Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Today's rant: Saturday "Buyers"

if they have a few to look at I don't mind a drive but I wont entertain any offers or discounts until they decide its the one for them.

and again if we are not pretty much agreed on figures or in the same ballpark they are not driving the car.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dan W said:

if they have a few to look at I don't mind a drive but I wont entertain any offers or discounts until they decide its the one for them.

and again if we are not pretty much agreed on figures or in the same ballpark they are not driving the car.

Unfortunately sometimes offers come in after they've driven the car. At least they do the way I progress the conversation. They see it, they drive it, we talk numbers. It should be the other way around though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Do any of you allow test drives without a deposit or without the customer's verbal confirmation that they'll have the car?

Yes, 99% of us.

I do my best to feel them out on the phone but I’m not perfect and understand some people do need to see a car & they may not like it.

However if they turn-up and I smell eau de timewaster or hear first “we’ve others to see” I normally dig further but if I don’t hear the answers I’m looking for I refuse the test drive. It’s lead to a couple of stand-offs/unhappy punters but I advise them it’s my business, my property, my cars so I’m not going to spend time & money on for them to go & play me off against another seller. 

11 minutes ago, BHM said:

Yes, 99% of us.

I do my best to feel them out on the phone but I’m not perfect and understand some people do need to see a car & they may not like it.

However if they turn-up and I smell eau de timewaster or hear first “we’ve others to see” I normally dig further but if I don’t hear the answers I’m looking for I refuse the test drive. It’s lead to a couple of stand-offs/unhappy punters but I advise them it’s my business, my property, my cars so I’m not going to spend time & money on for them to go & play me off against another seller. 

Succinct and to the point. As usual.

I don’t mind having my time wasted during the week, I can handle it, part of the job, but when somebody is desperate to see a car on a Sunday and is adamant they are ready buy and  they then turn out to be time wasters it drives me up the wall, every time I say never again on a Sunday.

4 minutes ago, david gott said:

I don’t mind having my time wasted during the week, I can handle it, part of the job, but when somebody is desperate to see a car on a Sunday and is adamant they are ready buy and  they then turn out to be time wasters it drives me up the wall, every time I say never again on a Sunday.

ask frank

just say no

we are a long time dead

the car will sell 

never be desperate

customers smell it

:)

it took me a long long time to realise this by the way

7 hours ago, mrs maybe said:

ask frank

just say no

we are a long time dead

the car will sell 

never be desperate

customers smell it

:)

it took me a long long time to realise this by the way

Very true.

12 hours ago, david gott said:

I used to do pre-appointed viewings on Sunday morning but found that those who called on the day, usually the afternoon, weren't worth doing. Generally my time was wasted so I stopped doing them.

22 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Do any of you allow test drives without a deposit or without the customer's verbal confirmation that they'll have the car?

22 hours ago, BHM said:

Yes, because I think thats the right way to do it. I qualify them as best I can, but sometimes, one will slip through the net. Last week, young lady, in with Mum and Dad. A pre booked appointment, so I'm ready for the drive. Dad asks about service history, which it doesnt have. This seems to bother him, but they keep looking around it, then ask about her driving it. I'm blunt at this point, and say it doesnt have a service history before the test drive, that will be the same when we get back from the drive, will that be the issue then that stops you buying the car? He says no and she drives the car.

And when we are nearly back very nearly has an accident.

they then 'need to think about it'

and then decide not to buy it because 'its quite big' and has no service history...... 

So I risk my well being, my insurance premium, and my car for someone who thinks we are just here for a trip out. The sad thing is, I'm now more likely to be harsh and blunt to someone who doesnt deserve it because of this.  

My Rant Over!

3 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

she drives the car.

did you see her licence? its 21 here but we tell them 25

sorts some of the short wearing men dudes out too

33 minutes ago, mrs maybe said:

did you see her licence? its 21 here but we tell them 25

sorts some of the short wearing men dudes out too

just her pass certificate from the week before! I sell lots of small cars so young drivers all the time. most of them are fine

Sometimes they just don't like the car (or it's not what they had imagined I guess) once they've had a drive.  Always difficult is parents buying for kids too.  Ungrateful little sods quite often.

Can't let it get to you.  Next.

I don't mind a (reasonably well qualified) test drive as I've said before.  It cleans off the discs and gives them a run if nothing else.

I will FOR SURE value their px and discuss prices before any demo though usually- unless it's a sticker, and then you're hoping they might talk themselves into it on a test drive.  

There's no sure-fire bulletproof way of not getting mucked about however.  You can't go swimming without getting wet (better analogies are welcome.  What was that Eric Cantona one about seagulls and boats?)

2 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Sometimes they just don't like the car (or it's not what they had imagined I guess) once they've had a drive.  Always difficult is parents buying for kids too.  Ungrateful little sods quite often.

Can't let it get to you.  Next.

I don't mind a (reasonably well qualified) test drive as I've said before.  It cleans off the discs and gives them a run if nothing else.

I will FOR SURE value their px and discuss prices before any demo though usually- unless it's a sticker, and then you're hoping they might talk themselves into it on a test drive.  

There's no sure-fire bulletproof way of not getting mucked about however.  You can't go swimming without getting wet (better analogies are welcome.  What was that Eric Cantona one about seagulls and boats?)

If ze seagulls follow ze trawler, it is because zey think there vill be fish sthrown into ze sea

Slightly less German that that.

13 minutes ago, EPV said:

If ze seagulls follow ze trawler, it is because zey think there vill be fish sthrown into ze sea

Slightly less German that that.

French....

I know, it was just the way I wrote it looked German