jeff80

Can I use UK trade plates abroad?

5 minutes ago, jeff80 said:

I'm looking to deliver a vehicle to Spain on UK trade plates.... Is this legal?

To the ferry or Chunnel yes. 

Beyond that there is no need to have UK road tax so no need for the plates. 

Really? So all I need is insurance? Or is there any other tax I need to pay when driving a UK vehicle in France and/or Spain?

3 minutes ago, jeff80 said:

Or is there any other tax I need to pay when driving a UK vehicle in France and/or Spain?

Other than the HUGE motorway tolls on the French and Spanish motorways? NO

Be a bit caerfull uk registered cars used in spain do need to be taxed and Motd as the spanish police do have direct access to DVLA as they have been stoping many uk registered cars lately and fining or impounding the cars, there is a good website called N322 which is run by the spanish police giving good motoring advice, car logistics are a lot different to here in the UK.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beechwood said:

Be a bit caerfull uk registered cars used in spain do need to be taxed and Motd as the spanish police do have direct access to DVLA as they have been stoping many uk registered cars lately and fining or impounding the cars, there is a good website called N322 which is run by the spanish police giving good motoring advice, car logistics are a lot different to here in the UK.

yes

good advice

you may have trade insurance also and this is unlikely to cover you abroad, I run my own car on my policy and it was not  covered when i took it  over seas ( obviously took  out cover)

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

you may have trade insurance also and this is unlikely to cover you abroad

Mine does, in EU member states plus a couple of others. Obviously this will be different post Brexit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beechwood said:

I'd agree for the MOT but are you sure it should be taxed?

there is some  EU treaty where they cooperate and share information across member states, So motoring offences are traced back to you even if you are in France Germany Italy ect..................of course after brexit  bla bla bla bla

Edited by Blenheim Car Sales

12 minutes ago, Kes said:

I'd agree for the MOT but are you sure it should be taxed?

yes because you are supposed to be visiting only

Wasn't the idea of computerising mot to align with other eu member states. I seem to remember reading about being able to renew mot whatever country you were in. But the idea ran out if steam. Obvs not going to happen now? 

I’ve always been under the impression that most eu countries have an equivalent to ours as far as ‘car tax’ and MOT. I’m pretty certain France have their own car tax or as they call it ‘Florette’. Germany, Italy, Spain etc would be idiots to miss out on a “nice little earner” too. The big question is how they would deal with you at the roadside?

On 2/10/2020 at 4:01 PM, Rob Howells said:

Do I just need insurance to bring car back from Italy ?

Where the car is registred? 

Hello everybody,

I came across this topic. Im from the Dutch traffic police. We dont allow trader plates besides the one from Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. If you drive in the Netherlands with the trader plate from the UK we will confiscate the plates and the car. The fine will be for the first offence €400,-.

We have acces to the DVLA consearning TAX and MOT. 

We need a definitive answer from the expert on all things motor trade, Mike Brewer? Who has spent half his life driving cars from all over Europe back to the UK without having to concern himself with compliance?

:lol:

Sorry for type mistakes:

The Raod Act in the Netherlands says the following:

Art 36: Every vehicle who uses the public road needs to have a license plate issued by the Road Traffic Service, RDW.

But we have a acception beceause we allow foreign cars. 

Art 37: The foreign vehicle has to be registered to a person or a company in the country of origen. Amd has to comply to the Vienna Confention. 

Art 35 of the Vienna Confention says that the car has to be registered. 

Because in the Netherlands it is mandatory that the car and license plate is registered and belong together the trader plate of the UK is not valid. The Netherlands doesnt have an agreememt of some kind like they have with Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. 

There for  a penalty is issued and the car and plates are confiscated. 

11 minutes ago, metcars said:

We need a definitive answer from the expert on all things motor trade, Mike Brewer? Who has spent half his life driving cars from all over Europe back to the UK without having to concern himself with compliance?

:lol:

He can come by. Same he is off Dutch TV

Anyone got any plans on driving a UK trade car through Holland in the coming weeks?

2 hours ago, TommyDutchPolice said:

Sorry for type mistakes:

The Raod Act in the Netherlands says the following:

Art 36: Every vehicle who uses the public road needs to have a license plate issued by the Road Traffic Service, RDW.

But we have a acception beceause we allow foreign cars. 

Art 37: The foreign vehicle has to be registered to a person or a company in the country of origen. Amd has to comply to the Vienna Confention. 

Art 35 of the Vienna Confention says that the car has to be registered. 

Because in the Netherlands it is mandatory that the car and license plate is registered and belong together the trader plate of the UK is not valid. The Netherlands doesnt have an agreememt of some kind like they have with Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. 

There for  a penalty is issued and the car and plates are confiscated. 

He can come by. Same he is off Dutch TV

Hello Tommy. Thanks for your input. It was quite clear that UK trade plates in the format they are can not be used abroad. But what about road tax? Should the vehicle really be taxed? Thanks. Kes.

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Anyone got any plans on driving a UK trade car through Holland in the coming weeks?

Do you want me to fetch you back some weed?

2 hours ago, metcars said:

Do you want me to fetch you back some weed?

No thank you. The last time I tried that stuff I was playing Johnny Big Balls, ordered the superskunk & had 4 or 5 puffs of it. The result was I couldn’t speak, started hallucinating & couldn’t move from the stool for about half an hour! I had been in Amsterdam for less than 90 minutes & two fellow gentlemen of the motor trade had to assist me back to my hotel room! What a state to find oneself in :lol:

F*** that stuff, I’ll stick to drink, thank you very much.

• Haha 1