Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

BMW 116 1.6I judder / hesitant when cold.....

Just picked up a low mileage BMW 116 1.6i on a 56 plate. On the way back from the block it was a bit hesitant when cold, but fine once warmed up. I'll get my mechanic to check it over but it's away at the moment having some paintwork.

No warning lights are coming on, I've done the usual google search which suggests some likely culprits, coils, plugs, cam / crank sensor, just wondered if any of you on here have had a few of these and know the common issues / fixes.

I appreciate problems can't be diagnosed over the internet, and will get my guy do read the codes, just looking for a head start if poss. 

Any advice / experience much appreciated!

Cheers

I would read fault codes first but in this case will also take out and clean the Vanos solenoids, less than 10-15 minute job. They get blocked with dirt from the oil. 

On this engine it could also be a blocked oil pick up strainer in the sump which when the car warms frees itself for a bit and it runs better. Then when the oil drains back in the sump and stiffens, it blocks the strainer again. After a while the timing chain will break due to poor lubrication.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I would read fault codes first but in this case will also take out and clean the Vanos solenoids, less than 10-15 minute job. They get blocked with dirt from the oil. 

On this engine it could also be a blocked oil pick up strainer in the sump which when the car warms frees itself for a bit and it runs better. Then when the oil drains back in the sump and stiffens, it blocks the strainer again. After a while the timing chain will break due to poor lubrication.

Thanks for that, will get the codes read of course. I usually avoid these.....

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

have you put the airfilter pickup  to the winter setting:lol:

That was the first thing I tried.... ;)

3 hours ago, boring dave said:

Love it :)

On 11/01/2019 at 7:44 PM, Grantlfc81 said:

Timing is always to be checked in these. Good luck

Thanks, it turned out to be the plastic pipe that goes to the airflow meter wasn’t connected properly.

Connected it properly and hey presto, runs perfectly.

I do love a quick, easy and free fix!

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 10:58 AM, boring dave said:

Dave.... you were nearly correct!