Sign in to follow this  
Tanna

Refund

Hi,

customer wants a refund it's been three weeks and not allowing me to get the car checked. I did say get the car checked by mechanic but they are not prepared to do that either and just demanding a refund, do I have to refund the cost of the part exchange allowance too?

many thanks. 

Edited by Tanna

13 minutes ago, Tanna said:

Hi,

customer wants a refund it's been three weeks and not allowing me to get the car checked. I did say get the car checked by mechanic but they are not prepared to do that either and just demanding a refund, do I have to refund the cost of the part exchange allowance too?

many thanks. 

What are they claiming has gone wrong?

You still have your right to inspect the vehicle, I would not let them get someone to look at it....get control of the situation and get the car. Should it be a rejectable issue you have to refund in full and give them either their px back or the value you gave them for it. Even if it isn't rejectable I usually just give them their money back to be honest, not worth the chew some people!

You have to collect it, unless you have a return to base clause, and inspect it. If it is not a major issue then fix it and then they have no entitlement to a refund. Job done.

as said if its a saleable commodity just get it back refund and move on

you cant make an arse better ive given up tryin

46 minutes ago, boring dave said:

you cant make an arse better ive given up tryin

Preparation H works well :lol:

Only happened to me a few weeks back - a cheapy 308 1.6 HDi (surprise there) started a turbo whine an hour and a half in to the customers journey home.

I offered him the option to get it looked at and let me know the outcome before doing anything OR bring it back for a full refund. 

He chose to get it looked at then brought it back via recovery truck for a full refund due to oil "around the turbo" (can see the PCV valve to air pipe is leaky, but the turbo doesnt have any play and looks OK...)

In regards to the original post, what happens with the V5 in this case? (assuming it's been sent off?).

It's a diesel car customer claiming the car is giving loads of smoke possible turbo or piston according to them. When I got down there it was perfectly fine and I could not see a issue drove it back to base didn't see no issue the garage is going to give it a once over just in case. 

Where do I stand they are demanding a refund. They have done 1000 miles in the car also and stone chipped the freshly painted front bumper too. 

Edited by Tanna

15 minutes ago, Tanna said:

It's a diesel car customer claiming the car is giving loads of smoke possible turbo or piston according to them. When I got down there it was perfectly fine and I could not see a issue drove it back to base didn't see no issue the garage is going to give it a once over just in case. 

Where do I stand they are demanding a refund. 

youve got it back its all good

you do realise if you give them it back they will deliberately break something

a i said earlier you cant fix a broken arse

readvertise it 

put it down to experience

just make sure your refund shows when they had the car in case any nips turn up ie fill in a very long winded refund invoice

you know its for the best,no one likes refunds

Edited by boring dave
missed a t outttt
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tanna said:

Where do I stand they are demanding a refund. They have done 1000 miles in the car also and stone chipped the freshly painted front bumper too. 

If you want to fight it have your garage write a report and have an emissions test carried out on the car. Make your own video evidence aswell and tell them you've done that. Then tell them to collect their car as you don't refund for buyer's remorse.

19 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

If you want to fight it have your garage write a report and have an emissions test carried out on the car. Make your own video evidence aswell and tell them you've done that. Then tell them to collect their car as you don't refund for buyer's remorse.

This ^^^^^ 

Take control. Be polite, firm and fair. 

I wouldn't be rolling over on something like this.

An example currently ongoing with us Customer buys premium Audi Vehicle, takes it into local Audi garage after about 1500 miles for a recall. Free health check carried out :rolleyes:
Audi reckon this low mileage car with a clean MOT and no advisories needs £3500 worth of repair work. Namely tyres, brakes all round and an AC Service. 

Anyway tell customer come back into us and we will have a look should not be the case.Car turns up and everything on it is absolutely fine tyres they say need replacing are nearly new, front pads are brand new etc. Rear brake pads are the only item actually getting low and still have min 4/5k worst case scenario in them. 

The lovely trusting customer who bought from our reputable business then thinks this dealer is full of shit and takes it to another independent who agree with everything we say and only advise rear brakes will need changing in the not to distant future. 

Customer is wanting to reject the car and get a full refund.....:rolleyes: Certainly won't be caving in to this unreasonable demand. 

* car they bought has been faultless and pre Audi visit they were delighted* Lesson re learned to me. Check for any recalls and avoid customers going to main dealers like the plague 

22 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Check for any recalls and avoid customers going to main dealers like the plague 

I do that most of the times (any BMW these days has a couple of outstanding recalls including 2002-on e46s for airbags!!!).

On a related note: My doctor needed a very cheap car for the nanny to drive her kids to school. Bought a £600 Honda CR-V with around 120K miles from it's only private owner (her patient so a giveaway price!) with full Honda history by the same main dealer. Lovely looking thing. She used it for 2-3000 miles and come MOT time took it to that dealer local to her. They have looked after the car it's whole life, did the last service on it 3000 miles ago and still failed her on the MOT for some bushes AND found another £2400 of "recommended repairs". 

She was almost crying when she called me for advice. I personally went to collect the car with the MOT fail and took the folder with their service receipts (an inch thick) to show to the service advisor. £800 paid at the last service, £550 the service before etc etc so they knew the car well and presumably knew a lot of work would be authorised. Didn't know about the change of owner though.