Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

Citroen C4 Picasso Automatic

Sold one of the above a few months ago. Guy comes back saying sometimes it's not selecting gears properly and just revs and then takes a while to engage. Anyone had this problem and can perhaps point me in the right direction. I haven't had it code read yet as I'm out of the uk and away from the office at the moment. 

I’ve sold loads of these and experienced pretty much every possible issue lol. 

They behave in this way when the clutch needs changing.  Assuming it’s the semi automatic version? 

Yes it is Del, cost approx? Bloody thing has only done 57k!

1 minute ago, MSP Motors said:

Is this the EGC box?

Yes

9 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Yes

It will be the actuater. There are not many french things I won't buy but these are on my death list, unless cheap. Shame because the sell well.

Just now, sparky said:

It will be the actuater. There are not many french things I won't buy but these are on my death list, unless cheap. Shame because the sell well.

Well, the actuator would be a cheaper and easier fix than the clutch. I had to replace the clutch on a Peugeot 3008, after messing around with actuators/fluid. If it's the clutch then I'd imagine it's also a dmf and slave replacement as Well........ Unless your first name is arfur..... It was an expensive fix If I remember.

Clutch change is expensive, depends on your hourly rate. It’s around an 8 hour job. Could be actuator but doubt it, either way it’s not cheap. My advice here would be take it to someone who knows what they’re talking about. You don’t wanna pay for a clutch change and it turns out to be the actuator or vice versa.  

25 minutes ago, sparky said:

But its only a manual gearbox with a robot to press the clutch and change gears for you..... what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Clutch change is expensive, depends on your hourly rate. It’s around an 8 hour job. Could be actuator but doubt it, either way it’s not cheap. My advice here would be take it to someone who knows what they’re talking about. You don’t wanna pay for a clutch change and it turns out to be the actuator or vice versa.  

What like parts darts you mean! 

i had issue with a 11 grand picasso, slow gear change and sometimes not driving/flashing gearbox error, wasted 3 wks with indy garage and ended up going to citroen dealer and changed everything £1200

5 minutes ago, AB Motors NI said:

i had issue with a 11 grand picasso, slow gear change and sometimes not driving/flashing gearbox error, wasted 3 wks with indy garage and ended up going to citroen dealer and changed everything £1200

Gulp! 

If it’s juddering when setting off it’s very probably the clutch at fault - these must be the shittest robotised-clutch transmission ever invented cos they wear clutches worse than a learner driver. And never mind scrimping on the DMF unlike other greedy chancers on this forum!

Tbh are these one of the shittest cars ever made?

As someone earlier wrote, a shame cos they’re popular with the punters but f*** me, just about EVERYTHING f***s up on them. 

1 minute ago, BHM said:

If it’s juddering when setting off it’s very probably the clutch at fault - these must be the shittest robotised-clutch transmission ever invented cos they wear clutches worse than a learner driver. And never mind scrimping on the DMF unlike other greedy chancers on this forum!

Tbh are these one of the shittest cars ever made?

As someone earlier wrote, a shame cos they’re popular with the punters but f*** me, just about EVERYTHING f***s up on them. 

I've had many with the judder but ive got away with it by saying "they're all like that" to the customers! Only happens in 1st and reverse anyway and changes ok after that. It's this current problem that's doing my bonce in. 

1 minute ago, Dealer said:

I've had many with the judder but ive got away with it by saying "they're all like that" to the customers! Only happens in 1st and reverse anyway and changes ok after that. It's this current problem that's doing my bonce in. 

The juddering isn’t the clutch. This can be calibrated using Citroen/Peugeot Lexia diag tool. 

3 hours ago, MSP Motors said:

If it's the clutch then I'd imagine it's also a dmf and slave replacement as Well........ Unless your first name is arfur..... It was an expensive fix If I remember.

I replace what needs to be replaced, no more no less. :P

23 hours ago, Dealer said:

Sold one of the above a few months ago. Guy comes back saying sometimes it's not selecting gears properly and just revs and then takes a while to engage. Anyone had this problem and can perhaps point me in the right direction. I haven't had it code read yet as I'm out of the uk and away from the office at the moment. 

Off topic but I'm guessing you self warrant then?

Clutch? Wear and tear surely, move along mr punter, nothing to see here....

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Clutch? Wear and tear surely, move along mr punter, nothing to see here....

good luck with that approach

2 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

good luck with that approach

Are clutches not wear and tear items then? Even mr clutch only give a 12,000 mile warranty on clutches, if the punter has done 10,000 miles in a few months, why would you replace one under CRA? 

Most items are wear and tear. I would imagine Most customers do not understand the automatic car they bought is a manual box with an actuator strapped on the side of it. Even if it was a manual gearbox, unless the customer has done absolutely mega miles in it, there's no way that a car they have spent good money on should become undrivable within 2 months. The problem would have been present at the time of purchase in most probability and it is doubtful any dealer could prove otherwise. If it was a manual car then maybe, just maybe you could blame the customer for burning out the clutch, but without a clutch pedal, I think its impossible to blame the customer.

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

Are clutches not wear and tear items then? Even mr clutch only give a 12,000 mile warranty on clutches, if the punter has done 10,000 miles in a few months, why would you replace one under CRA? 

I don't think this is a mr.clutch job either. This gearbox is shite, I would never buy one again, however you cant fuck the customer off with "wear and tear mate, jog on fella" as the clutch is not operated by the customer, but the car. The car has done 57,000 miles and to expect the customer to shell out well over a grand 2 months down the line because the gearbox won't engage is bullshit. 

6 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

Most items are wear and tear. I would imagine Most customers do not understand the automatic car they bought is a manual box with an actuator strapped on the side of it. Even if it was a manual gearbox, unless the customer has done absolutely mega miles in it, there's no way that a car they have spent good money on should become undrivable within 2 months. The problem would have been present at the time of purchase in most probability and it is doubtful any dealer could prove otherwise. If it was a manual car then maybe, just maybe you could blame the customer for burning out the clutch, but without a clutch pedal, I think its impossible to blame the customer.

OP said a few months. That’s 3 or more in my book. The car has driven fine for a few months now it needs a new clutch, if that’s what it is? I don’t understand these particular transmissions myself, are they not in need of clutch replacements as frequently as a standard manual car? 

The clutches in these always start to fail around 60k. You’re better of buying one with 80-90k on it, knowing it’s had a clutch change already. 

4 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

The clutches in these always start to fail around 60k. You’re better of buying one with 80-90k on it, knowing it’s had a clutch change already. 

I think mine has 21k on the clock, I think the actuator was at fault and had put excessive wear on the clutch.

aside from the dismal gearbox, the small diesel engine's in these return very impressive MPGs which is why these Picasso's are popular with punters...