Sign in to follow this  
Mistermuttley

Sold does not always mean sold.......

14 minutes ago, EPV said:

Not really. 

I’ve sold several cars in excess of AT’s suggested market value. 

I have one right now for example, AT suggest £7750 and i’ve got it up for £8250. I don’t even have the car in my possession yet, it’s got 3 photos online and i’ve had three calls in 5 days wanting to see it. 

Agreed, It is just a guide and i also have had great success in "overpricing" against the AT marketplace, If you have something special rare niche or it has something to separate it from the pack then of course you need to price it apart from the rest, know your cars and  your marketplace i think is what i am saying

Edited by Blenheim Car Sales

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

Not really. 

I’ve sold several cars in excess of AT’s suggested market value. 

I have one right now for example, AT suggest £7750 and i’ve got it up for £8250. I don’t even have the car in my possession yet, it’s got 3 photos online and i’ve had three calls in 5 days wanting to see it. 

Wow, is it something really rare?

42 minutes ago, Mistermuttley said:

Wow, is it something really rare?

Hardly, a 3 series Tourer. 

You just need to find cars that are sought after and price them accordingly.

• Like 1

Hi Mistermuttley

When the auction cocks up as in this case,they should owe you a cheap car ( or quick knock).Auction contract law states when the hammer comes down you have bought the merchandise.They are in breach of contract and treated you as a soft touch.Offering you a free on line buyers fee is not good enough.In the past,I have been involved on several occasions where the auction has made a mistake and were pleased to resolve the matter by owing me a favour which they have honoured.This goes on all the time.I recall the last time it happened to me,an auctioneer brought down the hammer then said ‘ provisional’,I called to him there and then in front of the rostrum and told him that I had bought the car.I think he  said ‘we will sort it out later’ and that is what happened. I think you should get back onto them and let us know how you get on.

Regarding your profit margins,if you can get by on low margins that is OK.This business is full of people who always take big money out of deals when the reality is completely different.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Mistermuttley

When the auction cocks up as in this case,they should owe you a cheap car ( or quick knock).Auction contract law states when the hammer comes down you have bought the merchandise.They are in breach of contract and treated you as a soft touch.Offering you a free on line buyers fee is not good enough.In the past,I have been involved on several occasions where the auction has made a mistake and were pleased to resolve the matter by owing me a favour which they have honoured.This goes on all the time.I recall the last time it happened to me,an auctioneer brought down the hammer then said ‘ provisional’,I called to him there and then in front of the rostrum and told him that I had bought the car.I think he  said ‘we will sort it out later’ and that is what happened. I think you should get back onto them and let us know how you get on.

Regarding your profit margins,if you can get by on low margins that is OK.This business is full of people who always take big money out of deals when the reality is completely different.

last time i had an auction in my favour like the OP the auction rang me up asking for their car back or for me to pay the reserve of the vendor

i refused but obviously never went back because i knew they would have taken my money next time in the office and told me to do one

it was a long time ago though

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Hi Mistermuttley

I did think that the car should have been given to me as the hammer went down and yes i probably was a bit soft. The lady though was apologetic and i think she didnt like having to tell me the car was not mine.I'll ask for a favour from them in future then. Would have been a bit firmer if not for the fact that even though its us that pay their bills,its dead easy for them to just cancel your account 

someone selling 3 or 4 cars a month from home with a 4-500 margin per unit could quite easily be making as much if not more than a small 10 car pitch looking for usual margins when you consider overheads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

I did think that the car should have been given to me as the hammer went down and yes i probably was a bit soft. The lady though was apologetic and i think she didnt like having to tell me the car was not mine.I'll ask for a favour from them in future then. Would have been a bit firmer if not for the fact that even though its us that pay their bills,its dead easy for them to just cancel your account 

They can’t cancel your account for no good reason.They won’t,or you could probably do them for loss of profit,missed opportunities,hurt feelings etc etc

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Wolverhampton is much better since gong  to BCA as apposed to Scottish motor auctions, Far more stock going through

Cheers,will try it

On a 4k car, typically i will look to make a grand, less VAT, costs etc and look to clear minimum of £500 but typically £600 clear.

£800-1000. With £400, it's great if you get that and you're home-based with no overheads, but you have to allow for wiggle room for "what ifs" and haggling. Car might seem smart, but you have to account for issues cropping up.

43 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

£400 net on a car that would have cost £3400 less fees.. wow.

We make £400 on £1K cars and they fly out.

is that from auction or do you buy them from private sellers like ebay etc? even the tat at auction fetches great prices

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mistermuttley said:

is that from auction or do you buy them from private sellers like ebay etc? even the tat at auction fetches great prices

From auction, I'm not going to go dishing out "trade secrets" and their is no get rich quick scheme it is just about buying the right shit and making it look good.

Edited by AutoJacob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

From auction, I'm not going to go dishing out "trade secrets"

well done mate

thats all you need:)

ps remove most of your post as i have or 40 non logged in lookers will be copying you tomoss

and trust me im not kidding 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

From auction, I'm not going to go dishing out "trade secrets"

Cheers for that, much appreciated. I do need to change my stock mix as essentially its family style hatchbacks and there are so many of them out there of each model that people are spoilt for choice and loads just look at the bottom line. Will try and mix up my next few purchases, seems its definitely worth a gamble. Took a punt on an ugly duckling Peugeot 1007 ,bought for £700 very low miles ,owes me 750 and someone is coming to view it,its up at 1299 so i expect a decent profit from that so i can see how non mainstream stuff can sell. The fiat 500 at 3400 with 400 seems daft when you compare cheap cars like that.

Just taken out your quote as boring dave said to get rid of it, dont want you to lose your niche

Edited by Mistermuttley

1 minute ago, Mistermuttley said:

Cheers for that, much appreciated. I do need to change my stock mix as essentially its family style hatchbacks and there are so many of them out there of each model that people are spoilt for choice and loads just look at the bottom line. Will try and mix up my next few purchases, seems its definitely worth a gamble. Took a punt on an ugly duckling Peugeot 1007 ,bought for £700 very low miles ,owes me 750 and someone is coming to view it,its up at 1299 so i expect a decent profit from that so i can see how non mainstream stuff can sell. The fiat 500 at 3400 with 400 seems daft when you compare cheap cars like that.

i used to do the auctions every night 6pm till at least 11pm an early night was 10.30 rush home get a few pints in from the local landlord in a lock in go home have some overcooked tea and go to bed

now the world is on screen,you can buy online via 4 screens never get wet have to accept crap from anyone and be in bed for 11

would i bid 34 to make 4? no way,you can do this job just dont follow the crowd :)but obviously dont buy shit either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i used to do the auctions every night 6pm till at least 11pm an early night was 10.30 rush home get a few pints in from the local landlord in a lock in go home have some overcooked tea and go to bed

now the world is on screen,you can buy online via 4 screens never get wet have to accept crap from anyone and be in bed for 11

would i bid 34 to make 4? no way,you can do this job just dont follow the crowd :)but obviously dont buy shit either

Realise that what im buying is what the large outlets are all stocking,bread and butter stuff and I've been cutting my profit to match/beat them. Best to leave them to the mainstream stuff and as said by a few here find my niche,cheers.

• Like 1

You can't re invent the wheel here, as you rightly say, you have to find your own "niche" ;)

9 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

Just taken out your quote as boring dave said to get rid of it, dont want you to lose your niche

Bingo. 

Everything happens for a reason, maybe missing out on the 500 was a blessing in disguise :)

10 hours ago, boring dave said:

well done mate

thats all you need:)

ps remove most of your post as i have or 40 non logged in lookers will be copying you tomoss

and trust me im not kidding 

That's why we should use the private forum more :)

• Like 1