Sign in to follow this  
Barclaywoodmotorco

Slash prices or ride out the quiet spell

No point reducing prices..... one sale will cover your 2.... I would rather sell 4 cars with £2k profit each than 8 cars with £1k profit each. Don’t become a busy fool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

No point reducing prices..... one sale will cover your 2.... I would rather sell 4 cars with £2k profit each than 8 cars with £1k profit each. Don’t become a busy fool.

Sounds lovely but let’s be honest, no one is selling 4 cars on the bounce all with that sort of margin across them. Certainly not run of the mill or 8 year old stuff. 

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Sounds lovely but let’s be honest, no one is selling 4 cars on the bounce all with that sort of margin across them. Certainly not run of the mill or 8 year old stuff. 

Quite right mate, wouldn't get out of bed for that. :lol:

Game of averages as we know.

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Certainly not run of the mill or 8 year old stuff. 

It's the 8 year old stuff that can have that sort of margin rather than newish run of the mill superminis. 

I have three part exes I am about to retail. 2005 S320CDI, came at £1000, 2005 Passat 1.9 TDI Highline, came at £400 and 2006 Jeep Cherokee Left hand drive at £1600. Each needed a bit of work and each will earn me more than the last BMW i3 I bought at BCA for £15700. No chance for finance though and the work required on some of these cars to get them up to speed will scare a lot of people off. 

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

It's the 8 year old stuff that can have that sort of margin rather than newish run of the mill superminis. 

I have three part exes I am about to retail. 2005 S320CDI, came at £1000, 2005 Passat 1.9 TDI Highline, came at £400 and 2006 Jeep Cherokee Left hand drive at £1600. Each needed a bit of work and each will earn me more than the last BMW i3 I bought at BCA for £15700. No chance for finance though and the work required on some of these cars to get them up to speed will scare a lot of people off. 

I think you may have missed my point squire. 

Yes you CAN make those margins but you are unlikely to sell 4 cars on the bounce with those sorts of margins on.  You may make £2,000, £750, £100 and a £200 loss. The point I was making is, it’s not as simple as selling 4 cars with £2k instead of 8 cars with £1k. 

9 hours ago, EPV said:

The point I was making is, it’s not as simple as selling 4 cars with £2k instead of 8 cars with £1k. 

It depends on the stock really and how much you are aiming for. 

If you aim for £1K per car I can promise you you won't get £2K per car. If you aim for £3K per car it's entirely plausible that you can sell 4 cars with £2K profit on each. That's why I dislike retail-back and favour a more simple strategy: buy for as little as you can, sell for as much as you can. 

In my example above the (gross!!!) margins will be:

S320: £4K

Passat: £2200 

Left hand drive Jeep: £2400

BMW i3: £1500 (if I get asking price)

Of course to get the p/x stock with that sort of margins (I will achieve close to them, I promise you) I need the overpriced "retail" stock to advertise and get me the customer as I don't operate on a "We will buy your car for cash" basis like many others can and do. 

If your happy with your stock what prep it proper then toss it off?? We can all race to the bottom.... jobs quiet,  prep them right and sit tight

20 hours ago, EPV said:

I think you may have missed my point squire. 

Yes you CAN make those margins but you are unlikely to sell 4 cars on the bounce with those sorts of margins on.  You may make £2,000, £750, £100 and a £200 loss. The point I was making is, it’s not as simple as selling 4 cars with £2k instead of 8 cars with £1k. 

Correct

22 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

That sounds like my stock profile (except the f***ing VW) - it often takes me a fortnight or so to get a car on sale but if I turn an £800er into a £2000er then it’s no sweat for me to have these cars racked up outside the grease monkey’s premises. It beats the ‘wiping it’s face’ I usually end up getting on a newer small car.

Its all swings & roundabouts, I usually seem to work for either decent money or shit money, with little between.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Its all swings & roundabouts, I usually seem to work for either decent money or shit money, with little between.

Most of my cars on my forecourt are £500 - £1000 above auto trader average and I’m selling them straight off the forecourt no problem. I only sell German unless something tasty comes up, agreed I can’t make £2000 in every mini but I am with the other stuff Unless I get a cheap tort ex fiesta in. Most of my cars at 6-10 years old.

I’m now averaging £1200 - £2000 per unit now and am thinking of binning off auto trader as Its becoming a dutch auction on there now and I couldn’t make a living competing with their average price guides.