Sign in to follow this  
Pip

I give up! Is it just me?

16 hours ago, Dealer said:

I've had them leave a deposit as the car is a good price, right colour and spec etc, held car for a week only for the numpties to turn up and try to start negotiating the price......... I'd had the sense to keep the numbers of other enquiries in the meantime so told the original customer to do one and also sold the car the same day to another person. 

I dont take a deposit until I've seen a customer and theyve seen the car - no 'holding deposit' over the phone for me. I dont want to take a car off sale for 3 days based on a telephone conversation and miss anyone in between. theres only 1 beneficiary to deposits in advance of viewing and thats the customer. Ive encountered them before where theyve admitted to putting holding deposits on 3 other cars, just to reserve them till they get around to viewing them - thats at least 2 disappointed businesses. It also seems to speed up how quickly they can get around to seeing the car - strange that.

My only concession is i'll put it 'on hold' while theyre travelling, but they have to call to tell me they are getting in the car or train NOW.

But then I dont offer an extensive video like Simon does whereby I think he is absolutely justified in doing business his way.

11 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

I dont take a deposit until I've seen a customer and theyve seen the car - no 'holding deposit' over the phone for me. I dont want to take a car off sale for 3 days based on a telephone conversation and miss anyone in between. theres only 1 beneficiary to deposits in advance of viewing and thats the customer. Ive encountered them before where theyve admitted to putting holding deposits on 3 other cars, just to reserve them till they get around to viewing them - thats at least 2 disappointed businesses. It also seems to speed up how quickly they can get around to seeing the car - strange that.

My only concession is i'll put it 'on hold' while theyre travelling, but they have to call to tell me they are getting in the car or train NOW.

But then I dont offer an extensive video like Simon does whereby I think he is absolutely justified in doing business his way.

Exactly the same here.

I always tell people to call me before they set off to ensure the car is still available, out of courtesy I give them a "reasonable" amount of time to arrive based on their starting point/distance to travel and temporarily "hold" the car until they have seen it.

Easy to manage as a doorstepper/appointment basis - less so if you get a walk on at the pitch waving cash at you - what to do.

I am currently holding a car until Monday (old boy can't do Internet banking himself) despite having another guy begging for the same car.  I perosnally prefer the sound of the original guy anyway and believe he will be less hassle, so worth the risk.

I’ll hold a car for a week with a £250 deposit. It’s non refundable and a receipt is issued with that wording. The car is left up for sale and any subsequent enquiries are recorded and kept just in case. 

Because of how I run things, I will rarely end up putting a car back on sale. 

41 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I always tell people to call me before they set off to ensure the car is still available, out of courtesy I give them a "reasonable" amount of time to arrive based on their starting point/distance to travel and temporarily "hold" the car until they have seen it.

Easy to manage as a doorstepper/appointment basis - less so if you get a walk on at the pitch waving cash at you - what to do.

17 hours ago, Dealer said:

I've had them leave a deposit as the car is a good price, right colour and spec etc, held car for a week only for the numpties to turn up and try to start negotiating the price......... I'd had the sense to keep the numbers of other enquiries in the meantime so told the original customer to do one and also sold the car the same day to another person. 

Mark, very hard to say no, but I took the 'call when you're on the way and I'll hold' decision following a whinging google review from customer who had booked to look at a car and I sold it just before he arrived. I've stuck to it ever since (about 3 years ago).Fortunately it is unusual for anyone to travel for longer than 2 hours to me so I've only had a few occasions when a walk on has looked at a car someone is on the way to see and they have appreciated the situation. I take their details and promise to call them with the outcome, which I do. as a rule the appointment tends to buy, but I did have to call one walk on back who gratefully rushed back and bought. 

In the multi bread and butter world, i take kit of sale with a deposit we often got two or three of the same in prep or arriving shortly so hardly ever lose a customer can think of the last time we did, lots of dealers around me dont so we like to say yes when people say no seems to make a difference. 

We also give deposits back which works for us, we had a guy not like the shade of purple on a fiesta he reserved so we give him his deposit back he bought a car elsewhere and it turned out to be a shed and the dealer quickly disappeared back into the petrol station back yard he came from so come to buying time for his daughter he came back to us.

Everyone is different if it works for you no skin of my nose. 

4 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, Matt Reid said:

when the MMT plays up.... 

Exactly that!

Used to buy these years back when they went wrong, fit a clutch pedal and slave , tweak a few wires here and there, and it was a manual!

On 17/08/2018 at 5:36 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

He marched the rude ignorant Twat off his property, not the female buyer. She had the choice to continue, she walked. I’ve been in the same situation a few times, show offs, know it all’s or just the purely ignorant try to scupper just to make themselves feel big. Fuck em. 

+1. The contract was with the lady. The deposit was taken in person and as such is non-refundable. She has broken the contract, NOT the seller. 

18 hours ago, EPV said:

I’ll hold a car for a week with a £250 deposit. It’s non refundable and a receipt is issued with that wording. The car is left up for sale and any subsequent enquiries are recorded and kept just in case. 

Unless a deposit is in person it is refundable.