Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Irritating Auctioneers

I'm nominating the chap in the UKCG sale at Nottingham BCA. Trying to rap like an MC. Failing. 

Infuriating style of auctioning. Have a listen, if you're at a laptop.

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

I'm nominating the chap in the UKCG sale at Nottingham BCA. Trying to rap like an MC. Failing. 

but surely if you get down there you can whip him for us:D

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

but surely if you get down there you can whip him for us:D

I only beat defenceless animals mate

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

I'm nominating the chap in the UKCG sale at Nottingham BCA

The chap in Blackbushe Hall 2 standing nearest the exit doors, always doing UKCG Select and usually starting the bidding from Cap Clean. 

24 minutes ago, EPV said:

He is a very in demand auctioneer... Mr Rev it up we call him.

He achieves some of the best prices seemingly.

3 minutes ago, Stalker said:

He is a very in demand auctioneer... Mr Rev it up we call him.

He achieves some of the best prices seemingly.

Have I got the wrong guy or does he also do Birmingham / Walsall? 

Just now, c_cars said:

Have I got the wrong guy or does he also do Birmingham / Walsall? 

He goes everywhere, all of the vendors want him.

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Dreadful sounding bloke. 

Is it Jim?

Auctoneer terminology is great:

Quick car = beat the traffic

High Miles = been busy or someone liked driving it

MPV = get the whole family in that

Bag of scrap = looks well

Accident damaged = needs a polish

Leominster is about the worst I have ever heard guy keeps talking about chickens and the number two, even had a funny video on you tube once not sure if it’s still there.

Firstly I'd say it's a wonderful art that you can either do or you can't, regardless of the amount of training you have. I love a good auctioneer and admire their craft. Most annoying for me and it's probably an accent thing (although I do sense he likes the sound of his own voice), has to be the aussie guy who has burst on the scene the last few years.

Out of interest, are they generally employed or do some sub contract and what sort of money can they earn with bonus's etc?

I had a bit of a run in some years ago with one of the guys at Blackbushe. Don't know what his name is but he's always there, I call him " Mr Take a good look round it" because that's how he starts off with every car. "Take a good look round it, What's your best?" LOL. Anyways I was bidding on something online with him and I had the highest bid. he then proceed to hang it out for ever and I do mean forever, waiting for someone else to come back in, he hung it out for so long that it was embarrassing. I was a bit miffed to put it mildly so fired over a message on their system asking him if he could hang on a bit longer next time. He came back straight away saying something along the lines of don't be bloody cheeky but he seems to have never forgotten and hangs on to the bitter end on anything that I'm on. He's probably cost me  few quid over the years, 

"it's still YOUR bid SIR, the one before was the lady standing right next to you"

1 hour ago, sparky said:

Most annoying for me and it's probably an accent thing (although I do sense he likes the sound of his own voice), has to be the aussie guy who has burst on the scene the last few years.

I think the guy your talking about is a kiwi. 

I'm would never insult an auctioneer online for everyone to see, they are all fantastic and I love them ;)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I think the guy your talking about is a kiwi. 

I take it back then :D

Its shut down now but the Auctioneer at Blackpool auctions would say "In the best colour" on every single car.

1 hour ago, Autolink100 said:

I had a bit of a run in some years ago with one of the guys at Blackbushe. Don't know what his name is but he's always there, I call him " Mr Take a good look round it" because that's how he starts off with every car. "Take a good look round it, What's your best?" LOL. Anyways I was bidding on something online with him and I had the highest bid. he then proceed to hang it out for ever and I do mean forever, waiting for someone else to come back in, he hung it out for so long that it was embarrassing. I was a bit miffed to put it mildly so fired over a message on their system asking him if he could hang on a bit longer next time. He came back straight away saying something along the lines of don't be bloody cheeky but he seems to have never forgotten and hangs on to the bitter end on anything that I'm on. He's probably cost me  few quid over the years, 

Today at BCA Nottingham, the singer/rapper/drill sargent from Full Metal Jacket's partner in crime, brought the once, twice down and an online bid snuck in a last £25 bid, which disgusted him it seems, he apologised to the hall bidder by first name, asked him if he wanted another £25, which he did and then said once twice as quick as I ask for second helpings and bang, hammer down and sold to the hall. Internet didn't get a chance. It wasn't me, I did feel miffed for the internet bidder though.

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

Today at BCA Nottingham, the singer/rapper/drill sargent from Full Metal Jacket's partner in crime, brought the once, twice down and an online bid snuck in a last £25 bid, which disgusted him it seems, he apologised to the hall bidder by first name, asked him if he wanted another £25, which he did and then said once twice as quick as I ask for second helpings and bang, hammer down and sold to the hall. Internet didn't get a chance. It wasn't me, I did feel miffed for the internet bidder though.

I can imagine it all to clearly! You will be seeing what you didnt when you were bidding online James, did you see the arsew*pes out side the hall bidding it up and walking away? No intention of buying...!! Pointy cowboy boots, Merc padded leather jacket and cant use a biro.. you get the picture.. Thing is you get to know the faces and their tricks; auctioneers favourites

I was WAVING with the catalogue in the seating of the hall a few weeks back; still went online!! As you say, the hammer was down fast... two other auctioneers were so bleeding sheepish as I was clearly insight and seen...  £25 increments on bids.. I wish! 

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it

16 hours ago, sparky said:

Firstly I'd say it's a wonderful art that you can either do or you can't, regardless of the amount of training you have. I love a good auctioneer and admire their craft. Most annoying for me and it's probably an accent thing (although I do sense he likes the sound of his own voice), has to be the aussie guy who has burst on the scene the last few years.

Out of interest, are they generally employed or do some sub contract and what sort of money can they earn with bonus's etc?

Central and a Scottish BCA? for the Kiwi.

One of the young lads who started out an Manheim Mansfield I think is a decent fair Auctioneer.  I couldn't care less about the chat or banter etc but nothing annoys me more when its a quick hammer for the hall bids and when I am online its a good 30 seconds of any bidders, anyone, going once, twice, areyou sure, can I take a 50 etc.....A couple of places are far worse for it than others. 

41 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

nothing annoys me more when its a quick hammer for the hall bids

I love the quick knocks... to be honest the auctioneers will always favour hall bids.

7 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I love the quick knocks... to be honest the auctioneers will always favour hall bids.

Explain why that is it me? Actually it doesn’t matter really. They shouldn’t favour Hall bids, no matter why. 

I get on really well with the main auctioneer, he's a top boke to be fair.  His sidekick on the other hand ouzes arrogance and is obvious with his phantom bids.  Young lad, never cracks a smile or any courtesy in or out of the hall.  Made me smile the other week when I was collecting the last car close to closing time, to see him climb into a shitty i10 or similar (after giving it large all day).

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

Explain why that is it me? Actually it doesn’t matter really. They shouldn’t favour Hall bids, no matter why. 

Because along with several other jobs, I guess there will come a day that the auctioneers may not have a job and could be done online using a computer.

15 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Because along with several other jobs, I guess there will come a day that the auctioneers may not have a job and could be done online using a computer.

Well it’s happening. Being a dick towards online buyers won’t stop it. 

Anyway, shit happens eh. Bigger problems in the job to deal with than this subject I expect. 

I will add that like Met I admire their art. I’m a gobby, cheeky cockerny type who would suit being an auctioneer I think so I admire them and find some of their speel amusing. 

“£500? I was looking for a bid not a deposit”

that was my favourite from yesterday. 

Quick witted quick thinking chaps. 

They’re still cunts for pulling some of the strokes they do but I guess that’s the nature of the beast. Artful dodger types.