Sign in to follow this  
steve01

Bad luck or good

Had a viewing arranged for this morning car had only been advertised for 20 minutes before customer contacted me to arrange viewing. I'm thinking great nice quick sale.

I've driven the car about 100 miles in the last week no problems, put £10 of petrol in it to make sure its good for the test drive and get the customer home also i don't like to sell with low petrol light on.

Twenty minutes before customer arrives it goes into limp mode and EML on, bollocks. turned it off and on a few times and all back to normal but decide not to risk it and call customer to apologise and tell him not to come. Its now booked in for Friday to get sorted.

Bad luck = no sale today

good luck = no angry customer 

Car is a zafira 1.8 sri 2008 (I know i should have steered clear but should be a nice drink in it for me hopefully), Im hoping a quick sensor swap and reset then all good

I'm always happy to learn from your experiences and will add my own to maybe help others so anybody else with similar tales to tell ?

I'm still relatively new to this but am loving it so far 

Definitely good luck I would say. Better to sort the issue before the customer lays their hands on it. Best now to scan the car to find out what the code is, repair as necessary, clear the code and test drive before confirming error code has not re-appeared. I would personally write the issue on the PDI check sheet and mark it as repaired.

Good luck with it.

I would’ve shown the car. 

Explained the EML and that that it is a minor issue but we have still booked it for Fri to get sorted. Offer to take a refundable deposit from the customer.

This way you know you have a buyer lined up and if it turns out it was something serious you kindly refund their deposit in full. 

To Motors: I wouldn’t write an issue in the pdi check as repaired. This guarantees you a valid comeback if the customer has the same or similar issue in the next six months (misfire bank one cylinder one as an example). 

• Like 1

I would have shown it, you just don’t know who your gunna get! it could be someone who knows a bit about cars and they could have shrugged it off assuming like yourself it’s probably a sensor or coil pack.

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Explained the EML and that that it is a minor issue but we have still booked it for Fri to get sorted. Offer to take a refundable deposit from the customer.

This way you know you have a buyer lined up and if it turns out it was something serious you kindly refund their deposit in full. 

To Motors: I wouldn’t write an issue in the pdi check as repaired. This guarantees you a valid comeback if the customer has the same or similar issue in the next six months (misfire bank one cylinder one as an example). 

Agree with all of that.

I wouldn't even mention the EML unless it comes on whilst they are there.  I would simply say, "the car is booked in for PDI on Friday and I will call you to arrange a suitable collection date."

At this stage, I would get the fault fixed or refund the deposit if not viable.  Mention the EML and you'll scare them off over something and nothing possibly.

A difficult call for the OP to make, but I think that it was such a quick response that He is thinking the same may happen again when he has it fixed. I have been in the position when you need the workshop to solve a problem quickly and it doesnt always go well. The customer will be watching for the EML for months and then accuse you of not fixing it if it comes on again weeks down the line. Of which there is every chance as its a zafira. They come on for fun on those! 

Horrid spot. Personally I would have called it off. I hate showing punters a less than perfect (relatively speaking) car. It plants seeds in their mind that need not be there. 

It’s not a drivers car either. It’s a family car likely driven by a woman a lot of the time and they don’t need reminding cars go wrong. I’d probably show an S3 or GTI in that state. 

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

It's a good valid point, however we have always marked down faults & repairs. We give customers copies of scans showing faults with dates and mileages as well as scans with dates & mileages with no faults after the repair with a copy of the PDI. I find customers like to see stuff which has been repaired rather than just a row of ticks saying everything is fine.  If this policy backfires on me in the future I may reconsider but for now it works well for us showing "repaired warts & all".

10 minutes ago, MOTORS said:

It's a good valid point, however we have always marked down faults & repairs. We give customers copies of scans showing faults with dates and mileages as well as scans with dates & mileages with no faults after the repair with a copy of the PDI. I find customers like to see stuff which has been repaired rather than just a row of ticks saying everything is fine.  If this policy backfires on me in the future I may reconsider but for now it works well for us showing "repaired warts & all".

I’ve often wondered along those lines. Some punters love to see receipts for loads of work because it gives them comfort that things have been replaced. Some punters don’t want to be reminded cars can go wrong. I don’t think you can be everything to everyone. 

9 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’ve often wondered along those lines. Some punters love to see receipts for loads of work because it gives them comfort that things have been replaced. Some punters don’t want to be reminded cars can go wrong. I don’t think you can be everything to everyone. 

Exactly - you can't be everything to everyone. It won't suit everybody. I've always had the policy of being open and honest but like Nick says listing repaired faults might backfire on me one day. If we get a car with lots of faults we trade it out rather than repair and risk it going bad.

I would rather be straight with customers and as a "doorstepper" I don't think taking a deposit and telling people to come back when its ready will work for me.

Last car I sold I told the customer the clutch was riding high and would need doing at some point but the car was priced accordingly. He as happy as car was cheaper than the competition   and he could have it done at mates rates.

I've sold 10 in the last 3 months, every customer gets a text 3 -4 weeks after sale to see if all ok and so far everybody is happy and I would like to keep it that way.

I'm starting to get a reputation and now have people coming to me and asking me to find them cars (If you've got a pink,convertible, sporty, auto for less than 6K  please give me a shout  )

I appreciate all the comments so far and the different viewpoints although the lack of newbie abuse is disappointing

• Like 1

Fuckin' Noobie :D:D:D

7 minutes ago, steve01 said:

although the lack of newbie abuse is disappointing

It may be prudent to Invest in a simple cheapish code reader off ebay, take a note of the code ie P0325 - Knock Sensor  or something like that,

So that you can clear it for the demo, then take it down to your garage to investigate.

Mind if the light wasnt on, id have done the demo no problems and then looked at it afterwards.

1 hour ago, steve01 said:

I've sold 10 in the last 3 months, every customer gets a text 3 -4 weeks after sale to see if all ok and so far everybody is happy and I would like to keep it that way.

Can't wait for an update on this customer care policy :lol:

There, a bit of abuse for you.

I once rang for some feedback to be left, ended up costing me a radiator and coolant (Warrantywise declined and the owner took it on the chin, so I ended up paying, she didn't ask, I offered to be fair).

3 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Mind if the light wasnt on, id have done the demo no problems and then looked at it afterwards.

Exactly what I was trying to say but you made it clearer.

2 hours ago, steve01 said:

I've sold 10 in the last 3 months, every customer gets a text 3 -4 weeks after sale to see if all ok

Never, never, never do that again. 

It's asking for trouble. Especially when the numbers start adding up to more than 3.33 a month. "Yes, everything is MOSTLY OK but we have a squeak from the front wheels when we turn to full lock, what WILL you do about this..." 

WE ARE NOT NEW CAR DEALERS, WE DON'T HAVE THE MANUFACTURER'S BACK UP AND WE DON'T NEED TO DO WHAT NEW CAR DEALERS DO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EPV said:

Horrid spot. Personally I would have called it off. I hate showing punters a less than perfect (relatively speaking) car. It plants seeds in their mind that need not be there. 

It’s not a drivers car either. It’s a family car likely driven by a woman a lot of the time and they don’t need reminding cars go wrong. I’d probably show an S3 or GTI in that state. 

Agree, ring and cancel with appologisng profusely about a personal matter that has just cropped up which has to be dealt with immediately, whatever you do don't use a fault or warning light as an excuse, you'll burst their bubble......

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

It's asking for trouble. Especially when the numbers start adding up to more than 3.33 a month. "Yes, everything is MOSTLY OK but we have a squeak from the front wheels when we turn to full lock, what WILL you do about this..." 

WE ARE NOT NEW CAR DEALERS, WE DON'T HAVE THE MANUFACTURER'S BACK UP AND WE DON'T NEED TO DO WHAT NEW CAR DEALERS DO. 

Er - yes Ditto for sure!

Noted, maybe I've been lucky but your right no point asking for problems. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Stalker said:

It may be prudent to Invest in a simple cheapish code reader off ebay, take a note of the code ie P0325 - Knock Sensor  or something like that,

So that you can clear it for the demo, then take it down to your garage to investigate.

Any recommendations ?.

I wont be needing the latest all singing all dancing model but one that does the job preferably tells me the issue, not just a code and  can reset  

Trouble is, the Generics don't access all areas, so can easily lead you up the Garden Path........................

Case in point yesterday ..................... 2007 Peugeot Expert, hardly a technological masterpiece.......................

Snap On Solus Ultra Pro read "all systems", 6 Systems actually, when I plugged in the Peugeot Planet Diagbox, there's actually 14 Systems on the Van, one or 2 with Faults the Snap On simply didn't see.

To anyone on here wanting a decent all rounder Generic, spend around £450 on an Autel Maxidas, best bang for the buck right now compared to other Generics.

Go for the one around £1k if you want an even better one and need not to be giving some dosh to HMRC ;) 

The better the machine, the more you will learn too.

If you are a tight arse looking to spend £50 on some OBD Pish then don't bother, keep the Nifty in your pocket and get a decent Take Away supper ;)

HTH

18 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Agree, ring and cancel with appologisng profusely about a personal matter that has just cropped up which has to be dealt with immediately, whatever you do don't use a fault or warning light as an excuse, you'll burst their bubble......

+1.

Mind you I’ve NEVER had a petrol Zafira go into limp mode so I’d be interested to know what’s caused it.

:lol: Very rare for a Vauxhallamabob to put a fault light on :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

:lol: Very rare for a Vauxhallamabob to put a fault light on :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The occasional the EML but not limp mode. I wish every engine was as strong as Vauxhall’s 1.8 lump - VAG can only dream of such reliability.

Well judging by the amount of Vauxhall's I see in the workshop on a weekly basis that have shat their nappies, Crank Sensors, Chains, EGR's, Coil Packs, 02 Sensors, MAF's etc etc etc I'm guessing you've just been lucky ;)  

Yeah, agreed, probably get more VW's lol, but then no one brings a car to me unless it's fucked and others have scratched their heads and sucked through their teeth anyways, at least they don't quibble about the bills up here though, and once they've been here once they then bring them back for everything else too :D

That 07 Expert Van ended up with a £2700 bill, he looked at Invoice, laughed, went home in his now perfect again Van, and next morning paid in full by BT