Sign in to follow this  
Earunder

Videos - Need some advice

Hey guys,

We've all been doing pics for some time now and just wondered how you guys got on with videos and what setups you were running. We currently have a Nikon D3300 and take between 40 and 60 pics per car.  The guys hate me as I'm a finicky fucker and have them follow my photo guide to the book so want but I'm kinda stuck as when I've gone to do videos, the movement of the camera just frustrates me (as I said I'm pretty finicky).  I don't know anything about stands, hand held thingy's that make it smoother or even if they work at all so any help and advice would much be appreciated.

PS - I tried the YouTube smoothing rendering thing but that just came out like the car was warping in and out from a star trek movie O.o

Get yourself a 3 axis gimbal and learn how to set it up & use it properly, they're not easy to balance but once they are, they're great bits of kit.

They can be quite expensive, but they really help with smoothing everything out.

2 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Get yourself a 3 axis gimbal and learn how to set it up & use it properly, they're not easy to balance but once they are, they're great bits of kit.

They can be quite expensive, but they really help with smoothing everything out.

Like this?

41+EEV7qr8L._AC_US218_.jpg

So they do work?  They look all fingers and thumbs.  Just don't have very good reviews but I suppose that could be from people like me who are all fingers and thumbs...

That looks quite fancy, I use one like this, I can't find the actual branded product but you get the idea https://goo.gl/images/cfkvEW

They are very fiddly, there isn't an easy product that I can think of that's super easy to use 

Maybe consider a smaller compact digital camera for use with a gimbal

I tried using a Gimbal, but I found it incompatible with how I like to do the vids, it restricts your movement and flexibility.... IMO the best tool is an iPhone with the iMovie app....... absolutely fabulous, easy and simple to use. 

Earunder, best advise is to make the video personable, sell yourself and the car....don't be boring.... people buy from people.

have you tried hanging a coathanger off your head and tying the camera to it via some tie wraps?

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I tried using a Gimbal, but I found it incompatible with how I like to do the vids

+1. 

Spent nearly £90 for it and now only use the video software that came with it :-) 

I tried using a Gimbal, but I found it incompatible with how I like to do the vids, it restricts your movement and flexibility.... IMO the best tool is an iPhone with the iMovie app....... absolutely fabulous, easy and simple to use. 

Earunder, best advise is to make the video personable, sell yourself and the car....don't be boring.... people buy from people.

this is exactly what we do, I bought a handle thing to hold the phone off eBay, as well as an external microphone that clips to your collar, works great and easy to edit on mymovie app

IMO the best tool is an iPhone with the iMovie app....... absolutely fabulous, easy and simple to use. 

+1. Although I strongly resisted videos it admit it does make life easier with those punters who visit cos they know what to expect. I’m a complete technophobe but I read AD’s comments on the iMovie app at Xmas & tried myself & now use videos as a matter of course - iMovie must be the most user friendly way to make a video ever. Even a fucking idiot like me worked it out in an hour or so.

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

+1. Although I strongly resisted videos it admit it does make life easier with those punters who visit cos they know what to expect. I’m a complete technophobe but I read AD’s comments on the iMovie app at Xmas & tried myself & now use videos as a matter of course - iMovie must be the most user friendly way to make a video ever. Even a fucking idiot like me worked it out in an hour or so.

Well there’s a compliment.  ;)

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Well there’s a compliment.  ;)

Credit where credit’s due. :wub:

17 minutes ago, BHM said:

Seen em, like em - Star Wars?

Thanks for the helpful tips guys.  We've got an iPhone here so will see how the lads get on with the iMovie app.  Didn't even think of it to be honest, thought I'd be forking out but if this works out, I'll be chuffed to bits. :D

I also can't get on with Gimbles here really must keep practising but find it a right pain when trying to move around the car or move to the inside shots.

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I also can't get on with Gimbles here really must keep practising but find it a right pain when trying to move around the car or move to the inside shots.

Same.

James (EPV) gave me a link to one which I bought and it works fine, then suddenly starts pointing at the ground or I need to stand too far away.  If I use the app it comes with, my computer will not accept it.

I know it is operator error but I have little patience.