Sign in to follow this  
James01

Another odd one!

Hi guys,

we seem to have a couple of odd faults with cars recently.

We have an Octavia VRS 2.0 tfsi which after getting up to temperature then left to idle for a couple of minutes throws up a EPC, EML and light bulb warning then starts to misfire. If you turn it off and on again car runs fine.

It has been plugged in and shows a cylinder 2 misfire but have changed around coil, plug and new injector but still shows same cylinder fault. Car drives really well just this odd fault when left to idle.

Any VW experts come across this before? 

Thanks in advance.

Could be ECU fault had it on a car once. Those engines are crap though. 

What is VAG Com saying ?? If the lights on something will be stored ;)

Have you done a compression check?

These cars also need a decoke every 40k. 

11 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

PCV valve I think it’s called. 

Erratic idle is usually PCV valve on this engine. Very common on the MK5 GTI's we used to sell loads of and fit a lot of these. I used to buy them cheap from Auction with this fault and a £20 PCV valve did the trick. Just google'd it for a memory re fresh and it sounds very similar. I would give it a try as first port of call. 

Hi Rory thanks looking online it looks like it could be this fingers crossed as it seems to throw up misfire codes and other similar symptoms when faulty. Looks like a cheap easy fix if so! 

1 hour ago, James01 said:

Hi Rory thanks looking online it looks like it could be this fingers crossed as it seems to throw up misfire codes and other similar symptoms when faulty. Looks like a cheap easy fix if so! 

Its highly likely fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Erratic idle is usually PCV valve on this engine. Very common on the MK5 GTI's we used to sell loads of and fit a lot of these. I used to buy them cheap from Auction with this fault and a £20 PCV valve did the trick. Just google'd it for a memory re fresh and it sounds very similar. I would give it a try as first port of call. 

Yup I've had this twice on TFSI engines that threw up fault codes, if you've got the car, turn it on and see how hard it is to remove the oil cap. If it's really difficult it's likely to be the pcv.