Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

Any landlords on here?

Hi all, I have 2 cars at the body shop and it appears he hasn't been paying his rent and they have padlocked the unit with both my cars inside, whilst I have sympathies with the landlord whats the legal position on getting my cars back, the painter wants shot with shit for letting this happen, all help appreciated

ta 

Andy

Angle grinder and the spare keys would be one of my first thoughts. 

Try the police he has no legal claim to your goods they might reason with him, whilst I feel they might pull it’s a civil matter push the angle in your view it’s theft. 

That’s what I would try. 

You still have title to them. However the landlord shouldn’t release them without confirmation as to who they belong to.... and I guess he needs his tenant to confirm. 

I’d get all Liam Neeson on the painter... 

landlord is away and not replying to emails, what is it with tradesmen in this industry, if its not crap mechanics its now dodgy painters

Mate I feel so bad for you, if something like that happened to me I'd be absolutely livid.

painters, mechanics etc etc couldn't give a hoot

the painter is too thick to worry about Liam Neeson

Criminal damage or not I would 100% be considering approaching a pair of scallies and giving them a rather large incentive to relieve the gate of its padlock. Nobody is any the wiser, you went down to the yard this morning to see if anyone was about and found the gates open and took your property back, officer.

i will just do it myself, the problem is there is a watchman who would call the police

The scallies could persuade him not to

You can tell I've watched too many episodes of the sopranos 

has the locks been changed by the landlord or a bailiff

if bailiff and you enter you may go to prison if convicted

Just now, andymc1973 said:

no idea

there should be a note on the door explaining if he has done it legally

if there is no note then he is witholding your right to your property which i believe is an offence

obviously you need legal help from a solicitor knowledgeable about commercial property laws

on no account break in

11 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

or he could just meet me and i prove title, is that not the easiest way

of course,does he not have a registered office?

20 minutes ago, boring dave said:

Again, someone gets paid to do it, you walk in and collect your property and that's all she wrote. You can prove ownership of the vehicles they are yours and not the landlords, bailiffs or anyone elses. You play dumb, say you went down in the morning to see if anyone had turned up for work and the gates were wide open so you took your cars. End of.

Come on, where's the drama needed on a Friday night?

there are cameras! I cant go to jail over a 2007 Mondeo and a 2010 Fiat 500, free the Chester one

Just now, andymc1973 said:

there are cameras! I cant go to jail over a 2007 Mondeo and a 2010 Fiat 500, free the Chester one

You should go to jail for painting a fucking 2007 mondeo 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, boring dave said:

really?

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

You should go to jail for painting a fucking 2007 mondeo 

lol.

Had this with a polish mechanic. Turned out to be dodgy as hell. They locked one of our engines in the premises and a BMW as I recall, because the mechanic owed the landlord money. The landlord was a shady bugger. We couldn't exactly mess with him. The engine wasn't even finished, but the mechanic still asked us for payment, which he gave to the landlord and they then released our things.

I'm pretty sure we called the police and they said it was a civil matter. Sorry Andy

4 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

really?

12 minutes ago, EPV said:

Again, someone gets paid to do it, you walk in and collect your property and that's all she wrote. You can prove ownership of the vehicles they are yours and not the landlords, bailiffs or anyone elses. You play dumb, say you went down in the morning to see if anyone had turned up for work and the gates were wide open so you took your cars. End of.

Come on, where's the drama needed on a Friday night?

12 minutes ago, EPV said:

the landlord will not be aware these cars are not owned by a 3rd party so if he has done his job properly he should have used the local bailiff company to go with him and give the tenant a  walk in possession order,this means nothing can be removed for 7 days in which time the tenant can find the funds to pay the dept

it is a criminal offence if this has been done and not only will you find your insurance dearer you will have to declare it on your trade plate renewal etc when you come out of durham jail

this is not to be taken lightly