Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Any Genny/Electric Know Alls?

I've possibly found a plot of land I can turn into a pitch (appointment only type, not open pitch) and it has water but no electric, so the logical thing is to buy a generator.

I'm clueless about outputs and requirements etc, so working on the basis I will want to power a few lights in a portacabin, a couple of wall sockets too and around 10 halogen type floodlights dotted around the plot, what sort of output would I likely need from a diesel genny?

Cheers in advance.

21 minutes ago, EPV said:

I've possibly found a plot of land I can turn into a pitch (appointment only type, not open pitch) and it has water but no electric, so the logical thing is to buy a generator.

I'm clueless about outputs and requirements etc, so working on the basis I will want to power a few lights in a portacabin, a couple of wall sockets too and around 10 halogen type floodlights dotted around the plot, what sort of output would I likely need from a diesel genny?

Cheers in advance.

Get a 6KVA silent diesel unit.

Just now, Rory RSC said:

Just run it off a lampost or something else nearby dead easy to do. 

You sure you weren't a gippo in a previous life?

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Cheers in advance.

I think you may be better off with a solar/wind turbine kind of set up? Sorry no use with the outputs etc... you might need a sparky.... there was one on here a little while ago wanting to set up a used car business on the side?

1 minute ago, Stalker said:

I think you may be better off with a solar/wind turbine kind of set up? Sorry no use with the outputs etc... you might need a sparky.... there was one on here a little while ago wanting to set up a used car business on the side?

Not sure that solar would be man enough mate, granted I don’t want to power Blackpool illuminations but having seen the pathetic output those garden solar lights have I can only imagine i’d need more solar panels than I could shake a stick at 

+1 for 6 Kva , that's what we use for the whole house when the leccy goes off up here ;)

Only thing I have to turn off is the Hot Tub :(

Why not ask that dealer/Trader guy who is also big on solar panels...I think he is called Elon....

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

:lol::lol::lol:

James....How exciting.....

I used to rent a farm shed on a free range chicken farm in a previous life, I used to get stuck in the mud, chicken shit everywhere, rats, mice, dust, straw, no electricity..... But it solved a problem for a short period of time.....

Solar and turbines are no use for what you want. You would have to store the energy they produce so you can use it when they stop producing. To store the energy you would need batteries. 

Batteries on this scale require regular maintenance and are expensive....in the region of £1000 to £2500 each to buy. 

A silent running diesel generator will be your best bet and you can run it on cherry. 

The generator will need Automatic voltage regulation because if it doesn’t it will fry electronics like laptops etc. 

A 6KVA generator will give you about 20A of power. 

6000 watts/240V=25A

There will be losses through the generator so you have to allow for power factor....0.8 would be a reasonable Pf.

25A x 0.8Pf=20A

Running at 50% the generator will use around 1.4 liters an hour. 

Are you thinking of buying or renting a modular building? 

Edited by Leekent

18 minutes ago, Leekent said:

Solar and turbines are no use for what you want. You would have to store the energy they produce so you can use it when they stop producing. To store the energy you would need batteries. 

Batteries on this scale require regular maintenance and are expensive....in the region of £1000 to £2500 each to buy. 

A silent running diesel generator will be your best bet and you can run it on cherry. 

The generator will need Automatic voltage regulation because if it doesn’t it will fry electronics like laptops etc. 

A 6KVA generator will give you about 20A of power. 

6000 watts/240V=25A

There will be losses through the generator so you have to allow for power factor....0.8 would be a reasonable Pf.

25A x 0.8Pf=20A

Running at 50% the generator will use around 1.4 liters an hour. 

Are you thinking of buying or renting a modular building? 

It will be a converted container mate, rented, so yes.

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

It will be a converted container mate, rented, so yes.

Most of our sites rent them from a company called RS French in Kent. The ones they normally hire come as an office, toilet and a little cupboard type thing with a built in generator. Might be worth a look. I’m not 100% but I believe they are around £40 a week. 

6 minutes ago, Leekent said:

Most of our sites rent them from a company called RS French in Kent. The ones they normally hire come as an office, toilet and a little cupboard type thing with a built in generator. Might be worth a look. I’m not 100% but I believe they are around £40 a week. 

Yes mate that’s the kind of price range I was looking at, cheers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Mr Bean style, just open the access panel and connect your jump leads to the + & -. Couldn't be simpler!

12 hours ago, Scooby who said:

Mr Bean style, just open the access panel and connect your jump leads to the + & -. Couldn't be simpler!

:lol::lol::lol: