Sign in to follow this  
It's me

4 year mot

in the budget new cars to have first mot after 4 years from 2017,they slipped that one under the net

Something for nothing?! Interestingly, he made a few references to the 'Autumn review' so plenty of scope for bad news yet.

He giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other; Insurance Premium Tax is going up

We do a lot of MOT's, looking at the service books a lot of people take it to main dealers for the first one, we normally pick up MOTs after 5-6 yrs. Wonder if this will impact how long people keep hold of the car from new?

The proposed change to 4 year MOT's is much more important for many in the aftersales side. Just look at this year , it's predicted that 2.4M NEW cars will be registered in the UK this year, fast forward 3 years, thats 2.4M MOT's that won't be carried out, so who is missing out? Yet again its the Motortrade, not only this but there is an issue with not checking the cars with a figure of 23% of all cars either fail or advised on their 1ST MOT of low or dangerous tyres! So if customers are not checking their car because they have to and with service intervals now longer than they ever have been, who is going to be responsible for all the lives that will be lost due to blow outs on the motorway? If you've also put a Hyundai through it's first MOT , how many have required road springs because they are broken?

A backwards step in my mind, also a step closer to 4-2-2 MOT's which will be a disaster!

Jim

• Like 1

The proposed change to 4 year MOT's is much more important for many in the aftersales side. Just look at this year , it's predicted that 2.4M NEW cars will be registered in the UK this year, fast forward 3 years, thats 2.4M MOT's that won't be carried out, so who is missing out? Yet again its the Motortrade, not only this but there is an issue with not checking the cars with a figure of 23% of all cars either fail or advised on their 1ST MOT of low or dangerous tyres! So if customers are not checking their car because they have to and with service intervals now longer than they ever have been, who is going to be responsible for all the lives that will be lost due to blow outs on the motorway? If you've also put a Hyundai through it's first MOT , how many have required road springs because they are broken?

A backwards step in my mind, also a step closer to 4-2-2 MOT's which will be a disaster!

Jim

As you were probably aware JIm, I was looking into setting up an MOT testing station. After much research and number crunching I've decided against it, the points you make played a large factor in my decision.

• Like 1

Have you found your car? There are other car dealer sites that you can search base on your budget. That way you have much more choices. Good luck

Northern Ireland already have 4 year mot's, the biggest issue is out of most of the cars we see at some point there is an advisory for tyres being close to the limit and that's on relatively new cars too.