Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

2013 X5 Proberlermo :(

31 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Hi, that's awesome, I've not seen that one, it is a later model though, they have more room in Engine bay ;)

Mine is the original R170, the biggest that will go in it without major major surgery is an M113 V8, but that will do nicely on my Car, it's already pretty damn quick with the M112 V6 ;)

Yeah, tell me about it, someone mentioned early on in this thread that there were 2 different sensors, look identical ............... At that point I asked my Factors, (should have known better), and they assured me that it was the correct part :(

14 minutes ago, boring dave said:

does your factor not send both out?

oh you must have euro:D

I use TPS for ABS sensors on VAG cars now, after going th long way around, Most of the time they are an extra £5.

Yeah but Nah but ;)

On this one they only had the one type, but yes, if there's a choice they send all the choices they have ;)

Used HMP first, then when I knew it was wrong and they didn't have the right one I got one from Euro, that too was the wrong one, then had one posted, now I have 3 wrong ones and waiting for the correct one to arrive via Postman Pat ;)

Now got a 2011 V8 Diesel Rangey Rover in with an intermittent KG Starting issue .............. :rolleyes:

And I've got my head in depth inside my Project Mercedes R170 and Android H/U Electronics modifying micro circuit MB Steering Wheel Buttons to work the Android H/U and also decided to retro fit Paddle Shifters while I'm at it :D

Just double check the bearing/tone ring. You have changed that too.... Implausible is the code they throw when they delaminate on the bearing type ones.

1 minute ago, Stalker said:

I use TPS for ABS sensors on VAG cars now, after going th long way around, Most of the time they are an extra £5.

I actually use OEM on Land Rovers now, had so much grief, I'm probably going to do the same with all Bosch ABS Sensors in future, I've wasted so much time with this fucker now !!

Well fuck me backwards with a broomstick, it isn't the sensor, it's now down to the (already replaced) wheel bearing, cos I fished the old bearing out from the bin and stuck the new sensor in it, spun it by hand and voila !! Wheel Speed registering in Data, stick new sensor in the bearing on the Car and no speed signal, bearing sizes, trigger etc all looks identical, so it's either a duff bearing or there is 2 different ones ................

According to Factors there is only one listed, they are sending me another on first Van, so I will do the hold it in hand and spin it test before fitting it :(

Give me a fuckin' Mercedes any day over this VAG shit, that's all it is pure 100% shit !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave2302 said:

Well fuck me backwards with a broomstick, it isn't the sensor, it's now down to the (already replaced) wheel bearing, cos I fished the old bearing out from the bin and stuck the new sensor in it, spun it by hand and voila !! Wheel Speed registering in Data, stick new sensor in the bearing on the Car and no speed signal, bearing sizes, trigger etc all looks identical, so it's either a duff bearing or there is 2 different ones ................

According to Factors there is only one listed, they are sending me another on first Van, so I will do the hold it in hand and spin it test before fitting it :(

Give me a fuckin' Mercedes any day over this VAG shit, that's all it is pure 100% shit !!

Dave, truly an epic, masterclass diagnosis here... I wish you were closer to me, I'd be happy funding your Merc refit via getting my vehicles PDI/fettled at your place... 

Total result here, I doubt an MD would have done so much to find the "root cause".. or even known where to fkn start.. computer sez noooo..

Looking forward to reading the invoice is generated and this thing is out the door..

Reading between the lines here the original fault was the wheel speed sensor, I got supplied the wrong one, still no speed on live data so I changed the bearing, still no speed signal ...............

Like I said both sensors and bearings look identical :(

In between this I made up a lead to connect the Left Sensor to right channel and by spinning left wheel i get speed at right channel, so that had narrowed it to sensor, or bearing ;)

2 more speed sensors arrived, one was the wrong one sent back, then the one on it now still shows no speed.

Now I try this sensor in the old bearing and get speed, so I'm going to just plug it into the latest bearing when it arrives tomorrow and spin by hand, before I even remove the bastard wheel !!

If I get speed data then I'll fit it, if not I'll probably swear a lot and see how many bearings the stealers list for the fucker !!

I can't charge the customer any extra for all this, but I've told the Factors I'm going to want more than just parts credit, I'll expect a few rechargeable lamps or somesuch at the very least !!

25 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I'll do you a swap, all of your VAG shit for all of my pointed star crap.... I don't like it when VAG cars go wrong, But i can fix em very easily :D

18 hours ago, Stalker said:

I'll do you a swap, all of your VAG shit for all of my pointed star crap.... I don't like it when VAG cars go wrong, But i can fix em very easily :D

Deal !! :lol::lol::lol:

OK then so the question, we know it must have something to do with the Wheel Bearing or it's trigger, so is there more than one type of wheel bearing or have I just got a wrong 'un................ I cannot see a measurable difference in the teeth on the tone wheel so we'll just have to see what happens when I get the new new bearing in the morning and spin it up !!

Just fitted a CV joint on a Citroen, local garage put a new driveshaft on it, guy drove off and the ABS Light came on, when he took it back they told him it had fuck all to do with them, anyway, it ends up at mine.

It's reading half wheel speed of all the others !! Yep, must be 3 types of them, cos I got sent 2 types, both were different, but luckily the one that was the same as the nearside was one of the 2 they sent, fitted it, cleared codes, road test that's fine now ;)

That Skoda with no leccy windows just arrived to have a Motor / Module in RF door, we'll see how much aggro that pile of old VAG Crap gives me tommoz, I've fucking well had enough for today ;)

Edited by Dave2302

Reading this Dave I remember OSF ABS warning with a Volvo AWD, DIaG showed OSF sensor, handing it over to my BMW/Volvo indi guys, after half a day the reported the sensor was likely to be the issue, but; experience told them the bearing can be bad too.. so they ordered both, would return any unused.. I was warned it may not be an immediate turnaround once these parts arrived, as experience had taught them across AWD, these bearings were "handed" and not all factors totally get this right when supplying said parts..

Mine turned out to be straight forward with just the ABS sensor needing renewing.. bearing was ok and the problems end there..

Wee dram out, feet up, match on!

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

4 hours ago, Stalker said:

OK then so the question, we know it must have something to do with the Wheel Bearing or it's trigger, so is there more than one type of wheel bearing or have I just got a wrong 'un................ I cannot see a measurable difference in the teeth on the tone wheel so we'll just have to see what happens when I get the new new bearing in the morning and spin it up !!

What car is it Dave? And Year? 

2003 Passat 3B3 .......................

Wheel Bearing arrived 6:00 am, plugged the sensor in the back, spun the Hub and lo and behold, I'm now seeing Wheel Speed on the right rear channel :rolleyes:

According to HMP there is only one Wheel Hub / Bearing assy listed, they have just sent me a replacement, so I'm guessing the first one they sent was dud !!

Will fit it later today, after working on another of VW finest crap, (Skoda Window Module / Motor) ;)

Then we'll hopefully be rid of those 2 horrible bastards, if the fat lady doesn't sing now on these 2 I think I'll just adjourn to the Pub :lol::lol::lol:

12 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

if the fat lady doesn't sing now on these 2 I think I'll just adjourn to the Pub :lol::lol::lol:

Win-Win

Right, I'm off to fix (hopefully) these 2 shitters, will report back later ;)

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

2003 Passat 3B3 .......................

Wheel Bearing arrived 6:00 am, plugged the sensor in the back, spun the Hub and lo and behold, I'm now seeing Wheel Speed on the right rear channel :rolleyes:

According to HMP there is only one Wheel Hub / Bearing assy listed, they have just sent me a replacement, so I'm guessing the first one they sent was dud !!

Will fit it later today, after working on another of VW finest crap, (Skoda Window Module / Motor) ;)

Then we'll hopefully be rid of those 2 horrible bastards, if the fat lady doesn't sing now on these 2 I think I'll just adjourn to the Pub :lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes:

I reckon if i added up all of the wasted time on parts and charged it out id be a rich man if i could bill for it.

35 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I reckon if i added up all of the wasted time on parts and charged it out id be a rich man if i could bill for it.

yes but just think of the learning curve you had by everything not fitting from the box:)

customer today booked his car in for full service no handbrake and an mot,he dropped it off at 8.30 and said i will go to the cafe and be back in an hour to collect:huh:

priceless:D

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Couldn't agree more, lol if I had all the hours back that I have haemorrhaged on this shitty old Passat plus 1 or 2 of the parts that I can't get refunded now I'd be going away for a week all expenses paid :rolleyes: 

40 minutes ago, boring dave said:

yes but just think of the learning curve you had by everything not fitting from the box:)

customer today booked his car in for full service no handbrake and an mot,he dropped it off at 8.30 and said i will go to the cafe and be back in an hour to collect:huh:

priceless:D

At least I don't get twats like that, my customers know and accept it takes as long as it takes, it's me that has to chese them up to come and get their Cars, lol, I've got 3 outside that are waiting to collect, have phoned and left  messages etc ;)

Well ..................................

One of the Fat Tarts has sung .......................... Passat was left here on 30th Jan, now ready to go home, yup either a fault or wrong wheel bearing, I stood all 3 (old, new that doesn't work, and new that does work) on the bench, and fucked if I can see any difference :( 

But, yeah fitted the new Hub / Bearing assy that arrived this morning and its sorted.

Skoda ................ Stripped door, wrong Motor / Module ................

According to Skoda Stealer the part number they gave me is correct for the VIN of this Car ................ Well, the lady bought it new from Skoda Inverness, and the Car hasn't been modified so why does the Part Number they gave me translate to a totally different Part that doesn't fit then ??

Fuck this, the nuts of it is this, she can take it away, no charge !! If she wants to go to VAG and buy a Motor / Module new, and supply me with it I'll do it, and if it's wrong one again she can pay me the time taken up, if not it / she can go elsewhere.

I am seriously considering putting up a sign, I will mull it over this weekend .................

"Absolutely No VAG Vehicles will be worked on in this Workshop" 

As far as I can remember over 43 odd years working on all sorts of Vehicles, the only fucking shit that has ever given me grief and ends up costing me money or time, (= money), is VAG Crap.

Hitler knew when he was gonna lose the War, so he invented VW just to get his own back on us all :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd simply rather go out for the days than work on the junk. 

OK, well the dust has settled, mulling and decisions made over a Curry and a couple of Beers with Mel last night :) 

As a semi retired old git, the sole purpose of this business is to provide a locally unavailable good service to local folks, who's only other option is to do at least a 120 mile round trip to Inverness Dealerships, normally twice if it's gonna take more than a couple of hours, and also to fund our luxuries and my MB obsession project Cars :lol:

I don't have many regular Customers with VAG junk, probably around 8.

The Passat has gone home, guy well happy, he paid for all parts which stayed fitted to his Car, plus an extra 1 hour to fit the Wheel Bearing / Hub assy which wasn't on his original guesstimate, thankfully there was much other MOT work, so it was a big bill with plenty earned on the other aspects of the whole job !!  Oh, and he also gave me a £20 drink tip when he settled up yesterday to boot :)

I have swallowed the cost of a few hours wasted time, (probably around half a day or so in odd hours here and there between other jobs, I don't want to look back and add all that up :lol:

Plus I have one Airbag Crash Sensor, identical part number but didn't work 'cos VW changed the internal and not changeable programming but retained the P/N :rolleyes: Also I have a good used ABS Module to stash away and bin in a year or 2 or stick both on Fleabay, and I've returned 1 ABS Sensor that was wrong to ECP for a Credit, plus returned another wrong ABS Sensor and the wheel Bearing / Hub that wouldn't work has gone back to my regular Factors for credit.

Although they don't usually pay labour, they have agreed to a goodwill gesture that I suggested for my own peace of mind mental attitude to it all ...............

2 Rechargeable decent Ring Hand Lamps which would have cost me around £80, (so cost them about half that), so all in all apart from a whole bunch of swearing, brain fry and stress it could have been a lot worse ...............

Especially if it were a "darn sarf" Customer who had got the hump after a couple of weeks, (as they do), and just said "oh fuck it you keep the bloody Car" lol !!

I would not have been able to retail it and get back my money, nor would I want to retail a tidy but 03 Passat Estate with moonshot mileage :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So, the Postie Lady wanted to pay me for time and wrong parts on her un fixed Skoda's front leccy Windows ..................

I refused this, car is not yet fixed !! I always fix 'em in the end !!

We sat down with a coffee and I explained it to her that VAG products are always the ones that give me this sort of grief, and if she wants to phone Skoda Dealer and sort out the part, she can bring it in, I'll strip the Door again and fit the part, if it's incorrect again she can pay me the time spent and go do all the time consuming phone calls, sending back parts etc until we get the correct part and fix it.

All present and any future VAG Customers will get a coffee and the same quiet explanation, and terms of engagement ;)

OK so I lose a little "mark up" on a few parts, but on this VAG shite the job will just take a percentage longer in labour hours if you get my drift ;) 

1)   They then have the choice, if they don't like it, go elsewhere and have all the messin' :D

2)   I retain my semi sanity :D

VAG products are now officially "Special Needs" in my book, shoulda done it years ago :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave2302