Becca Chaplin

Are consumers ready to buy a car purely online without ever visiting the dealership?

Are consumers ready to buy a car purely online without ever visiting the dealership?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are consumers ready to buy a car purely online without ever visiting the dealership?

• Yes – new and used cars
    • Yes – new cars only
    • Not yet but possibly soon
    • Unsure
    • Never going to happen

4 minutes ago, Becca Chaplin said:

We've run a story on Car Dealer about what people said on Facebook, Twitter and the Forum if you want to see how views compare.

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/opinion-car-buyers-ready-buy-online-without-ever-visiting-dealership/165944

Interesting to see that you're all so positive about this! I hear from people in the industry a lot that buyers aren't ready for this - but the fact customers are asking some of you if they can do the whole process without actually meeting disproves some of the naysayers.

If customers could buy with the push of a button on your website (I know it can't be quite that simple...) would it make your life easier or is that just more of a headache?

I don't think we are there yet but in theory, yes.

I would like to have a form which caputred all the data and at the press a button to reserve a car for £200 for example, automatically marking the car as reserved.

12 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I don't think we are there yet but in theory, yes.

I would like to have a form which caputred all the data and at the press a button to reserve a car for £200 for example, automatically marking the car as reserved.

This is /was all part of our Click Dealer website service. 

It’s only happened a couple of times though -where they paid a reservation fee. They always at least email or message via the website or ads, so I removed the pay option. Reserve car is still there. 

52 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

This is /was all part of our Click Dealer website service. 

It’s only happened a couple of times though -where they paid a reservation fee. They always at least email or message via the website or ads, so I removed the pay option. Reserve car is still there. 

Yep.

Click Dealer is thinking along the right lines and they can see the woods for the trees. But people aren't quite ready to just click and reserve. They will be, in about 10-20 years time I reckon.

Edited by EPV

1 hour ago, Becca Chaplin said:

We've run a story on Car Dealer about what people said on Facebook, Twitter and the Forum if you want to see how views compare.

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/opinion-car-buyers-ready-buy-online-without-ever-visiting-dealership/165944

Interesting to see that you're all so positive about this! I hear from people in the industry a lot that buyers aren't ready for this - but the fact customers are asking some of you if they can do the whole process without actually meeting disproves some of the naysayers.

If customers could buy with the push of a button on your website (I know it can't be quite that simple...) would it make your life easier or is that just more of a headache?

I have sold one car this way. Clickdealer will confirm as it was using clickdealer engage.

Most like to speak to us along the way.

Just done once this afternoon Scirocco advertised on facebook, within a few hours later after a few enquiries customer does finance props online, send him e sign link he signs it up and pays for delivery and car will be sent down in the next day or two. 

Spoke to him on the phone just to sound him out make sure he  knew what he was buying etc and ensure he sounded of sound mind ;)

5 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I have sold one car this way. Clickdealer will confirm as it was using clickdealer engage.

Most like to speak to us along the way.

Just done once this afternoon Scirocco advertised on facebook, within a few hours later after a few enquiries customer does finance props online, send him e sign link he signs it up and pays for delivery and car will be sent down in the next day or two. 

Spoke to him on the phone just to sound him out make sure he  knew what he was buying etc and ensure he sounded of sound mind ;)

Blimey that was quick, I saw that white scirocco FB post earlier!

Definitely some big franchise dealers near me have teams that solely sell this way and deliver car to where ever required, 13 people working in one team I know of 

I sold a suzuki Alto 7 odd months ago to a lady for her daughter without the buyer ever seeing the car before delivery and I'd only just started up trading, 7 months later and I'm buying her own car at trade and then sourcing another one for her, we've never even met each other.

well its not for me, the last thing i do with all my customers is shake their hands and thank them for the sale,maybe i am in the wrong job but woolworths sweet counter is no more

3 minutes ago, boring dave said:

well its not for me, the last thing i do with all my customers is shake their hands and thank them for the sale,maybe i am in the wrong job but woolworths sweet counter is no more

We still shake their hands etc. You just do it at their place. I send my Sunday guy on these jobs mostly as he’s semi retired and likes to go on these travels. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, boring dave said:

You can do so over the phone, via email, with driver etc its giving them what they want not what you want.

Put as few obstacles in the path of people who want to spend money with you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

You can do so over the phone, via email, with driver etc its giving them what they want not what you want.

Put as few obstacles in the path of people who want to spend money with you. 

thanks i know you are right