Orrell autos

Warranty

I have just started up and unclear about the warrenty side of things I work from home but classed as trader do you need to give 6 months now and what sort of things do you have to cover I'm going to use a warrenty cover if they don't cover it because of age and mileage do I have to legally

no you dont have to give a warranty at all, However you do have to comply fully with the Consumer Wrights act 2015 and as such you are liable for certain repairs for any car you sell, 

so warranty or no warranty is your choice you are likely to get both points of view on here but ultimately its your choice, I personally do give 6m warranty and find it works for me

I'm wanting to give 6 months using warrenty wise but you never know what's going to happen on older cars  and If it's classed as wear and tear or not like clutchs if the clutch goes for instance is it wear and tear or would we need to fix it within the 6 months 

you dont have to offer a warranty but you do need to abide by the CRA 2015 - do a search and you will find plenty of info on here about this. as for 'if the warranty company dont cover it, do I have to?', see the CRA 2015. And then find a warranty company who will support you when needed. They are out there!

The Pre Delivery Inspection is your friend.

Get pads from Lawgistics or similar. Then get the car inspected, preferebly by an independent garage, any faults rectified or declared to the next potential owner. 

Then you should be able to relax.

hi orreli motors

this link is out of date but its certainly good to read through so you have an idea where you and the customer stand 

https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/Trading%20standards/SecondHandCarDealersGuidance.pdf

its from the govt site so should be free of fairies nuts and dairy produce

just to remind,its out of date but a good grounding

welcome by the way and good luck with your new chosen profession

would i offer a warranty?

depends what im selling thus what type of warranty

remember if working from home an ex customer might turn up on your doorstep with a claim at the most inopportune time,this is why i dont/ havent worked from home for yonks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orrell autos said:

Who do you suggest is a good warrenty provider 

i self warrant

OK that's good we do a full check on the vehicle before it's for sale thanks for your help my buisness partner is a mechanic just a bit on edge as we are expanding our vehicle repair to sales as we was unsure about the warranty side of things I'll keep looking in to it thank you 

23 hours ago, Orrell autos said:

OK that's good we do a full check on the vehicle before it's for sale thanks for your help my buisness partner is a mechanic just a bit on edge as we are expanding our vehicle repair to sales as we was unsure about the warranty side of things I'll keep looking in to it thank you 

This would make self warranting the best proposition, use the Lawgistics pads mentioned above for the PDI, and try to sell locally (ish) so you can get it back for potential claims. A warranty book stating what is (and isnt) covered by you will make your life (a little) easier

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 2:54 PM, Orrell autos said:

Self warrant if you have your own Techs , cheaper by far , save you thousands a year . We save 60 k a year at the side of buying warranties for £195 that are shite anyway .

Look up A1 approved warranties in Leeds 01132 709488 and talk to Stuart as they do both self warranty or their own warranty packages . 

All the best in the new sales venture too . 

On 2/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, boring dave said:

hi orreli motors

this link is out of date but its certainly good to read through so you have an idea where you and the customer stand 

https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/Trading%20standards/SecondHandCarDealersGuidance.pdf

its from the govt site so should be free of fairies nuts and dairy produce

just to remind,its out of date but a good grounding

welcome by the way and good luck with your new chosen profession

would i offer a warranty?

depends what im selling thus what type of warranty

remember if working from home an ex customer might turn up on your doorstep with a claim at the most inopportune time,this is why i dont/ havent worked from home for yonks

Dave, great link, but it was produced in 2010 for the SOGA......It's irrelevant now because of the CRA.... If you could find an up to date comparative.....   :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Dave, great link, but it was produced in 2010 for the SOGA......It's irrelevant now because of the CRA.... If you could find an up to date comparative.....   :ph34r:

i suggest you sit down

get a glass of cider out and read it

i said twice its out of date

if you go through it all as i said it will give you a perfect grounding for doing this job

remember the sun shone 100 years ago it still shines now some things dont change

12 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i suggest you sit down

get a glass of cider out and read it

i said twice its out of date

if you go through it all as i said it will give you a perfect grounding for doing this job

remember the sun shone 100 years ago it still shines now some things dont change

Hands up, oops soz. I’m a hippo for not reading it all the way. 

Thing is I got BORED Dave  :P

20 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Although still only a draft (consultation) document, the latest comparative can be found here:

https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/news-and-updates/car-traders-and-consumer-law-draft-guidance-for-dealerships-a-consultation

HTH