Sign in to follow this  
MrV

Aston barclay poor condition reports

If an auction centre, in this instance AB fail to include damage such as rust in their condition report for a "buy it now" vehicle, can I do anything about it or is as I expect, tough shit dickead serves you right for buying online? 

7 minutes ago, MrV said:

If an auction centre, in this instance AB fail to include damage such as rust in their condition report for a "buy it now" vehicle, can I do anything about it or is as I expect, tough shit dickead serves you right for buying online? 

I imagine it's a case of tough shit.  One thing is for sure, if they want to get more remote buyers then they really need to up their game in terms of reports  and volume of said products.

4 minutes ago, sparky said:

I imagine it's a case of tough shit.  One thing is for sure, if they want to get more remote buyers then they really need to up their game in terms of reports  and volume of said products.

I completely understand the risks of buying online and why probably later on I'll get roasted for doing it, but that doesn't mean the auction centres should miss important damage out, when I was an assured tester for the double A done of the Bca staff who were appraisers weren't even qualified nor had done the applicable training! 

You have a case if you bought online.  If the condition report has missed obvious things like that, photograph them and raise a complaint, i’d say within 24 hours of delivery. 

If you collected and drove away, or, bought in person, you’re fucked. 

6 minutes ago, EPV said:

You have a case if you bought online.  If the condition report has missed obvious things like that, photograph them and raise a complaint, i’d say within 24 hours of delivery. 

If you collected and drove away, or, bought in person, you’re fucked. 

Ah OK thanks EPV, I've done exactly that thanks, this is the 3rd time I've bought from them and the cars been nowhere near their description, suppose I better get used to it eh 

dont bid on crap without a viewing if that is what they are selling

i note their mercedes section is now mainly sold via app and being there so maybe its work in progress for them

10 minutes ago, boring dave said:

dont bid on crap without a viewing if that is what they are selling

i note their mercedes section is now mainly sold via app and being there so maybe its work in progress for them

This particular car was in decent shape until I took delivery of the bugger, there's no way I'd ever consider buying a car with rust in the condition report which makes this even more annoying, ah well I'll suck it up and move on 

Whats with newbies jumping on and buying online at Auction.

You guys have a lot of time where you can arrange viewings by appointment and travel the length and breadth of the country to go and find stock. You arent going to get anywhere in this job without 6am starts and getting home at midnight sometimes, its just the way it goes.

You really need to be their in person and get down there. See how it works, get a feel for whats selling, see what stock looks good value and develop a bit of an intuition for something that has just had a book drop and looks value.

Online is great when you are replacing big stock numbers and buying 4/5+ a day or at a time but its not without its downsides.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Benjiiii! 

Long time no see. I had all but written you off.

Hehe, I'm still here, just learnt not to ask questions that bring the wrath of the forum with them! 

2 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Whats with newbies jumping on and buying online at Auction.

You guys have a lot of time where you can arrange viewings by appointment and travel the length and breadth of the country to go and find stock. You arent going to get anywhere in this job without 6am starts and getting home at midnight sometimes, its just the way it goes.

You really need to be their in person and get down there. See how it works, get a feel for whats selling, see what stock looks good value and develop a bit of an intuition for something that has just had a book drop and looks value.

Online is great when you are replacing big stock numbers and buying 4/5+ a day or at a time but its not without its downsides.

I do agree on part Rory but use my stupid newbie ass as an example, my target stock is mostly the same handful of cars in certain trim, of certain age, value and mileage but, with an assured report. when buying online I'll never buy a car without a mechanical report so for me that means I'm covered when using this strategy for buying online however I will also say that this strategy wouldn't work if I had to drop my target buying amount, then i would need to get off my ass. 

Welcome back Benji, and with a sensible question too!

I have stopped using AB and I used to buy them physical, the hammer price was high, as were the fees and the 'assured report' covers very little.

HOWEVER! I did manage to get them to take a car back and get a full refund. I was collecting it and hadnt left the yard but it had a knocking noise I hadnt heard when it went through the hall. It did have an 'all clear' assured report, so after a little bit of discussion they agreed to refund. So do try to get something from them - dont ask, dont get. And they wont hold it against you. 

MattR every question I asked IMO was sensible, that's why I'm here now, I don't care if I make myself look like a clown when asking questions I need the answer to!

This was their reply;

"Due to the age of the vehicle we would not report rust as this amount would be deemed as normal wear & tear for a vehicle of this age, however on vehicles of only a few year old or excessive amounts of rust then would be recorded", I'm calling absolute bull on that, nowhere in their grading specifications found here https://www.astonbarclay.net/help-advice/vehicle-grading/ does it say anything about only reporting rust when it's age related!

6 minutes ago, MrV said:

every question I asked IMO was sensible,

IMO being key here. 

IOPO (in other people's opinion) some questions were not sensible :-)

56 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Whats with newbies jumping on and buying online at Auction

Rory's this isn't a newbie, this is Benji. He's BACK

8 minutes ago, MrV said:

MattR every question I asked IMO was sensible, that's why I'm here now, I don't care if I make myself look like a clown when asking questions I need the answer to!

This was their reply;

"Due to the age of the vehicle we would not report rust as this amount would be deemed as normal wear & tear for a vehicle of this age, however on vehicles of only a few year old or excessive amounts of rust then would be recorded", I'm calling absolute bull on that, nowhere in their grading specifications found here https://www.astonbarclay.net/help-advice/vehicle-grading/ does it say anything about only reporting rust when it's age related!

Right, so there wasn’t a condition report? 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

There was and it did not describe any rust at all 

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

There was. No rust was mentioned. Because the car was too old AB said to Benji that their reporting system doesn't report rust on vehicles so old. In Benji's own words: "tough s**t dickead serves you right for buying online"

Edited by Nick M.K.

5 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

IMO being key here. 

IOPO (in other people's opinion) some questions were not sensible :-)

Rory's this isn't a newbie, this is Benji. He's BACK

Oh still a newbie Nick B)

Just now, MrV said:

Oh still a newbie Nick 

There are plenty of newbies on here Benji. No one even comes close to comparing with you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

There was. No rust was mentioned. Because the car was too old AB said to Benji that their reporting system doesn't report rust on vehicles so old. In Benji's own words: "tough s**t dickead serves you right for buying online"

If there is a condition report: “o/s front wing dirt in paint, front bumper scratched, over 50mm” etc and the rust wasn’t mentioned that is plain old wrong and not how manheim or bca operate. I’d be surprised if AB were different. 

If the vehicle is that old i’d Be surprised if there is a condition report at all and Benji is just looking at a generic nama grade. 

5 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

There are plenty of newbies on here Benji. No one even comes close to comparing with you. 

That's because their too scared to make themselves look stupid, I have no self esteem so I couldn't give two sh*** 

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

If there is a condition report: “o/s front wing dirt in paint, front bumper scratched, over 50mm” etc and the rust wasn’t mentioned that is plain old wrong and not how manheim or bca operate. I’d be surprised if AB were different. 

If the vehicle is that old i’d Be surprised if there is a condition report at all and Benji is just looking at a generic nama grade. 

Well apparently they are, that'll be swerving them from now on then. Surely something like that should be advertised? 

1 minute ago, tradex said:

What car and how old....just to fill in the detailsB)

59 hyundai i10

Ok, does the condition report make mention of ANY superficial damage in the report? 

yep it specified 3 areas of damage which are scratches/scuffs

Ok then I would be pressing that further up the chain with AB as if that were BCA or Manheim they would treat it as missed damage on the condition report. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Ok then I would be pressing that further up the chain with AB as if that were BCA or Manheim they would treat it as missed damage on the condition report. 

If that is their policy (only reporting rust on vehicles of certain age) then surely there must be written details such as the age/mileage that it applies to? Surely it can't just be any vehicle they choose?!! I'm amazed no one else is aware of this policy because as far as I'm concerned id rather know about rust than a scratch!