Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

High oil usage - Audi 1.8 tfsi petrol

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

I am of the same doom and gloom view and these are on my don't buy list to.

I extend this to all German products where possible, so I'm probably Captain Doom & Gloom ;0) especially diesel german and most especially VW/Audi group stuff. 

If they come in PX they get thoroughly inspected and I only want them behind book.  I don't mind the odd one and take a flyer occasionally if petrol & things like a BMW petrol cab, SLK or Merc estate if I have to (but still a headache)

The number of screamers and doom/recon/warranty work has considerably decreased since this decision a couple of years ago. Although the number of sales has fell slightly but I don't mind and that may be more a pattern across the board at most places as well as not advertising on Autoraper. It seems to me that every other issue I hear on here is German car related.   I've said it before, but it's not NECESSARILY that the cars are just crap as a five year old and more product, but the people that buy them can't really afford them and certainly don't always service them correctly.

15 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I'd be cutting peoples grass or cleaning bloody windows by now

Just wait for the Grass Cutting Regulations 2021 and the Window Cleaning Norms, Standards and Clarity Rules 2022 :-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Just wait for the Grass Cutting Regulations 2021 and the Window Cleaning Norms, Standards and Clarity Rules 2022 :-)

Ha.  Brilliant.  "That grass you cut, I'm not happy as it now has grown back quicker than is reasonable and I demand you cut it again free of charge"

8 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I've said it before, but it's not NECESSARILY that the cars are just crap as a five year old and more product, but the people that buy them can't really afford them and certainly don't always service them correctly.

Never a truer word spoken, the oldest MB on our little fleet is 2002, done 190 k miles and I'd get in it and drive to Kent and back anytime, no proberlemo !!

Yeh, like all my Cars it's had dough spent, especially when I first buy 'em but then they return years of stellar service !!

Get on top of them and stay on top :) Sadly the billies don't :(

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

Ha.  Brilliant.  "That grass you cut, I'm not happy as it now has grown back quicker than is reasonable and I demand you cut it again free of charge"

Big Big :lol: again never a truer word spoken ;)

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Coffee again, second time I've cleaned this screen today :D

59 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Sure. But most dealers would sleep better if they didn’t know: 

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 can be used instead of CRA by a customer to take a dealer to court for breach of conract. This can be for faults found up to 6 years post sale. The onus is on that consumer to prove that the fault WAS present at the point of sale. Normally very difficult but not for well known common faults which usually start soon after manufacture. 

Not sure it's a good idea to publish this on a public, open forum..... :blink:

And yes I'm aware it's readily available on the internet before you say it! :P We just don't need to publish it further.....

/\ /\ /\ Yeah, could well have opened a Can of the proverbial there :o

Who's gonna be the first to get the call ................

"Since I bought that £200 Skoda off you 5 and a half years ago .............................. "

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

It sounds to me like he was, especially about eating the sim card. The new nano sims taste awful.

Easy to swallow though, the original credit card sized sims used to get stuck

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

Not sure it's a good idea to publish this on a public, open forum..... :blink:

And yes I'm aware it's readily available on the internet before you say it! :P We just don't need to publish it further.....

Why?

There's already one dealer on here (well, part dealer, full time mechanic god, Sir Dave of Scotland) who was unaware of the facts so if a couple of other dealers on here get educated it can't be a bad thing. If I know about it and I'm a proverbial pup, everyone should know it. 

And yes, as you have pointed out, trying to keep things "secret" from the entire internet is a futile task. In any case, I think people should come on here and see that most of us do the job right, know what we're talking about etc. It inspires consumer confidence in the industry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EPV said:

It inspires consumer confidence in the industry.

And for those lacking it it gives 6 years of (near) peace and mind if they do muster the confidence to buy :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Why?

There's already one dealer on here (well, part dealer, full time mechanic god, Sir Dave of Scotland) who was unaware of the facts so if a couple of other dealers on here get educated it can't be a bad thing. If I know about it and I'm a proverbial pup, everyone should know it. 

And yes, as you have pointed out, trying to keep things "secret" from the entire internet is a futile task. In any case, I think people should come on here and see that most of us do the job right, know what we're talking about etc. It inspires consumer confidence in the industry.

:rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Have you ever been to USA and bought a used car off a lot ? We did that and drove across states, real eye opener as to the shit they sell, caveat emptor !!

Its interesting the lengths they have to go to obtaining a dealer licence, only to then happily sell old crap. There's a few guys on youtube buying old shit from Copart and supplying hillbilly side-of-the-road dealer (with a dealer licence) with his stock? Its surprises me that in such a litigious country that you can get away with that?

Grant, i had a 2009 A5 coupe with exactly this problem, sold vehicle only for it to come back with customer saying oil light kept coming on along with the message etc, quick look online and i found the common issue with this engine, very well known and watchdog got involved too i believe, Audi weren't helping people before that point. Took it to my local MD who drained oil, filled with correct amount and sent me on my way, couple of hundred miles later light was back on, failed the oil consumption test with Audi and replacement engine had to be fitted, around 90% was covered by Audi themselves and i had to stump up around £1400 i think, it was like pulling teeth trying to get to that stage though as they tried to wriggle out due to some non dealer history later on in the cars life, took a bit of stern arguing on my behalf in order to get the matter sorted. Would never ever touch one again with all the hassle and stress it caused me. 

Generally including warranty; I believe the service history does not need to have been performed by a main dealer, jusy serviced by a bonefide workshop to manufacturers giuidelines.

Dreadful engines, not for me at the lower end of the market cos they’re usually on their last legs when I’m looking at them.

Even if they aren’t burning oil for fun then I’ve seen turbos failing due to oil pumps ‘on half power’, turbos getting changed & failing soon again. Tbh it’s better if the oil pump totally knackers then at least you know what you’re dealing with.