Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

2013 X5 Proberlermo :(

Oh boy, as if I didn't need any more hassle this week ...............

I've had a ton of typical VAG ELV's in here with various arsey problems to sort out and having one or two sticking around, now, this morning a nice 1 owner 13 plate X5 has turned up, Air Suspension Low on the arse end, stealers told him it needs Compressor and a Relay, he says "I'll pay for diagnosis and take it to my mate for a second opinion as it's only done 40k miles !!"

They then take ages to get the Car round to him, coming up with a ton of excuses blocked in in workshop, car park blocked, can't find key, etc etc................

Plugged it into Snap On, (which has just been updated fully), will not communicate with any module on the Car .................

OK, lets try Delphi in case Snap On fucked up, (although it's worked OK on other Cars this week) ......................... Same result with Delphi, but it does read Engine only in OBD mode, i.e. its communicating on K Line, which is no fuckin' use to me .......................

So, out with the big guns ........................

Put it on ISTA / INPA Dealer Level, same result, no communication with anything .................

It is obviously not a Diagnostic Machine Issue !!

Now this Car drives perfectly, no fault lights, everything apart from Air Suspension working faultlessly !!

So ................ Call me a distrusting cynic but I reckon BMW Stealers has pulled a plug or fuse somewhere so no one else can access it ?????????????

Any of you guys with Workshops had this ?????

Any ideas to save me some time as I'm getting all behind like a ducks arse here and have plenty other old crap to contend with ;)

Cheers Dave

remember that video i sent you the other week where dealer had disconnected the comfort module ,maybe its a similar problem but just a different module they mugged out

Yeah, I'll try and get a better look tommoz, mate has told me he's in no hurry, so will get rid of some of the shitters first ;)

I'm thinking it must be fairly specific to the diag socket perhaps where it connects to CAN Busses, because everything else is working flawlessly !!

Don't suppose anyone knows which module is used as the "router" on these ??

(for Example up to circa 2004 Merc used EIS as Router then after that they used a "CGW = Central Gateway Module).

I really don't like BMW, try to avoid them if poss, so I'm not that familiar with their inner guts, especially the later F's etc 

Hi Dave

So is there power to the OBD port? I guess there is if its talking to the Engine OBD.

Its probably blown a fuse.... A bit like your going to by the sounds of it.

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

Hi Dave

So is there power to the OBD port? I guess there is if its talking to the Engine OBD.

Its probably blown a fuse.... A bit like your going to by the sounds of it.

:lol: Cheers, yes power to OBD Port. Don's emailed, it's on back burner for a day or so, then I'll go right over it ;)

There's a 2008 VW wank stain giving me the "oh FFS you absolute bastard of old shit" moment right now ...............

Right Rear ABS signal implausible, I can tell you exactly what it isn't lol, having already changed Trigger and Sensor, going to run it out and get a data log after my late lunch !!

Had an old 06 Iveco Daily Twin Wheel builders truck was also not playing nice this morning, seem to always get a few absolute bastards all in one go then everything all goes to plan for a while, then repeat :rolleyes:

C'est la vie ............. Onwards and upwards :lol:

1 minute ago, Dave2302 said:

Right Rear ABS signal implausible, I can tell you exactly what it isn't lol, having already changed Trigger and Sensor, going to run it out and get a data log after my late lunch !!

Are the other ones reading correctly? VW are funny for the way they describe their faults, also had it got park assist? As they have a different rear ABS sensor (looks the same)

13 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Right Rear ABS signal implausible,

is that looking from the front,sat in drivers seat,or looking from the back:P

I bought one of these knock off INPA K Line DCAN cables on eBay and used it on some BMWs. Biggest waste of 4 hours of my life getting INPA to talk to Windows 10. I eventually got it working, don’t ask how. Amongst other things to make it work my cable, yours is probably a bit more sophisticated, had to be set on a particular mode on the cable by moving a switch.

It's a RHD so Im guessing ........................ the side i steer it from is the RIGHT one :lol:

G44 Right Rear ;)

Live data up my drive says 15 kph on Right Front, Left Front and Left Rear rises and falls as I go on and off the jazz pedal and zero, nada, zip, fuck all, on Right Rear.

New sensor resistance is 1210 ohms, old sensor is 1270 ohms and Factors insist it is the Correct Sensor :rolleyes:

I haven't got to belling out the Black and brown twisties up to the ABS Module yet.

Now some bastard has just towed in his sons Fiesta 05 plate, I was hoping they had decided not to come when it got to 4pm lol ...............

Non starter, looks like all his spotty mates have been at it, it's had a new alternator and battery, and some relay judging by all the bits in the back, no power at diag socket, so I'm hoping they've popped a pre fuse or similar when they fitted the Alternator, its cranking but no startee :D

Dark outside now and workshop is full of VAG's finest all in fuckin bits, 2 of the bastards, the Audi A4 has gone home fixed now, so just Passat and also a Golf with Airbag light, side impact crash sensor, so seat out and carpet up, needs a shovel to clean all the sheep shit outta the carpet !!

This is the joys of me being the only bastard round here that can actually fix a Car properly :(

8 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

I bought one of these knock off INPA K Line DCAN cables on eBay and used it on some BMWs. Biggest waste of 4 hours of my life getting INPA to talk to Windows 10. I eventually got it working, don’t ask how. Amongst other things to make it work my cable, yours is probably a bit more sophisticated, had to be set on a particular mode on the cable by moving a switch.

Hi, thanks, it's not my ISTA / INPA, I don't have that silly switched K + D line effort, I use a proper ICOM Multiplexer, but with this Car the fact is 3 machines will not connect to any module on it, nada zip, not a single one !!

There is something silly wrong here, probably a fuse or some such, but now it's at the back of a long queue, thankfully he's in Spain for another week yet ;)

Cheers ;) 

If the wires are fooked it usually throws a open/short circuit code, implausible is usually a sensor/pickup fault.

11 hours ago, Stalker said:

If the wires are fooked it usually throws a open/short circuit code, implausible is usually a sensor/pickup fault.

Yes I agree, absolutely 100%, which is why first I changed Hub / Reluctor, then Sensor but having changed both now, the absolute bastard fuck faced mothers twunt is still exactly the same.

The reluctor / trigger is in the Bearing/ Hub / Hub Carrier assembly, and I checked it visually matched the old one, and even if it was a tooth or 2 different it would still read a speed just not the right speed, but VAG Com Data shows no speed at all :(

So I worked until 9pm last night, printed Wiring Diag, will get back to it in a while.

Also last night I checked the Pre Fuses on the Fezza, no dice, 20 million Fault Codes, still no power to Diag Socket, everything else, like HVAC Lights Alarm Horn Washers Wipers etc work fine etc. Cleared all the Codes out, Printed Internal Fuse / Relay assignments, will get a global read and clear then read later today.

Pats light is behaving normally, C/L / Alarm is working.

Finally, I also stripped out the Seat and Carpet up on the other pile of poo and found wet under Drivers side Carpet and a fuct Side Impact Sensor, so will be ordering one of they in a whiley and clearing all the leaves and crap out of the Drains !!

And now we have a Skoda Roomster 09 plate with 3 different problems just dropped off .................

So looks like my SLK's upgrade work will not get finished this weekend either, it will have to wait patiently until next weekend :(

It is my Birthday next weekend so I will be definitely finishing the SLK Sat and Sun, as well as a Curry and Beer with Mel.

This is the first time in a long while I will have worked 2 weekends on the trot, normally it is reserved for doing any jobs on our personal to do list, and pub Sunday pm ......................

On the flip side the takings for Feb will be excellent so that I guess is why I actually do all this shite :D

30 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Yes I agree, absolutely 100%, which is why first I changed Hub / Reluctor, then Sensor but having changed both now, the absolute bastard fuck faced mothers twunt is still exactly the same.

The reluctor / trigger is in the Bearing/ Hub / Hub Carrier assembly, and I checked it visually matched the old one, and even if it was a tooth or 2 different it would still read a speed just not the right speed, but VAG Com Data shows no speed at all :(

Unless the wires are fused together... does the code not clear? Or does it clear and return upon driving?

Unless the wires are fused together... does the code not clear? Or does it clear and return upon driving?

Its not wiring, I'm seeing at module plug all 4 sensors, and a wave pattern when the wheels are spun, this has Bosch ABS 5.7 module, IIRC these modules develop a fault and keep reporting a sensor ......................

I will look up the info later, it's now parked up while I am dealing with the Skoda Roomster right now, and on to the Fezza no startee after Coffee break ;)

Decision is made, I'm doing my SLK this weekend, fuck the Customers work, they can wait and carry on next week, not too much booked for next week so I'll take any new bookings for the week after.

The Skud Roomster was an easy diagnosis, fluid low in steering pump, it has a weepy Rack, and it's 2 leccy front windows is likely the Drivers Motor Module, I've checked the Wires and Switches which are good, so she can take it away now for an hours labour and a bit of fluid and bring it back in a couple of weeks for the repairs. I've filled up the steering pump for now and normal steering is resumed, it's not pissing out just a hangy drip out of each rack boot ;) 

Sold the Citroen Berlingo Desire this morning, had an old fella on it last week, but he didn't show, he came in this morning, got his Fridays mixed up bless him, (he really shouldn't be driving now lol), the Citroen will probably out live him ;) ...............

So Kerching that ones gone, have a couple of Mercs to send for prep next week at valeter-mabobs place ;)

29 minutes ago, tradex said:

That vagbox that won't communicate.....original stereo? 

Errrrrm, confusion "darn sarf" among the confusion up here in the "norwest" :lol: That VAGbox is actually a Beemer ;)

It's a 2013 BMW X5 that has no comms ;) That's on back burner right now, guy is away until Wednesday and had EMail saying no rush, he's a very good mate and selling it when done anyway, so I'll get on that after weekend, I might even make him an offer as is once I KNOW whassup wi' it, I'll sell it easy round here :D

does the code not clear? Or does it clear and return upon driving?

Light is not on upon start up, then once yopu hit about 10kph on it comes, every time, switch off, light off, then as soon as it hits 10kph lights on again, repeat repeat repeat ;)

EDIT *switch off then restart and light is off every time 

16 hours ago, Stalker said:

Here we go, knew I'd heard of this at some point in the dim and distant, last time it was a Range Rover, but similar Bosch System ...............

https://www.sinspeed.co.uk/volkswagen-bosch-5-7-abs-esp-pump-module-problems/

The Rangey L322 one had to be recoded to it's VIN, anyone know if that's the case on the Vee dubs ??, I'll go do some digging, the Fezza is in the building, another Coffee break now whilst I invoice the Skud Roomster ;)

Just now, tradex said:

Oops, my bad:wub:

LOL, I'm not surprised your confused . com so am I right now, it's just manic here ................

OK so the Passat needs ABS Module, which screws on side of the Pump, just like the Rangey one did, yep it needs Coding but that's no problem with VAG Com, and thankfully the sticker is still in the boot by spare wheel to get the Brake PR Code :)

So I buy a good used ABS Pump etc off ebay, fucking twat has just emailed me, "they've sold that one can they have the Part number", so now instead of getting the bastard thing on Tuesday christ alone knows when I will,  because they have now gone home. Have found another with correct p/n, think I might just buy that and tell the other twunts to refund me :(

Done nothing to Fezza all arvo due to phone, banking, enquiries, road tests etc etc ho hum !!

Skoda going home in a minute, coming back in 2 weeks for a new rack and window motor module, parts ordered :)

Fezza is gonna get 1 hour in morning then I'm getting my SLK in to finish off the Android Install, Active Sub Wooofer, and a loom for the Heated Seats as I retro fitted leather heated seats before crimble but wiring for the heaters was not present, this needs most of the interior and lower dashes out to remove carpets and run the wiring loom to fuse box and switch panel then down to the Seats ;)

I've had enough of customers heaps of un maintained shit for this week :lol:

All's well that has almost ended well, 

The Fiesta is now running, 2 Blown 15A fuses and a dead Fuel Pump Relay, but ............... Just 2 Codes left, P1632 and P0620, which are Smart Charging System Codes, Battery Light is on all the time, and it isn't Charging, it has had a new Rebuilt Alternator, there is still no Power at Diagnostic Port and the Audio doesn't power up but my Diag Machine communicates with everything on it's own Battery Power, I'm just mentioning all that in case any of you have had this before ;););) ........................

I will have to dig at that next week now, but aside from that the old Fezza is driving fine :) 

The Alternator was the original fault, I think the inept fiddlings of its spotty owner was what caused the blown Fuses and maybe the fuel pump relay / non start issues.

Last Ford I worked on had a Carburettor (lol not really, but I don't see that many with awkward faults these days).

I've done all the googling without much info, although I will be checking the Wiring Harness for Chafing by the Manifold next week ;)

SLK is now in the building, and isn't going out until the interior is all back together. I have a couple of hours on it now, then all tomorrow and most of Monday ;)

Passat is now awaiting ABS Module.

Skoda and Golf fixed for now and gone, tranquility is returning in the NW and the Sun is shining :)

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

The Fiesta is now running, 2 Blown 15A fuses and a dead Fuel Pump Relay, but ............... Just 2 Codes left, P1632 and P0620, which are Smart Charging System Codes, Battery Light is on all the time, and it isn't Charging, it has had a new Rebuilt Alternator, there is still no Power at Diagnostic Port and the Audio doesn't power up but my Diag Machine communicates with everything on it's own Battery Power, I'm just mentioning all that in case any of you have had this before ;););) ........................

I could write a book on these bastard alternator faults.... most of it would say "check the three wires right the way back to the ECU" (Im sure your already aware of this!

Although when the wiring is faulty the alternator should still charge at 13.8v... so that should rule the wiring out? 

On 15/02/2019 at 5:20 PM, Dave2302 said:

OK so the Passat needs ABS Module, which screws on side of the Pump, just like the Rangey one did, yep it needs Coding but that's no problem with VAG Com, and thankfully the sticker is still in the boot by spare wheel to get the Brake PR Code :)

Just copy and paste the coding from the old unit if its still talking ok.

Edited by Stalker

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

I could write a book on these bastard alternator faults.... most of it would say "check the three wires right the way back to the ECU" (Im sure your already aware of this!

Just copy and paste the coding from the old unit if its still talking ok.

Thanks for confirming I'm on the right track with both, I've already printed the Wiring Diagram and Pin Outs for the 3 Wires, 2 go to ECU and one goes to the 3 amp Fuse in the Fuzz Box, which did get a visual check last night, but I'll check it with a lamp before tearing into the other 2 wires from Alt to PCM ;) 

Yeah, the VW's ABS Coding is already written down, will just type in the same number, but I'll still have to work out the access code from that sticker in the boot won't I ??

I'll soon work it out once the unit arrives :D :D :D 

Well after a horrendous and very busy week of shitters, da SLK is back in da building.

Close of play Seats are out, Console and under Dash Trims etc all out, and the Fuse Box is all in bits.

It has until Monday night in da Workshop, will get as much done as I can .......................

Heated Seat Sub Loom has to go from Fuse Box to Right Seat, and then across back of Heater with Main Loom, then to Switch Panel and Earth Point, and then on to Left Seat !!

Amplifier Power Lead, Earth and Wake Up have all got to go from Fusebox and H/U to Rear of Console area, above which will be mounted the Active Sub tango_face_grin.png

Once that is done, if time allows, then the GPS Antenna needs final mounting, I think it will be under the Dash Top Panel on top of the HVAC box tango_face_wink.png

The Hands Free Mic also needs final mounting, this will be mounted in the OEM location in the Interior Dome Light, (in actual fact I am going to see if the H/U likes the original MB Mic first), the MB wiring needs splicing into the special H/Free Mic Plug that came with the ERISIN H/U.

Finally re fit all parts previously removed !!

Be good to get back driving it again all done and dusted :)

Will report back how it's all progressing smile.gif

Edited by Dave2302

On 16/02/2019 at 4:51 PM, Stalker said:

Although when the wiring is faulty the alternator should still charge at 13.8v... so that should rule the wiring out? 

Yep 3 wires, checked the 3 amp fuse, fine solid power in and out, belled the Blue and Grey between Alternator and ECU fine, checked for 12V on Orange / Yellow, nada zip no supply, so rather than spend hours and hours stripping back the loom and repairing it on an old shitter that will probably be in a ditch next week, (young lads first car), I just ran a separate wire to that terminal, 12V now present, Alternator now charging, cleared codes, road tested job's a good 'un, they collecting it in the morning ;) 

Repair is invisible to all but the very knowledgeable :D

Still waiting on ABS Module for VW, hopefully tomorrow :)

Got a whole load done on my SLK, not much more to do, weekend should see it finished and then I'll be using it all year until phase 2 winter 2019 :D ....................

A 5.0 litre M113 V8 :lol:

On 19/02/2019 at 7:15 PM, Dave2302 said:

Yep 3 wires, checked the 3 amp fuse, fine solid power in and out, belled the Blue and Grey between Alternator and ECU fine, checked for 12V on Orange / Yellow, nada zip no supply, so rather than spend hours and hours stripping back the loom and repairing it on an old shitter that will probably be in a ditch next week, (young lads first car), I just ran a separate wire to that terminal, 12V now present, Alternator now charging, cleared codes, road tested job's a good 'un, they collecting it in the morning ;) 

Repair is invisible to all but the very knowledgeable :D

Still waiting on ABS Module for VW, hopefully tomorrow :)

Got a whole load done on my SLK, not much more to do, weekend should see it finished and then I'll be using it all year until phase 2 winter 2019 :D ....................

Did you sort that VW out Dave? 

Hi V busy right now, not here much, but yes and no, it's the wrong sensor I was supplied I'm pretty sure despite Factor twat insisting it's the correct sensor.

I jumper wired the left rear to the right rear plug, spun left wheel and ABS Module is seeing right rear wheel speed, have since had 2 more sensors supplied that are wrong, waiting to be supplied the correct one :( 

The X5 was indeed a FUBAR Compressor, fitted a new one, all good and gone now ;) Communmication Error was bad wire that had "come adrift" at back of diag socket !!

On 19/02/2019 at 7:15 PM, Dave2302 said:

Fancy adding four more cylinders Dave??

https://www.facebook.com/GTBOARD/videos/362673994480065/

:lol::lol::lol: 

14 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Hi V busy right now, not here much, but yes and no, it's the wrong sensor I was supplied I'm pretty sure despite Factor twat insisting it's the correct sensor.

I jumper wired the left rear to the right rear plug, spun left wheel and ABS Module is seeing right rear wheel speed, have since had 2 more sensors supplied that are wrong, waiting to be supplied the correct one :( 

The X5 was indeed a FUBAR Compressor, fitted a new one, all good and gone now ;) Communmication Error was bad wire that had "come adrift" at back of diag socket !!

:rolleyes: As if the job aint hard enough without wrong parts!

10 hours ago, Zest said:

Fancy adding four more cylinders Dave??

https://www.facebook.com/GTBOARD/videos/362673994480065/

:lol::lol::lol: 

Hi, that's awesome, I've not seen that one, it is a later model though, they have more room in Engine bay ;)

Mine is the original R170, the biggest that will go in it without major major surgery is an M113 V8, but that will do nicely on my Car, it's already pretty damn quick with the M112 V6 ;)

9 minutes ago, Stalker said:

:rolleyes: As if the job aint hard enough without wrong parts!

Yeah, tell me about it, someone mentioned early on in this thread that there were 2 different sensors, look identical ............... At that point I asked my Factors, (should have known better), and they assured me that it was the correct part :(

16 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Yeah, tell me about it, someone mentioned early on in this thread that there were 2 different sensors, look identical ............... At that point I asked my Factors, (should have known better), and they assured me that it was the correct part :(

does your factor not send both out?

oh you must have euro:D