AutoJacob

Providing a refund on a car not yet handed over?

Hi guys

In a bit of a pickle here a customer has bought a car, brand new clutch fitted prior to them buying it.. however slave cylinder has gone and contaminated the new clutch.

They're now thinking about a refund, however I've offered a loan car and promised to get it fixed in 3 days.

What would you guys normally do in a situation like this, without providing a refund?

Cheers

Depends on the customers really. If they’re whining and moaning just refund them and sell it to someone else. If they’re whining now, when you’re effectively replacing bits of the car to save them from doing it, what will they be like when they do take the car? “The clutch doesn’t feel right” or “it’s making a funny noise” or “I can hear it at night crying it’s in pain” 

You’ve planted the seed that something is wrong with the car and that’s what they have in their mind now. 

Technically they haven’t taken ownership so they can’t reject it but I don’t think this is about technicalities it’s about a business decision for you. 

• Like 2

Let them do whatever they want to do and move on, lifes too short for screamers and if you start off with them unsure about car they gonna live with u. better them reject now than have it 6 month n reject cus they feel clutch "isnt right" and say u knew problem was there when purchased.

12 minutes ago, EPV said:

Depends on the customers really. If they’re whining and moaning just refund them and sell it to someone else. If they’re whining now, when you’re effectively replacing bits of the car to save them from doing it, what will they be like when they do take the car? “The clutch doesn’t feel right” or “it’s making a funny noise” or “I can hear it at night crying it’s in pain” 

You’ve planted the seed that something is wrong with the car and that’s what they have in their mind now. 

Technically they haven’t taken ownership so they can’t reject it but I don’t think this is about technicalities it’s about a business decision for you. 

+1

If they’ve not yet accepted it I’d ASSUME a private punter has every right to back out of a deal?

You have to get it fixed anyway so go ahead with the repairs & see what the customer’s attitude is at handover time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BHM said:

If they’ve not yet accepted it I’d ASSUME a private punter has every right to back out of a deal?

You have to get it fixed anyway so go ahead with the repairs & see what the customer’s attitude is at handover time.

I'll play it by here, they are going away Friday morning, I will be delivering the car to them Thursday afternoon so ofcourse I want everything to be right for them before they go away, I have reassured them for now.

28 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

they are going away Friday morning

FFS, refund them yesterday !!  Imagine what is going to happen if something else sh!ts it's pants on their Hols, they'll want compo, mountain rescue, hire car, 4 poster hotel suites etc etc etc.

And I can't believe you fitted a Clutch without doing the Concentric Release Brg, jeez, I did that once when they first started with them, next week i was doing it again, never ever will I not fit a 3 piece kit these days ;)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

FFS, refund them yesterday !!  Imagine what is going to happen if something else sh!ts it's pants on their Hols, they'll want compo, mountain rescue, hire car, 4 poster hotel suites etc etc etc.

And I can't believe you fitted a Clutch without doing the Concentric Release Brg, jeez, I did that once when they first started with them, next week i was doing it again, never ever will I not fit a 3 piece kit these days ;)

Dave, I realise you mean well but you also have to realise that a large majority of car dealers aren't experts on mechanics. There's a reason why I sell cars and don't mend them, i'm doing OK at the former and i would be utter chaos at the latter. Most of us pay a garage to do the needful and don't question them if they have changed the flux capacitor because A; We assume the garages we use are competent and know these things and B: Most of us don't know what a flux capacitor is.

Just now, EPV said:

Dave, I realise you mean well but you also have to realise that a large majority of car dealers aren't experts on mechanics. There's a reason why I sell cars and don't mend them, i'm doing OK at the former and i would be utter chaos at the latter. Most of us pay a garage to do the needful and don't question them if they have changed the flux capacitor because A; We assume the garages we use are competent and know these things and B: Most of us don't know what a flux capacitor is.

2 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

Hi guys

In a bit of a pickle here a customer has bought a car, brand new clutch fitted prior to them buying it.. however slave cylinder has gone and contaminated the new clutch.

They're now thinking about a refund, however I've offered a loan car and promised to get it fixed in 3 days.

What would you guys normally do in a situation like this, without providing a refund?

Cheers

I am with dave on this one, you done have to be edd china to know when you change a clutch its almost mind blowing retarded not to do the bearing at the same time. 

Just now, justina3 said:

I am with dave on this one, you done have to be edd china to know when you change a clutch its almost mind blowing retarded not to do the bearing at the same time. 

Well, you do have your own workshop so I imagine you would know that :)

Just now, EPV said:

Well, you do have your own workshop so I imagine you would know that :)

Ok i concede your point there. 

I’m with Dave on this. Any one man band should know a lot about the mechanics of a car - if you don’t then as the only person responsible how on earth do you expect your cars to be right? You don’t need to know how to repair the problem (how many of us could fully refurbish an alternator?) BUT you should have some idea of the workings of motor vehicles.

As an example I wouldn’t be able to change a clutch without a mentor beside me but I know when one is knackered & I know that at the very least a 3-parter should be replaced, and if it’s got the dreaded DMF then 9 times out of 10 it’ll be all 4 parts.

A few years of experiencing secondhand motors will soon improve your knowledge of the workings, and failings of secondhand cars!

6 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’m with Dave on this. Any one man band should know a lot about the mechanics of a car - if you don’t then as the only person responsible how on earth do you expect your cars to be right? You don’t need to know how to repair the problem (how many of us could fully refurbish an alternator?) BUT you should have some idea of the workings of motor vehicles.

As an example I wouldn’t be able to change a clutch without a mentor beside me but I know when one is knackered & I know that at the very least a 3-parter should be replaced, and if it’s got the dreaded DMF then 9 times out of 10 it’ll be all 4 parts.

A few years of experiencing secondhand motors will soon improve your knowledge of the workings, and failings of secondhand cars!

I’ve learnt by spending 100k’s in garages over the years, if you are not a mechanic, you learn through your wallet. Cars are a commodity, we are business men, we buy we sell, we trade. 

11 minutes ago, BHM said:

I know a shagged clutch. I don’t know that a certain bit needs changing at the same time. I expect my garage to know that. 

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’ve learnt by spending 100k’s in garages over the years, if you are not a mechanic, you learn through your wallet. Cars are a commodity, we are business men, we buy we sell, we trade. 

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Dave it was a 3pc clutch kit (with the hydraulic cylinder) however it's just shat it's self.

EPV - I didn't know much about mechanics when starting out and can't really work on cars myself. 

What I do know is I don't like being taken for a ride so I soon made sure to learn what was what and research jobs etc so garages that appeared friendly were not having my pants down. 

Now we have our own workshop its important to know basics just to ensure any staff involved in that side of things don't take 5 hours for 1 hour jobs etc.

I would inform the punter and own up to your cock up.I would offer a full refund or a better car for the same money to make up for their time,trouble and disappointment.If you insist they collect the car against their wishes,you are asking for trouble.....

46 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

EPV - I didn't know much about mechanics when starting out and can't really work on cars myself. 

What I do know is I don't like being taken for a ride so I soon made sure to learn what was what and research jobs etc so garages that appeared friendly were not having my pants down. 

Now we have our own workshop its important to know basics just to ensure any staff involved in that side of things don't take 5 hours for 1 hour jobs etc.

Fair points, all stuff i’m sure i’ll Learn. 

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

I would inform the punter and own up to your cock up.I would offer a full refund or a better car for the same money to make up for their time,trouble and disappointment.If you insist they collect the car against their wishes,you are asking for trouble.....

But it's not a cockup, is it? it's a failed brand release bearing! If they want a refund, give it to them, if not carry on with the repair/sale.

Completing the deal with this customer is going to be short term gain for long term pain. Fire them off, get the car 100% right and sell to someone else

43 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

But it's not a cockup, is it? it's a failed brand release bearing! If they want a refund, give it to them, if not carry on with the repair/sale.

Sorry MSP,lost in translation,where we come from,failing to deliver as agreed for whatever reason,constitutes a cock up.....if you have a pitch cock ups in various guises are a daily occurrence.

3 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

Dave it was a 3pc clutch kit (with the hydraulic cylinder) however it's just shat it's self.

Bummer !!

BTW, I wasn't trying to sound offensive, and you've answered me, you did indeed change it !! I just come across as abrupt sometimes, I say it how I see it ;) 

FWIW, (and obviously you may have), I always use the LUK Clutch Kits, rather that the cheapies.

I have only had one LUK Concentric Bearing go, in a fair few years now, like you it was immediate, like whilst on road test, and was on a Vauxhall Astra.

The Factors did cough up a few hrs labour at trade rate as goodwill gesture ;)

These concentric Bearings are a right pain, and I feel yours, it is a real bugger when you fit a new part only to find it's wafty :(

I also agree with the other post about DMF's, if I'm doing a Clutch on a vehicle with DMF then it's having one of them too, or I will simply turn the job away ;) Again I only use LUK.

Cheers Dave

In my book, you only replace a DMF if its rattling or showing wear, if its not show wear or rattling I keep my money in my pocket. Never had a comeback in 30+ years.

I agree with you on a sales car, statutory warranty etc, but if I'm putting a Clutch kit in a workshop customers MB, VW, whatever then I personally have to guarantee it, and I don't wanna be doing it again in 6 months time cos they are whinging it rattles or judders ;) 

30 years !! That is around when they first appeared in about 1995 era ;)

Like me, you're showing your age lol