NickGCS

New member - add ons

Hello everyone, my first post! great forum I’ve been reading for a while! 

I’ve been trading 8 years, we have a small forecourt of around 20 and a unit with our mechanic. 

We currently only offer paint protection as an add on. Today I was looking over a deal for a family member for a car they are buying from listers Bmw, and came across their add ons- gap, dent and scratch protection, alloy and tyre insurance, service packages, etc etc

how many of you with a similar set up offer these extras? Which ones work best/worst? 

Thanks in advance 

Nick 

25 minutes ago, NickGCS said:

Hello everyone, my first post! great forum I’ve been reading for a while! 

I’ve been trading 8 years, we have a small forecourt of around 20 and a unit with our mechanic. 

We currently only offer paint protection as an add on. Today I was looking over a deal for a family member for a car they are buying from listers Bmw, and came across their add ons- gap, dent and scratch protection, alloy and tyre insurance, service packages, etc etc

how many of you with a similar set up offer these extras? Which ones work best/worst? 

Thanks in advance 

Nick 

I would like to see the t&c’s and disclaimers on dent and scratch protection.How much extra per month was it for these add ons.I hope you told them to stick it .....I am meeting a guy tomorrow to discuss my idea for administering ‘ customer care packages’ for under l£10 p/w.Add ons do help but they have to appear good value to the punters.

Yeah he wouldn’t take them anyways but just got me thinking about adding extra profit to deals/value for our customers! 

Agreed the t&cs would be interesting :lol:

tried uploading photos of the cover but won’t work- 

scratch/dent £270 1 yr, £367 2yrs, £477 3yrs

quick scan through and scratches up to 3cm!!! Dents 30cm - only smart repairable /PDR stuff 

Edited by NickGCS

20 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I would like to see the t&c’s and disclaimers on dent and scratch protection.

It will read... ‘Excludes wear and tear’ lol 

• Like 1

All depends on what kind of stock you keep and how good your mechanic is, for example you could offer reversing sensors there cheap to buy easy to fit fully color coded for £199 or hands free car kits, remote central locking upgrades, dab modules 

Take the farther who just bought his daughter a shiny new Peugeot 107 standard radio crap standard front speakers shocking, we do an audio upgrade which replaces the stock head unit for one with DAB hands free aux input bluetooth streaming and front speakers changed for £299, sell it to the farther that his daughter will not be driving on the phone ect charges her phone so on so on item added to sale.

Pulls in an extra £180 profit for 30 mins work.

• Like 1

Just now, MainDealerBiatch said:

I'm currently at a large aPLC .. if we didn't do the add ons and the finance we would be out if business ... 

Stop paying stupid money for cars at auction then? :lol:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EPV said:

Stop paying stupid money for cars at auction then? :lol:

Lol yes the buyers are wankers... all we do is condem the too expensive ones when they have the used car workshop check and reblock them.

PLC for you 

5 hours ago, tradex said:

and dents and scratches;)

I think the only one worth the dough would be key insurance, as long there are no excludes for lost, broken or faulty keys.

i read somewhere that some only cover the blade

some good that is if mia drops the keys in her soup

8 hours ago, MainDealerBiatch said:

I'm currently at a large aPLC .. if we didn't do the add ons and the finance we would be out if business ... 

Remember Comet,white goods sold for cost price or less except it was compulsory for customers to take out the add ons.I think it was new consumer law that killed them.

9 hours ago, justina3 said:

All depends on what kind of stock you keep and how good your mechanic is, for example you could offer reversing sensors there cheap to buy easy to fit fully color coded for £199 or hands free car kits, remote central locking upgrades, dab modules 

Take the farther who just bought his daughter a shiny new Peugeot 107 standard radio crap standard front speakers shocking, we do an audio upgrade which replaces the stock head unit for one with DAB hands free aux input bluetooth streaming and front speakers changed for £299, sell it to the farther that his daughter will not be driving on the phone ect charges her phone so on so on item added to sale.

Pulls in an extra £180 profit for 30 mins work.

Our stock is up to 7 years, 70k max, mixture of everything, German, jap, down to Peugeot, Vauxhall ford etc mostly run of the mill but try and have a couple of more prestige cars too. A good idea for the radio upgrade too though especially with the first time cars! 

8 hours ago, MainDealerBiatch said:

The margins are tighter and tighter and there’s good commissions to be made, really starting to feel the need to maximise the profit opportunity in every deal! 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2018 at 8:43 AM, MainDealerBiatch said:

should be ashamed , if you need add ons to make it pay , time to pack up :) 

On 25/09/2018 at 8:44 AM, EPV said:

Stop paying stupid money for cars at auction then? 

How are they going to fill up all the forecourts, compounds and pitches then? The finance companies provide very low interest stocking loans and they need the finance business in return. Having thousands of cars and "only" making the 5-10 percent (I've heard of 12!) on finance commission is a valid business strategy. I don't envy the "cash buyers with no part exchange and no need for add ons" looking for a great deal. They probably get laughed out of showrooms...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

How are they going to fill up all the forecourts, compounds and pitches then? The finance companies provide very low interest stocking loans and they need the finance business in return. Having thousands of cars and "only" making the 5-10 percent (I've heard of 12!) on finance commission is a valid business strategy. I don't envy the "cash buyers with no part exchange and no need for add ons" looking for a great deal. They probably get laughed out of showrooms...

That happened to a guy I know Nick , Cash buyer with his own detail business so didn't want add on's . Went to buy a BMW and they asked him to leave , told him "we don't do business like that " Shock horror . 

42 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Went to buy a BMW and they asked him to leave

For years we were based very close to CarGiant in West London, we got at least 2-3 sales every month to people that were told they could only buy there on finance or made to wait 5-6 hours until the car underwent "final preparation". They would lose patience, find us online and sometimes even arrived on foot :)

44 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

told him "we don't do business like that "

If it was me I'd haggle for a finance deal "don't care how high your interest is as long as you get me approved", then cancel the finance in 10 days and pay it in full to the finance co. People don't know that they can do this and even after they read it on this forum still wouldn't be sure if it's OK to do.