

I'm trying out motorcheck.co.uk for HPIs at the moment, £3 for a hpi check and they also have spec check. Well worth a look.

• Like 1

What other than MOT errors flags up NMR enquiry results.

Is it assimple as someone calling me for a valuation me HPI checking the car pulling up cap values and putting 59k when its actually 79k or such like or is there more to it?

I don't actually know all that much about it.

Rep called yesterday and informed me that the mileage indicator was being removed so watch this space 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

What other than MOT errors flags up NMR enquiry results.

Is it assimple as someone calling me for a valuation me HPI checking the car pulling up cap values and putting 59k when its actually 79k or such like or is there more to it?

I don't actually know all that much about it.

its when someone inputs something into the NMR i think

2 hours ago, DHill said:

I had no choice but to remove the AT check, he did say they are taking all feedback on board and a lot of dealers are having the same issues so it might get tweaked in the future.

The car that was showing a discrepancy was getting a lot of interest before they introduced the check, not a single enquiry since the car was flagging up as a discrepancy on the advert and since I've had the AT check removed, I've now taken a deposit on the car.

I'm trying out motorcheck.co.uk for HPIs at the moment, £3 for a hpi check and they also have spec check. Well worth a look.

Glad to read you have got a deposit down on this vehicle now, bit scary to read you had interest, then as a result of the discrepancy it was dead... Pretty good example of how this tosh from AT can affect sales, and you would not even know if it was affecting your sales or viewers choices?...

Think its quiet? Think - what have AT changed recently if you use them..?? FFS another gremlin to swerve

Really shouldnt be that AT/Experian can upset an independent business in such a way... This thread needs passing to forum mods so a missive can go out there to AT for feedback / action and response.... and for this they want you to pay more...

Today we phoned to cancel the AT check because of this mileage indicator nonsense and were told that the mileage info will still be in portal but not in adverts. From what I understand the experian mileage data base consisted of things like V5 information from owners often with rounded up or down numbers, insurance quote enquiries, auction entry information, et al. It's no wonder that with so many lazy inputters, that the information received out is incorrect..

We decided to stay with AT check and keep a good eye on how this goes.   

Hi All, 

I will appreciate if you could let me know how much AT is charging for AT check? I see someone mentioned £15/month. Is it for unlimited checks? If yes then it seems likes a very good value for money. 

9 minutes ago, VGhiya said:

Hi All, 

I will appreciate if you could let me know how much AT is charging for AT check? I see someone mentioned £15/month. Is it for unlimited checks? If yes then it seems likes a very good value for money. 

Or is this a monthly charge plus, and there is a fee/check on top?

12 minutes ago, VGhiya said:

Hi All, 

Or is this a monthly charge plus, and there is a fee/check on top?

I meant to ask for AT Vehicle check. Can't type properly on Friday :-)

40 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

The price is relative to the amount of cars you have advertised. 

Yes it is unlimited

Hi David,

Thank you for your response. It would be really helpful if you could give me some idea about amount of cars advertised for £15-20/mo of vehicle check.