Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Vehicle Clamped

On the 3rd December 2018 I left an untaxed vehicle outside my unit (which is in a residential street) whilst I took another vehicle to my local MOT guy, I was away for approx 15 minutes and when I came back was greeted with a nice yellow clamp on the front wheel, hands up, my fault entirely. I had to go to the compound place approx 15 miles away with trade plates, proof of motor trade insurance, V5 etc etc and pay the £100 un-clamping fee. Ok put that one down to experience and make sure all untaxed cars are brought back in doors.

HOWEVER I have now received a further letter from DVLA Enforcement Centre Swansea demanding a further £105, under the heading of Penalty for untaxed vehicle. So thats £205 in total. Seems a bit extreme, I thought once you paid the un-clamping fee that would be the end of it. Anyone come across this before or had the same unfortunate experience?

Yes, count yourself lucky. I know of dealers who have had to pay 5x more. 

Also, I got fined £35 by DVLA for driving in an untaxed car with plates in window. It was a zero tax car. Lesson learnt. 

Its happened to me many times - there is always the release fee THEN the fee direct from DVLA. Most expensive I received was £280.

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

hi bsm yes its standard

main thing is pay it promptly or it escalates

+1

They should have charged you the tax due on the vehicle from the date you purchased it and a admin fee shouldnt be to hard to work out if its right, they do make mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, justina3 said:

They should have charged you the tax due on the vehicle from the date you purchased it and a admin fee shouldnt be to hard to work out if its right, they do make mistakes. 

that might be the logical reason

but

think about it from the legal perspective

car found on property that public have access thus car should be taxed  and insured

its not the dvla's responsibility to ask questions like how long have you owned it its just simpler to take all back tax owed,remember they dont know if this car was a user by trader or anyone else this is why trade plates can be worth their worth in mars bar wrappers

I had the same thing happen to me. Went to the compound and paid whatever they told me to pay. A few months later received a court summons saying funds were outstanding. Learnt my lessons as it wasn't cheap!

How long roughly does it take for the amount you have to pay in back tax to come through? 

I had this happen to me, paid the release fee, got the the letter asking for details and telling me I might be prosecuted for back tax BUT it arrived after the date it said to send it back by!

I called the dvla to explain and the chap said the matter was closed but I wasn't altogether convinced. 

This was the middle of January. 

What do you think I should do, chase it up and risk re opening things again or just take my chances and see what happens? 

8 hours ago, Frankieola said:

How long roughly does it take for the amount you have to pay in back tax to come through? 

I had this happen to me, paid the release fee, got the the letter asking for details and telling me I might be prosecuted for back tax BUT it arrived after the date it said to send it back by!

I called the dvla to explain and the chap said the matter was closed but I wasn't altogether convinced. 

This was the middle of January. 

What do you think I should do, chase it up and risk re opening things again or just take my chances and see what happens? 

If they’ve told you case closed don’t worry about it. 

On 04/03/2019 at 11:12 AM, Beautiful South Martin said:

On the 3rd December 2018 I left an untaxed vehicle outside my unit (which is in a residential street) whilst I took another vehicle to my local MOT guy, I was away for approx 15 minutes and when I came back was greeted with a nice yellow clamp on the front wheel, hands up, my fault entirely. I had to go to the compound place approx 15 miles away with trade plates, proof of motor trade insurance, V5 etc etc and pay the £100 un-clamping fee. Ok put that one down to experience and make sure all untaxed cars are brought back in doors.

HOWEVER I have now received a further letter from DVLA Enforcement Centre Swansea demanding a further £105, under the heading of Penalty for untaxed vehicle. So thats £205 in total. Seems a bit extreme, I thought once you paid the un-clamping fee that would be the end of it. Anyone come across this before or had the same unfortunate experience?

BSM, couple of years ago I had three cars lifted at the same time to the DVLA pound in Plymouth, the day before I was due to go on holiday to Thailand. I found out only two hours before they closed, got there 15 minutes before they shut.... it cost me nearly a grand in fines plus back tax and taxing them so they could be parked legally on the street...

Its happened a few times to me over the years....  I’m soooo glad now I have my unit.