I sell many cars that are in my name for various reasons. So what!it's in your name? 

I would not be bothered and just get it back and fix it or offer a refund and send it to the block. 

It only hurts until you sell the next car.

4 hours ago, MOTORS said:

Gosh, you're harsh with newbies. Read your first post as a newbie from February 2018...

Just what I was reading actually. Few months down the line and he owns the forum apparently 

Put yourself in the punters shoes, how would you feel if it happened to you. Some great advice about getting the car back, make sure the customer is aware of your returns policy.

6 hours ago, MOTORS said:

Gosh, you're harsh with newbies. Read your first post as a newbie from February 2018...

Perhaps a little. 

But unlike those that only come on here when they are in the shit, and fuck off as soon as they have what they want, I stuck around and try to contribute to the forum where I can. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

I doubt if egr was original fault he would have gotten another month trouble free driving am sure light would have come back on in first few days

He didn't get a month trouble free, he just didn't feel it slowly blocking DPF until it got to critical level, at which point it went downhill very quickly, according to OP.

Exactly how quickly Fault Lights come back on depends entirely on the ECU programming strategy, some Cars can take a few hundred miles before Light will come back on, some cars straight away...................

Yes, if you re read it after a day or 2 you may see the fault as a "pending", but most ECU's need to see this kind of fault a few times before the lights come back on.

This is why so many Cars bought at auction do not surface faults until they've done a few hundred miles, because Vendor turned the lights out !!

Yes it is speculation on my part, not having had it in my Workshop, but this stuff is what I do day in / day out. On most DPF equipped Cars any pending or actual code which affects air flow through the engine will halt auto regen until the fault is repaired.

Sadly most manufacturers will not release there ECU Strategies, and bearing in mind that VAG Emissions Scandal I expect they have all been deleted / burned :lol: 

• Like 1

After reading the OP I'm seeing a lot of the shit I had when I first joined, this is a public forum put in place to help traders who need advice, why are you so fucked off about giving advice @EPV? You did it with me, you give the advice and then moan about giving it. So what if the guys never going to come BACK? No ones asking you for your opinion direct are they? You are volunteering to give it!!! Don't you feel good that the experience you've gained in short space can help someone possibly less experienced than you out?

1 minute ago, MrV said:

After reading the OP I'm seeing a lot of the shit I had when I first joined, this is a public forum put in place to help traders who need advice, why are you so fucked off about giving advice @EPV? You did it with me, you give the advice and then moan about giving it. So what if the guys never going to come BACK? No ones asking you for your opinion direct are they? You are volunteering to give it!!! Don't you feel good that the experience you've gained in short space can help someone possibly less experienced than you out?

You think it’s acceptable for people to put time and effort into helping someone only for them to suck up all that help and knowledge and not stick around for a while to see if they can help others? You’re ok with that? 

I did help the OP. I told him to go and see a solicitor instead of writing half baked letters. 

This morning I’ve taken time to write to a newbie. A month ago I spent an hour all told replying back and forth to a newbie who has disappeared since despite being asked for updates (it’s nice to know how things pan out isn’t it) and last week I offered advice to a chap from Scotland about why his phone isn’t ringing. So don’t tell me I begrudge giving help to newbies.

It’s a public forum set up so traders can talk to each other and share ideas and advice. That’s a two way street. If this were a real life environment, say a pub, and people kept coming in, draining the locals knowledge and pissing off without so much as a kiss me arse, how long do you think the locals would wear that? 

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

You think it’s acceptable for people to put time and effort into helping someone only for them to suck up all that help and knowledge and not stick around for a while to see if they can help others? You’re ok with that? 

I did help the OP. I told him to go and see a solicitor instead of writing half baked letters. 

This morning I’ve taken time to write to a newbie. A month ago I spent an hour all told replying back and forth to a newbie who has disappeared since despite being asked for updates (it’s nice to know how things pan out isn’t it) and last week I offered advice to a chap from Scotland about why his phone isn’t ringing. So don’t tell me I begrudge giving help to newbies.

It’s a public forum set up so traders can talk to each other and share ideas and advice. That’s a two way street. If this were a real life environment, say a pub, and people kept coming in, draining the locals knowledge and pissing off without so much as a kiss me arse, how long do you think the locals would wear that? 

Most of them wouldn't care, if I was bothered about giving advice to newbies who took the advice and disappeared then personally I wouldn't be making the effort to offer advice in the first place because like it or not that's the way a forum goes, join, get required help, stick around all day and offer advice or fuck off! 

22 hours ago, MrV said:

Most of them wouldn't care, if I was bothered about giving advice to newbies who took the advice and disappeared then personally I wouldn't be making the effort to offer advice in the first place because like it or not that's the way a forum goes, join, get required help, stick around all day and offer advice or fuck off! 

A forum works when people pitch in and help out each other.

Guy again thanks spoke to customer today and garage and all getting sorted now. You advice was invaluable thank you. 

Now time to disapear now I have all you insight. (I think not) 

My next topic I think will be on BCA that should set the fireworks off 

With regards to this particular car, Id be tempted to get it correctyl diagnosed, We use VAG Com that gives us OE codes and descriptions.

EGR valves don't always have to be renewed - cleaning sometimes gets them back to new if you are patient enough.

Also some generic code readers don't give proper descriptions, It may have insufficient flow, or excessive flow, both of these may or may not be the result of a knackered EGR valve.

The DPF will just need a good regen on VAG com, once the EGR fault has been addressed.

Make sure it has 6  working glow plugs and power to them before you go any further with the DPF regen.

Just now, Stalker said:

With regards to this particular car, Id be tempted to get it correctly diagnosed, We use VAG Com that gives us OE codes and descriptions.

EGR valves don't always have to be renewed - cleaning sometimes gets them back to new if you are patient enough.

Also some generic code readers don't give proper descriptions, It may have insufficient flow, or excessive flow, both of these may or may not be the result of a knackered EGR valve.

The DPF will just need a good regen on VAG com, once the EGR fault has been addressed.

Make sure it has 6  working glow plugs and power to them before you go any further with the DPF regen.

I seem to have lost the EDIT button?

18 minutes ago, Stalker said:

+1

2 hours ago, MrV said:

Benji I have to agree with EPV a little on this, a few "newbie" posts on here are obviously privates milking us for info and giving nothing back, but at least you milked us and gave a lot back, you took a lot of shit and ribbing and took it like a man and made a lot of us laugh, hopefully you learnt a little and  long may the banter continue.

17 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

Benji I have to agree with EPV a little on this, a few "newbie" posts on here are obviously privates milking us for info and giving nothing back, but at least you milked us and gave a lot back, you took a lot of shit and ribbing and took it like a man and made a lot of us laugh, hopefully you learnt a little and  long may the banter continue.

Well Said ;)

3 hours ago, EPV said:

how long do you think the locals would wear that? 

LOL, we don't up here :lol:

Fucking arse hole tourists coming in, use toilet, hook up to Wi Fi, ask us the bus times, the way to this and that and don't even buy a Diet Coke :(

I tell 'em to fuck off, like most of the locals.

Now and then we get the odd good guy, sticks around, has a beer, gets the craic with us ................

Then we will tell him what is a good place to eat, what are good road trips and what are a waste of time etc etc, buy 'em a single malt and get on the drammies wi' em if they are really nice, or have really nice crumpet with them ( I digress often do) :D

Just the same on  here, I agree with EPV, a lot are private billies looking to learn how we do business, but for those who are genuine noobs, yeah, I'll help and advise, but I do need to clock a post or 2 first so I can try to sniff out Genuine Trader or Billy Bunter twat :lol:

11 hours ago, EPV said:

The newbie has no knowledge, that's why they are asking for advice. Stick around to see if they can help others?  They know bugger all and can't offer help or advice until they've gained some knowledge and experience. Let them get VAT registered and send their money to HMRC every quarter then they might have learnt something useful. Offering advice when they know bugger all is no use to anyone.

On 04/11/2018 at 1:53 PM, Dave2302 said:

BTW a deep clean on DPF and a good used EGR does not cost £1500 

I couldnt say for sure but I would hazard a guess that the egr was fouling/failing and stopped the DPF from regen. Agree on first thought Dave?

I agree, I've said that a few times in this thread, albeit in slightly different words ......................

"Any code that affects Airflow through the Engine will stop ECU from doing auto regen" ;)

10 hours ago, MOTORS said:

The newbie has no knowledge, that's why they are asking for advice. Stick around to see if they can help others?  They know bugger all and can't offer help or advice until they've gained some knowledge and experience. Let them get VAT registered and send their money to HMRC every quarter then they might have learnt something useful. Offering advice when they know bugger all is no use to anyone.

I think that's a bit harsh .......................

Take me for an example, been in Motor Trade since I was 15 but ......................

I've never run a busy sales environment, I just buy repair and sell a few for a very good Profit !!

My core business nowadays is Diagnostics and Rectification works, (Workshop).

I average 5 sales Cars a month, in a very unique environment, never advertise etc so I couldn't possibly advise some of you guys on how to increase Sales, Format Adverts and take Photo's etc etc..

However when someone has a problem car although it is difficult across the Internet I can and will give advice on that ;)

Some Noob's yes clueless, some will have knowledge, maybe they no Finance, maybe they know Advertising, maybe they know Air Conditioning ???

Maybe their old man is one of the MD's of Arnold Clark ;)

*know

• Like 1

I'm going to jump in as Admin here.

This forums was set up for us, as the trade, to talk to each other. 

Share ideas, help and problems... and have a laugh along the way.

We are very proud of the way the forum, mostly, self manages and the way that most people are happy to give advice.

Don't forget, many on here won't work for a large group, they may be a one man band, so this is as close as chatting to a colleague about an issue as it gets.

We love the fact that so many people are so happy to give advice and we want this forum to be a place where people can come and get views, (whether then like the answers or not).

You do not need to offer advice, its not obligatory and we are just happy to have all involved. Yes, some may come along when they need help and then go quiet, that's natural, but the help they get here will also encourage others to become active members, which is good for us all.

Believe it or not, we have over 40,000 views of this forums every month, true story, so, many people come along to read and watch. Even if someone doesn't post much, it doesn't mean they aren't taking in what's becoming said.

So, lets play nice with the new guys (and gals). We were all there one.

Love, hugs and kisses from us all and HAPPY CHRISTMAS  

Please also note - I didn't mention Porsches once !

• Like 1

/\ /\ /\ LOL nicely put .....................

I only signed up to ask if I was taking the piss driving my own Car on trade plates to a paint shop !!

But I enjoyed the craic and stayed, same with another Forum I moderate now, signed up with a question, and believe me boys and girls being a Mod is a thankless task ;)

Oh and PORSCHES :D

1 hour ago, Andy Entwistle said:

Please also note - I didn't mention Porsches once !

Do you like Porsches? :D

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I agree, I've said that a few times in this thread, albeit in slightly different words ......................

"Any code that affects Airflow through the Engine will stop ECU from doing auto regen" ;)

Take me for an example, been in Motor Trade since I was 15 but ......................

I've never run a busy sales environment, I just buy repair and sell a few for a very good Profit !!

My core business nowadays is Diagnostics and Rectification works, (Workshop).

I average 5 sales Cars a month, in a very unique environment, never advertise etc so I couldn't possibly advise some of you guys on how to increase Sales, Format Adverts and take Photo's etc etc..

However when someone has a problem car although it is difficult across the Internet I can and will give advice on that ;)

Some Noob's yes clueless, some will have knowledge, maybe they no Finance, maybe they know Advertising, maybe they know Air Conditioning ???

Maybe their old man is one of the MD's of Arnold Clark ;)

*know

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I was actually sticking up for the newbie. Lots of them are just starting out and have made mistakes, are very green and don't know anything much at all. There will be newbies asking questions who have knowledge and of course who can contribute to the forum. The earlier post by EPV seemed to imply that if the newbie didn't hang around to help others they weren't welcome and I disagree with that. I was trying to make the point that if the newbie has no knowledge then they can't offer advice (yet) but may well be a great future member of the forum and able to offer advice when they have gained some knowledge.  

3 hours ago, Andy Entwistle said:

Believe it or not, we have over 40,000 views of this forums every month, true story, so, many people come along to read and watch.

Don't get too excited, 39,000 of those views are me and I'm full of useless information :lol:

2 hours ago, MOTORS said:

I was actually sticking up for the newbie. Lots of them are just starting out and have made mistakes, are very green and don't know anything much at all. There will be newbies asking questions who have knowledge and of course who can contribute to the forum. The earlier post by EPV seemed to imply that if the newbie didn't hang around to help others they weren't welcome and I disagree with that. I was trying to make the point that if the newbie has no knowledge then they can't offer advice (yet) but may well be a great future member of the forum and able to offer advice when they have gained some knowledge.  

My bad then so apologies, I read the post as the exact opposite ;)  I agree with your disagreement :lol::lol::lol:

20 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Don't get too excited, 39,000 of those views are me and I'm full of useless information :lol:

Big :lol: 

On 04/11/2018 at 2:50 PM, MOTORS said:

Seemed like a nice chap in feb 2018 from reading that post! Funny what this job can do to some people